2012-2013 NFL Thread

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
After listening to Trestman yesterday and doing research on all the new coaching changes, I changed my mind. The Bears mgmt said money wouldn't be a issue when it comes to the new coach and then they hire a guy on the bottom of the list.

Please stop saying money was an issue with the hire. Lovie was one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL. The Bears are clearly willing to spend money, it just so happens the guy he liked was a 1st time NFL coach and he will get paid as such. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, I think it's clear Emery didn't like the experienced coaches that were out there for whatever reason, some because they'd want too much power and could be a threat to undermine him eventually (given that he's a new GM). I think he'd be pretty stupid to hire a guy who like Cowher, who if unhappy could possibly create a power struggle down the road.

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please stop saying money was an issue with the hire. Lovie was one of the highest paid coaches in the NFL. The Bears are clearly willing to spend money, it just so happens the guy he liked was a 1st time NFL coach and he will get paid as such. There's nothing wrong with that.

Also, I think it's clear Emery didn't like the experienced coaches that were out there for whatever reason, some because they'd want too much power and could be a threat to undermine him eventually (given that he's a new GM). I think he'd be pretty stupid to hire a guy who like Cowher, who if unhappy could possibly create a power struggle down the road.

Emery should care about what happens on the field and not worry about a possible struggle with a top HC.. Arians would also have been a great choice for the Bears, since he prove himself this past season.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:08 AM)
He seems to come up a lot around Sean Paytons staff.

And none of them are leaving.

He just doesnt have the same contacts as a guy who has been in the NFL for the last 6 years. Hes just not familiar.

That isnt necessarily a bad thing. Being a copycat isnt always the best.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
After listening to Trestman yesterday and doing research on all the new coaching changes, I changed my mind. The Bears mgmt said money wouldn't be a issue when it comes to the new coach and then they hire a guy on the bottom of the list

How would you rank the new head coaches?

I'll let you know how they rank it about 2 years.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 05:14 PM)
And none of them are leaving.

He just doesnt have the same contacts as a guy who has been in the NFL for the last 6 years. Hes just not familiar.

That isnt necessarily a bad thing. Being a copycat isnt always the best.

I know, I'm just trying to figure out where his contacts are coming from. It doesn't seem like his dolphins days really held any long-standing relationships. But it looks like he was friends with a lot of people with Sean Payton and from his old Raiders and Niners days more than any others.

There are no young bright minds coming in, these are people who have been in the NFL for a long time and rarely moved up. It'll be interesting to see.

Cutler can rest his cannon arm now that he's running the dink-and-dunk offense.

Cutler is a "coach killer". It's always somebody else fault why he can't succeed

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:14 AM)
Emery should care about what happens on the field and not worry about a possible struggle with a top HC.. Arians would also have been a great choice for the Bears, since he prove himself this past season.

You are the manager of a construction company. You hire a foreman to look after your crew. Your foreman comes up to you and says "this is BS, we need to do xxx this way and we need xxx equipment and xxx guy to help us out, why can't you do this?" Now, that may be the best foreman in the world, but how do you think that relationshp will affect the team?

You are the manager of a construction company. You hire a foreman to look after your crew. Your foreman comes up to you and says "this is BS, we need to do xxx this way and we need xxx equipment and xxx guy to help us out, why can't you do this?" Now, that may be the best foreman in the world, but how do you think that relationshp will affect the team?

If an experience HC comes in with a positive attitude there shouldn't be a problem. Its all about chemistry. Harbaugh here in SF, has a huge personality but he gets along very well with Baalke

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:19 AM)
I know, I'm just trying to figure out where his contacts are coming from. It doesn't seem like his dolphins days really held any long-standing relationships. But it looks like he was friends with a lot of people with Sean Payton and from his old Raiders and Niners days more than any others.

There are no young bright minds coming in, these are people who have been in the NFL for a long time and rarely moved up. It'll be interesting to see.

Well between Kromer and Cavanaugh, they are both guys Trestman actually coached with previously.

Kromer and Trestman coached at the same time with the Raiders.

Cavanaugh and Trestman coached at the same time with the 49ers.

So it seems that Trestman really values actually having worked with the people.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 17, 2013 -> 06:18 PM)
CTL just said if Arians was hired, Whisenhunt would have bee the OC and Russ Grimm the line coach.

While that sounds really promising not sure it would have worked well.

The Defensive Coordinator hire will make or break this move.

All moves those far have been cheap. They need to make a splash there and Greg Williams would be that guy. If they hire Singletary, pull up the clown car

The Bears spend money on players but they just refuse to spend money on an organizational paradigm. Lovie got his money and was building a staff of experienced guys.

Everything that has happened since the end of last season related to the organization reeks of old school Bears spending. The defensive coordinator hire is major indication as to how the pieces will fall from here.

I originally thought these moves were promising now I am not so sure. Other then the special teams guy there are a lot of old guys some getting their first shot that the rest of the league was not too high on. I include Emery in this. Emery talks a good game but his last off-season was no great shakes and I will give him the benefit of the doubt that it was Lovie's influence.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:31 AM)
How is hiring a guy who might well not even be allowed to coach...a good idea?

Hiring a guy that has actually accomplished something in the NFL to me is a good idea as the organization right now has little of it from decision making positions. I could get behind it if these were young up and coming guys getting their shot but none of them are.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 06:36 PM)
Hiring a guy that has actually accomplished something in the NFL to me is a good idea as the organization right now has little of it from decision making positions. I could get behind it if these were young up and coming guys getting their shot but none of them are.

That doesn't address whether he can legally coach.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Well between Kromer and Cavanaugh, they are both guys Trestman actually coached with previously.

Kromer and Trestman coached at the same time with the Raiders.

Cavanaugh and Trestman coached at the same time with the 49ers.

So it seems that Trestman really values actually having worked with the people.

Well yea, that is how most if not all coaches roll. A lot of Lovies staff worked with him with the Rams and Tampa

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:21 AM)
Cutler can rest his cannon arm now that he's running the dink-and-dunk offense.

Cutler is a "coach killer". It's always somebody else fault why he can't succeed

He succeeded just fine under Shanahan - who was inexplicably fired despite being pretty awesome. Since then, really, I'd find it hard to believe any QB could truly succeed with the calvacade of OC's, schemes, playbooks, and revolving door offensive linemen he's played with in Denver and Chicago.

He's a prick, but he's also been given very little chance to succeed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 12:42 PM)
He succeeded just fine under Shanahan - who was inexplicably fired despite being pretty awesome. Since then, really, I'd find it hard to believe any QB could truly succeed with the calvacade of OC's, schemes, playbooks, and revolving door offensive linemen he's played with in Denver and Chicago.

He's a prick, but he's also been given very little chance to succeed.

Of course...weird thing I felt is...I don't I've seen much change in the Bears "offensive system" in the last 3 seasons. Last season looked....pretty much exactly like the 2 seasons before it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:45 AM)
Of course...weird thing I felt is...I don't I've seen much change in the Bears "offensive system" in the last 3 seasons. Last season looked....pretty much exactly like the 2 seasons before it.

Well, as much as it pains me to say it, you must not have been watching much Bears football. Sure, the end result was the same (bad offense) but the difference between the insanity of the Martz offense vs the blahness of the Tice offense could not have been of higher contrast.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 12:46 PM)
Well, as much as it pains me to say it, you must not have been watching much Bears football. Sure, the end result was the same (bad offense) but the difference between the insanity of the Martz offense vs the blahness of the Tice offense could not have been of higher contrast.

True, one thing that was missing last year were the complete nonsense plays, I'll give you that.

I still feel like I was watching a system last year where the Bears were 100% insistent that they could take deep drops and throw the ball down the field while their O-Line was matched up one on one, which was also where I felt the Martz system failed the worst.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
If an experience HC comes in with a positive attitude there shouldn't be a problem. Its all about chemistry. Harbaugh here in SF, has a huge personality but he gets along very well with Baalke

Personality is entirely different than a desire for control. Most coaches have a strong personality. Beyond that, the Bears were literally never interested in Chip Kelly. It was the Eagles, Browns, and Bills.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:40 AM)
Well yea, that is how most if not all coaches roll. A lot of Lovies staff worked with him with the Rams and Tampa

I agree. I just was saying thats why Trestman's coaches are guys from a few years ago, because he has not been in the NFL for a few years.

For example if I had to guess DC, Jim Bates, Dave Wannstedt or Chuck Bresnahan would be guys in the running.

(edit)

Looks like Bresnahan was hired last week, so thats unlikely.

Edited by Soxbadger