West Region

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It didn't even feel like an upset, as Hampton over ISU did in 2001.

NFSU, as mentioned, only shot 30 or 31% coming into the game, and they severely outperformed that stat.

Missouri has been vulnerable all season long to big teams (they lost both games to KSU), when you play four guards, that's the danger.

Kim English was terrible, and Denmon had a huge brain cramp to just launch a bomb from 30+ feet when he didn't need to.

The other upsets in history were Richmond/Syracuse (91), Santa Clara over Arizona (93), 1997 Coppin State over S. Carolina.

There wasn't a huge talent/athletic advantage to the Tigers at all. You had a feeling for most of the second half (although the Tigers did rally to tie, 2 bad breaks went against them, the airball going to O'Quinn and the long bounce off the missed free throw that also went to O'Quinn).

Three guys scored 20+ for the Spartans.

Edited by caulfield12

Second fun fact, first victory ever for that program over a ranked team.

0-10 prior to this match-up.

Down goes #3 Missouri.

Feel sorry for Frank Haith, great season in Columbia after all the preseason issues/scandal.

The only thing that will make Tigers fans feel better is KU losing to Detroit now.

Edited by caulfield12

Norfolk shot out of their mind, obviously Mizzou would beat them 9 out of 10 times but the reason that upset was able to happen is because there was no athletic or size(Norfolk had the big size edge) mismatch that a 1 or 2 seed usually holds against a 15 or 16.

That was so much fun though, how about LIU over MSU tonight?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 06:15 PM)
Also, Hampton and Norfolk State are BOTH MEAC teams.

Weird.

In the last 15 years of NCAA play, 2 upsets out of 60 possible happened between the 2 and 15 seeds, and both of them MEAC schools involved.

MEAC vs. Big 12...

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2012 -> 05:53 PM)
f***, I knew they were overrated but I still put them in my final four.

Same, I just didn't like anyone in that bracket. It seems like that happens to me every year, I end up taking Missouri or Notre Dame (last year) even though I think they're Sweet 16 tops and it bites me in the ass.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Mar 18, 2012 -> 05:46 PM)
while the Norfolk St win was fun for a day, it basically ruins the next game they play in. We couldve seen a fun Missouri-Florida game.

Totally, as much fun as early round upsets are, it's definitely better if those teams get weeded out as the tourney goes on. It makes for much better basketball when the Final Four is mostly high seeds.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:22 AM)
Totally, as much fun as early round upsets are, it's definitely better if those teams get weeded out as the tourney goes on. It makes for much better basketball when the Final Four is mostly high seeds.

Eh. There were still a lot of great games. Lehigh stayed close.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2012 -> 08:36 AM)
Eh. There were still a lot of great games. Lehigh stayed close.

And still lost by double digits to a 10-seed. Norfolk State lost by 30+. Last year there was a 8-seed in the final, and it may have been the worst final in tourney history.