Sox spring training Catch All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 23, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
Probably referring to the bandage on his arm. I'd imagine from HGH testing which is reportedly requiring players to have 7 vials of blood drawn. Many players are complaining about it and how it's making them sick and feel like s*** well afterwards.

What Dirty said.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 07:51 AM)
I'm going with I am sick the stars never getting caught and punished. MLB is still a joke when it comes to drug testing.

The League "vehemently disagreed" with the ruling, and the League's arbitrator voted for the suspension, didn't they?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 08:56 AM)
The League "vehemently disagreed" with the ruling, and the League's arbitrator voted for the suspension, didn't they?

That really doesn't matter though...the problem is that the league insisted that they could set up and handle their own testing system and didn't need outside help (i.e. they didn't need to just have the program run by USADA), and clearly the league has failed to establish effective quality control procedures.

There is talk that the league will sue in federal court to overturn this arbitrator's ruling.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
That really doesn't matter though...the problem is that the league insisted that they could set up and handle their own testing system and didn't need outside help (i.e. they didn't need to just have the program run by USADA), and clearly the league has failed to establish effective quality control procedures.

There is talk that the league will sue in federal court to overturn this arbitrator's ruling.

But it seemed to me that he was implying the League intentionally allows the star players to escape punishment.

Unless they are griping just for show, that does not seem to be the case here.

Whether or not they are incompetent is irrelevant.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
But it seemed to me that he was implying the League intentionally allows the star players to escape punishment.

Unless they are griping just for show, that does not seem to be the case here.

Whether or not they are incompetent is irrelevant.

I guess that is the question...incompetent or nefarious?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 08:05 AM)
I guess that is the question...incompetent or nefarious?

I would lean towards the first. People are always getting off on technicalities when it comes to drug tests and chain of custody and finding procedural errors.

This would have never been known had they been able to keep this private like they were supposed to.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Why?

Guy tests positive after winning MVP, positive test thrown out on technicality, and no one knows about it? That strikes me as total BS. Just like it strikes me as BS that the 2003 list hasn't been released.

I'm much happier that I know about the situation here for some reason.

QUOTE (JohnCangelosi @ Feb 22, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)
Come to Europe and you'll see that nearly nobody here is a fat slob like Herm was- primarily because they're not having the "4th meal" at Taco Bell and they don't think that ordering a filet-o-fish meal with a large coke at McDonalds is a light lunch.

Depends on where you are in Europe. UK isn't doing so well ;)

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 08:25 AM)
Guy tests positive after winning MVP, positive test thrown out on technicality, and no one knows about it? That strikes me as total BS. Just like it strikes me as BS that the 2003 list hasn't been released.

I'm much happier that I know about the situation here for some reason.

My understanding is that there was more to the story than just the technicality, though. Braun said it wasn't his sample, and offered to take a DNA test to prove it was not his urine, and MLB said no thanks. They could have just cleared everything up earlier (at least as to Braun) but chose not to and let the technicality become the dominating factor. Again, that's my understanding, but I haven't read the arbitration transcripts, nor do I have inside information of any kind. Just what I heard on ESPN.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)
Chuck Garfien ‏ @ChuckGarfien

I asked Jake Peavy if he'd like to pitch Opening Day. He said, "I'd love to see Johnny [Danks] get that nod."

I think that's cool.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 24, 2012 -> 02:54 PM)
Scott Merkin ‏ @scottmerkin

Since last seen with the White Sox, Brian Bruney has dropped 25 pounds. Looks primed to make a run at one of three open bullpen spots

It was 30 a few hours ago, according to another source. By the time the season rolls around, people will probably realize that he gained weight (memories of Jenks).

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/...g-training-2012

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Teammates have gushed at the mere mention of Chris Sale’s name. Heck, even straight-faced first-year manager Robin Ventura raised an eyebrow and nodded his head in approval when asked for his early impressions of the lefty.

“He has the best stuff I’ve ever seen live,” starter John Danks stated.

“We’re getting an absolute stud in Chris Sale,” Jake Peavy added. “Chris Sale is as good as anybody I want to say I’ve ever played with just as far as his raw, physical talent. So throwing him in the rotation and how he holds up is going to be huge.”