2012 MLB draft talk

DirtySox

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:44 PM)
One of the CBS writers today, tweeted that White Sox will be looking for veteran bullpen help around deadline.

With that said, I think they take a pitcher that can fast track to the bullpen this year and start in minors next year.

so...Stroman

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
I like it, as a Sox fan, because Reinsdorf wasn't going to spend either way. But before this deal, there existed a real opportunity for smaller market teams to spend big on the draft where their dollars would go much further than on the free agent market -- and in fact, teams like the Pirates, Blue Jays, and Rays did just that. In a lot of ways, I actually think that this situation favors the big markets by eliminating and opportunity for the others to gain a competitive advantage.

It very well could, however, it also ensures that these teams can sign the top players with their picks, vs. letting them drop in the draft due to signability concerns. For example, and I know the decision worked out okay, the Twins could have taken Prior over Mauer. Clearly the Twins lucked out but that isn't always the case.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
It very well could, however, it also ensures that these teams can sign the top players with their picks, vs. letting them drop in the draft due to signability concerns. For example, and I know the decision worked out okay, the Twins could have taken Prior over Mauer. Clearly the Twins lucked out but that isn't always the case.

I've always felt that if you're going to put a stringent cap on either the draft or major league spending, you need to put a cap on both. It's not really fair if teams can gain a competitive advantage in major league spending, but smaller market teams can't even chance the small amount of money they have to spend on prospects.

As it stands, baseball's solution to the imbalance the draft causes for successful small-market teams is called the Competitive Balance Lottery. It will take place July 16 and offer six picks for the 2013 draft after the first round ends and six more following the second round – all of which are tradeable. In theory it's a good concept. Its deficiencies keep it from being anything more than a glorified food stamp for the poor.

"It's a band-aid," one GM from a high-revenue team admitted.

It's tough to take something claiming competitive balance altogether seriously when it includes a team that, according to Forbes, finished with the fifth-highest revenues in baseball last year. Because the St. Louis Cardinals play in one of the 10 smallest markets in baseball, they're included in the lottery. Nobody would mistake the Cardinals for a small-market team – even when they don't win the World Series, they're among the top 10 in annual revenues – but they've got a better chance this year of winning a draft pick than impoverished Tampa Bay, which parlayed superb drafting into a roster that teems with talent.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/new-draft-bon...-1-percent.html

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 4, 2012 -> 06:25 PM)
Twins went for the more talented guy. Great move for them. I thought they'd take the guy with a high ceiling (not as high) but the lower floor.

I agree, good move. They know they're further away than Appel, who I think goes to a team that wants to use him next year.

I'm sure the Twins don't like the Donovan Tate comparisons.

They've had a number of similar players in their system in Span, Ben Revere and Aaron Hicks. Obviously, Buxton's pure upside is higher at this point.

Seems those high school toolsy players are the ones who disappoint the most...but at least the Twins are being realistic in their idea of trying to take the best player available rather than looking at quicker fix college pitching.