2012-2013 NFL Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 06:13 PM)
So 3 of the 4 championship teams are the same as last year. Where's that nfl parity?

For the last 9 seasons, the AFC representative in the Super Bowl has been Pittsburgh, New England, or Indy. The Pats will be favored to make it ten straight seasons.

Why do announcers still stupidly insist you should wait to go for a 2 pt conversion when you will definitely need to get one at some point? Houston needs to know as early as possible if they are going to need 2 TDs or a TD and a FG so you can plan accordingly. Waiting doesn't do anything positive for you.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)
Why do announcers still stupidly insist you should wait to go for a 2 pt conversion when you will definitely need to get one at some point? Houston needs to know as early as possible if they are going to need 2 TDs or a TD and a FG so you can plan accordingly. Waiting doesn't do anything positive for you.

I agree...I have never understood this philosophy...but it isn't just the announcers...it's usually the coaches, too.

They don't seem to understand that there is value in knowing the outcome earlier and having an ability to adjust your gameplan, as opposed to potentially failing at the end of the game when there is nothing you can do about it. It's as if they believe you get extra points for the length of time you remain in the game or something. I have argued this at length with friends as well. Their counterpoint is that if you take the 1 sure point, there is some other event which could occur afterwards which might render your decision to go for two different, and now you have that point on the scoreboard instead of potentially having gone for the two-point conversion and failing.

That seems pretty rare to me.

Sometimes it actually makes sense to not go for two right way. Sure you know what you need, but so does the opponent.

Down 15, so one of the 2 touchdowns needs a 2 pointer. You score a touchdown. If you go for the 2 point conversion and miss, it's now a 2 score game (down 9), and the opponent can play that a bit differently. Take your 7, and the opponent plays like it's a one score game, as it's an 8 point margin. They may have to play less conservatively, which could lead to a mistake and an easier way to get back into the game. It puts pressure on your opponent.

You also have to throw like hell down 2 scores, which is easier to stop. If you make the other defense play like it's a one score game, it may open up things you wouldn't have otherwise had. Chances are if you miss the 2 point conversion in most instances the game is over anyway, so might as well keep the game as alive as possible while you can.

I definitely see both sides of it, but coaches constantly wait to go for two in the situation above. I don't think all of them could possibly be wrong.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 07:00 PM)
Major math Fail there Phil, lol. "Houston should kick a quick field goal so they can onside kick and throw a hail mary." Awesome Phil, they were down 13, so New England would still win by 3.

Yeah, somehow I think he missed NE kicking that FG to make it 41. That's the only thing I can think of.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 07:38 PM)

When there is limited possessions left in the game, you need to be in a spot that is most favorable for you to come back.

In Houston's situation, it really probably doesnt matter when you still need atleast 2 scores. But if it was 15 point deficit and you have the option to cut it to 7 or 8 with 5 minutes left, the smart play is to keep in within one possession.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
When there is limited possessions left in the game, you need to be in a spot that is most favorable for you to come back.

In Houston's situation, it really probably doesnt matter when you still need atleast 2 scores. But if it was 15 point deficit and you have the option to cut it to 7 or 8 with 5 minutes left, the smart play is to keep in within one possession.

I suppose I can see what you and Krush are saying...I suppose there is value in being able to presumably tie the game with 1 score as opposed to two, since you may not have to pass as much. I think there is equal or greater value in knowing with enough time left to do something about it whether or not you need to score once or twice.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 08:00 PM)
Major math Fail there Phil, lol. "Houston should kick a quick field goal so they can onside kick and throw a hail mary." Awesome Phil, they were down 13, so New England would still win by 3.

How about Billick in the first game? He was terrible. He was suggesting the Seahawks might kick a fg down 6 with 1:30 left if Wilson were to get sacked around the 35 on a 4th and 10 instead of going for it...then, after Atlanta kicked onside with 8 seconds left, his argument for why this was such a colossal error was because Seattle would be closer to the end zone for purposes of the hail mary as opposed to the fact that they were actually much closer to being able to make a quick completion and get in fg range.

Just bad.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 07:14 PM)
How about Billick in the first game? He was terrible. He was suggesting the Seahawks might kick a fg down 6 with 1:30 left if Wilson were to get sacked around the 35 on a 4th and 10 instead of going for it...then, after Atlanta kicked onside with 8 seconds left, his argument for why this was such a colossal error was because Seattle would be closer to the end zone for purposes of the hail mary as opposed to the fact that they were actually much closer to being able to make a quick completion and get in fg range.

Just bad.

Yeah, he said something like "this is probably 4 down territory."

Um, yes?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 09:00 PM)
Yeah, he said something like "this is probably 4 down territory."

Um, yes?

Yeah, it was 3rd and 5 and he was suggesting that they might kick a fg if they didn't get the first down or if Wilson was to get sacked.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 13, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
Yeah, it was 3rd and 5 and he was suggesting that they might kick a fg if they didn't get the first down or if Wilson was to get sacked.

"you can kick the fg and onside kick" yup with 44 seconds left, brilliant idea!

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Pats

Ravens

Niners

Falcons

Pats

Niners

Pats

I'd love to see any team not named the Patriots win the Super Bowl this year; I just don't see how that can happen.

You can't see how the Niners could beat them?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 14, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
Nello Gamberdino II ‏@npgsports

117 fans at #49ers vs #Packers game arrested or ejected for drinking or fighting - wow! #stayclassySanFrancisco

That stadium seats 70,207 - not including standing room only. I'm incredibly surprised by how low that number is, actually. WOW 0.17% of fans got ejected!