2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
I don't get why they b**** so much about it, it's great guaranteed money for one year. Yeah you don't get the big deal but it's an effective way to keep a player on a team while still in "negotiations" while also paying the player top dollar.

Honestly I think the stupidest thing a player can do is holdout.

I'd be pissed too. Instead of getting a multi-year deal with more guaranteed money (i.e., security in case of injury) he's got to play basically for yearly contracts. It's kind of bogus, especially since he's arguably the second most important player on the team.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 02:03 PM)
I'd be pissed too. Instead of getting a multi-year deal with more guaranteed money (i.e., security in case of injury) he's got to play basically for yearly contracts. It's kind of bogus, especially since he's arguably the second most important player on the team.

Then agree to a reasonable contract extension.

For people who dont like what the Bears have done so far this offseason, mostly non Bears fan, if the Bears had Campbell and Bush last season theyd EASILY have made the playoffs. We also got a WR that was significantly better than anyone available in FA who already has a proven track record with our QB. We also resigned Davis, Idonije, Steltz, McCown etc for depth. Sure there are other things they need to address but you cant fix everything in FA.

The Bears were in on Mario Williams but he got too expensive. They were also close to getting Mincey also, so they appear to have a good idea where their weaknesses are. There werent many affordable OL options that would have been huge upgrades so Id assume they will address OL and DL in the draft along with bolstering the WR corps a little more.

The Bush signing is huge. Hes proven he can be a very good back in the league and plays a complete game. Hes also young and as someone else pointed out he doesnt have a ton of mileage on him. If Forte is mad than thats fine, the Bears have been trying to sign him long term and offered a very fair deal and he turned it down.

We went from bringing in Roy Williams and MB3 to Marshall, Bush and Campbell. You can already see the difference the change in GM has made. I havent been this excited for a draft that the Bears didnt have a top 10 pick for in as long as I can remember.

And with the life cycle of RB's being what it is, I agree with the Bears.

He turned down the multi-year offer. I love me some Forte, but after watching Peterson have his leg amputated after signing for 300 million, you just can't pay RB like that anymore.

I can understand both sides. For the Bears why would you give a guy a guarantee of 20-25 million when you can tag him for 7 a year (especially when he was so underpaid his first few seasons). From Forte's side, Chris Johnson just signed a multi-year deal with a 10 million signing bonus and 7-10 mil base per year. So i'd be angry too knowing that my paycheck is limited to a one year contract for 7.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 01:00 PM)
Forte is offically pissed...

You turned down a contract offer......................b**** to your union they agreed to labor deal of franchise tags. You get $7.742 million for 2012 not 500,000 grand the public is not gonna feel sorry for you MT!

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)
I can understand both sides. For the Bears why would you give a guy a guarantee of 20-25 million when you can tag him for 7 a year (especially when he was so underpaid his first few seasons). From Forte's side, Chris Johnson just signed a multi-year deal with a 10 million signing bonus and 7-10 mil base per year. So i'd be angry too knowing that my paycheck is limited to a one year contract for 7.

Plus for the past two years they have given more money to your back ups.

Both who aren't nearly as good as you are.

I think Forte will be traded. I just dont' know if the Bears will get more than a 2nd rounder for him (and I really don't know if they'd even get that). However, I'd be content if they got a 2nd rounder for Forte at this point because long term, I don't see the Bears keeping him (based upon what they just did).

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 02:58 PM)

Well the Bears did offer him an extension, but he said no to it. (More like 15 mil guranteed, not 20-25) I do understand where Forte is coming from too, just his move of playing the victim card to the public isn't the best one IMO.

No fan is gonna feel sorry for him when he has been offered an extension already to which he said no, and when his 2012 salary will be $7 million a year guaranteed.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 03:27 PM)
Well the Bears did offer him an extension, but he said no to it. (More like 15 mil guranteed, not 20-25) I do understand where Forte is coming from too, just his move of playing the victim card to the public isn't the best one IMO.

No fan is gonna feel sorry for him when he has been offered an extension already to which he said no, and when his 2012 salary will be $7 million a year guaranteed.

I get both sides really, it isn't that complicated. Football is different because of the non-guaranteed nature of their contacts. I understand a player holding out because their contract means nothing. I also understand the Bears not paying up, because RBs historically fall off of cliffs very quickly, and oh yeah, Forte is coming off of a pretty serious knee injury.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
I get both sides really, it isn't that complicated. Football is different because of the non-guaranteed nature of their contacts. I understand a player holding out because their contract means nothing. I also understand the Bears not paying up, because RBs historically fall off of cliffs very quickly, and oh yeah, Forte is coming off of a pretty serious knee injury.

If Forte was seriously worried about the non-guaranteed nature of those contracts, then he could have signed an extension 2 years ago, probably gotten $12-$15 million, and been well on his way to renegotiating already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
If Forte was seriously worried about the non-guaranteed nature of those contracts, then he could have signed an extension 2 years ago, probably gotten $12-$15 million, and been well on his way to renegotiating already.

Except that would have been less money than getting tagged twice, so he gets screwed both ways. It's pretty s***ty of the Bears to not offer him a 20-25 million dollar 3 year deal with like 15-18 guaranteed. That would have been market rate for a guy as important as he is. I understand why the Bears didn't, but it doesn't make it less s***ty for Forte.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
Except that would have been less money than getting tagged twice, so he gets screwed both ways. It's pretty s***ty of the Bears to not offer him a 20-25 million dollar 3 year deal with like 15-18 guaranteed. That would have been market rate for a guy as important as he is. I understand why the Bears didn't, but it doesn't make it less s***ty for Forte.

I could have swore there are reports he was offered $15.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

Exactly. The NFL is the only league I have no problem with players with contracts holding out. If they have a bad year they get cut. If they have a better than expected year, they should get paid.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
More stuff?

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)
Yes it is.

Would you go on Twitter and bash your employer, say you're being disrespected and essentially ask for a raise?

These guys dont live in corporate America. Of course pretty much anyone who posts on here wouldnt do that but professional athletes are in a much different position than us.

However, if I had over 10 other companies willing to pay me what I was asking and I felt I was being underpaid in comparison to my peers then yes I wouldnt have a problem doing it. Its not like the Bears are gonna fire Matt Forte and he is gonna be out of a job.

While I dont blame Forte for being angry, I also dont fault the Bears here. They spent a lot of time trying to work out a long term deal with him and the last offer they made was pretty fair. Look around the NFL at some of the top RB's who have just gotten big contracts; Chris Johnson, AP, Deangelo Williams. Also look at the recent Super Bowl champs; Giants, Packers, Steelers, Colts, Saints, Patriots. None of those teams have high priced running backs. So while it would be nice to make a deal to keep Forte in town, if he is gonna overprice himself the Bears are better suited using him this season and then tagging him again and trying to deal him and pick up another replacement in one of the next two drafts or in next seasons FA.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 22, 2012 -> 03:58 PM)

Before this past season Chris Johnson was an undisputed top 2 or 3 running back in the league and had rushed for 2000 yards in a season, while Matt Forte is a nice player who hadn't made a Pro Bowl until this season. The two are not comparable.

Also, Chris Johnson should be exhibit A on why you don't give running backs a big contract like Forte wants. He got his money and promptly had a pretty ordinary season. Plus, Forte is coming off a pretty serious knee injury. I wouldn't pay the guy either, franchise him this year and let him walk. Odds are he won't even play out the big contract he gets from someone.