Adam Dunn is not done

soxfan-kwman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)
Can't speak to whether Adam Dunn's strength is still where it was, but the Orioles announcers and replay made it painfully obvious last night that he's not close to timing anything, and that's his biggest problem right now. His swing starts way too late on the fastball and he's way out in front of anything offspeed.

I would imagine his strength is still there...that's a big dude. But I saw the same thing with his swing. It doesn't look like he's missing the ball by a foot but rather just mis-timing his swing. His swings on breaking balls look atrocious, almost like he recognizes he's swung too early and tries to slow down.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just imagine if by some miracle the Sox were in contention. Any crucial situation in Aug/Sept, the opposition just has to bring in a lefty and Dunn has no chance and the rally is squelched. How can you have that guy of hitter in the middle of your lineup?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 06:30 PM)
I was a little concerned the other day when Dunn said he got all of the ball against Valverde, and the wind kept it in the park. In the old days, Dunn had enough power to hit it out of any park with any wind conditions.

Yeah but it was real high and that wind was at maybe 35-40 MPH. It was beig blown all ove the place. Remember he hit two doubles in that game. He can still do it I am betting. I was as disappointed as anyone last yer in Dunn and Rios but they are here and I am convinced they are professional driven players wanting hard to suceed

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Apr 18, 2012 -> 01:04 PM)
Yeah but it was real high and that wind was at maybe 35-40 MPH. It was beig blown all ove the place. Remember he hit two doubles in that game. He can still do it I am betting. I was as disappointed as anyone last yer in Dunn and Rios but they are here and I am convinced they are professional driven players wanting hard to suceed

Too high? What do you mean too high?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Jordan4life @ May 6, 2012 -> 12:14 AM)
Sweet thread bump. Yes, Dunn definitely appears to not be done.
feet f

Not only not done. He's good. We're getting this all year.

I love Dunn. Its stupid how much easier his GW homer swing looks than Konerko's, yet Dunn's went aout 69 further. He's a f***ing stallion. He is, for lack of a better term, THE hengst.

He'd need 27 more bombs this year to reach 400. I think that's doable...

If he hits more than 35 this season, stays healthy, and has found his stroke there is an outside chance he could get 500 in a Sox uniform unless he's traded...

QUOTE (McDude @ May 6, 2012 -> 12:15 PM)
It's crazy to think by the end of this month he'll probably have the same or more home runs than all of last year. Glad to see things clicking for him.

Hell, he could do that by the end of the week.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ May 9, 2012 -> 10:14 PM)
Dunn is going to have to hit more hrs to catch Hamilton. Lol. Dunn is in the driver's seat to be CPOTY. Unless Peavy gets it.

Plus, all those guys returning from injury like Buster Posey will be under consideration.

Jamie Moyer would be a very sentimental pick, but highly unlikely.

Dunn though came off one of the worst season ever put by a starting player. He better hit 40 hrs this season.

So what is the difference between this year and last? Hitting coach? Better offseason preparation? Learning the pitchers better in the new league?

QUOTE (sunofgold @ May 10, 2012 -> 10:45 AM)
Dunn though came off one of the worst season ever put by a starting player. He better hit 40 hrs this season.

So what is the difference between this year and last? Hitting coach? Better offseason preparation? Learning the pitchers better in the new league?

From the sounds of everything, yes to all three, plus playing in the field more, and understanding being a DH better.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 10, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
From the sounds of everything, yes to all three, plus playing in the field more, and understanding being a DH better.

That was a good move by Robin having him play first base more. And Paulie doesn't get mad about it cause he's been banged up some (right?). I'm sure putting him in the field a lot more gets him more involved in things. Since he appears thinner, his defense hasn't been rotten at all.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 10, 2012 -> 05:22 AM)
Plus, all those guys returning from injury like Buster Posey will be under consideration.

Jamie Moyer would be a very sentimental pick, but highly unlikely.

Unless I am mistaken, which hs happened once or twice, I think there is a player in each league selected?

QUOTE (greg775 @ May 10, 2012 -> 01:28 PM)
That was a good move by Robin having him play first base more. And Paulie doesn't get mad about it cause he's been banged up some (right?). I'm sure putting him in the field a lot more gets him more involved in things. Since he appears thinner, his defense hasn't been rotten at all.

He's looked decent at 1st base. I don't think Konerko minds DHing more often, and it doesn't seem to affect how well he hits. This is more of what I expected to see as far as a shared workload of 1st/DH.

QUOTE (flavum @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
So is Dunn playing LF next weekend?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 11, 2012 -> 10:39 AM)
Unless Dayan has gotten really hot, and Dunn has slumped, you have to think about it.

Interesting thought, Id still give Dayan a couple more weeks/a month to get it goin. Itd be a shame if he can't get it goin and they have to give up on him.

If they're still contending though(I still believe they can still contend with a struggling Dayan) thats certainly one way to rev up the offense. Who do they DH though? Dan Johnson? Tyler Flowers and call up Phegley?