2012-2013 NCAA Basketball thread

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
I personally think over-signing should be illegal in the Big 10.

And Im not sure my stance is jealousy, Indiana hasnt beat lowly Wisconsin since Jan. 31, 2007.

Don't even get me started on that Brian Butch bank shot. I couldn't even complain at the time though, since I think it was less than a month after Gordon banked a huge shot in against Illinois.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Nov 11, 2012 -> 11:05 AM)
I need to talk about the streak now, because this year at Indiana likely is the end.

I sure hope so. We shouldn't lose a single game at home this year, and we can't. I say that in the same way Michigan, Ohio St, and MSU fans say about their teams.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 11, 2012 -> 09:23 AM)
Well of course it's going to work out. One way or another, guys will be gone and they'll have the right amount of scholarships out there.

But "it works out" doesn't justify it or explain it.

I'm kind of in between on this. Kids transfer from programs all the time, so just because one does at IU, doesn't mean the kid was pushed out. I don't think it is fair to automatically assume there are shady things going on when we're still a year away from these kids putting on an IU uniform. With IU's depth this year, someone is bound to get frustrated and leave. Not all kids qualify.

That said, there certainly is the potential for a mess. I'm not completely comfortable with it. Right now IU is three scholly's over the 13 limit for next year. Keep in mind, none of these verbal commitments have signed or qualified academically, so nothing is official. But what happens if Zeller wants to stay a 3rd year. No one thinks its possible, but he doesn't seem like the kind of kid (and the family doesn't seem the type) that is in a hurry to get to the NBA. There are a ton of possibilities and combinations, but if things don't fall, it could be messy and turn into the kind of situation you are already assuming.

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Nov 11, 2012 -> 10:32 PM)
I'm kind of in between on this. Kids transfer from programs all the time, so just because one does at IU, doesn't mean the kid was pushed out. I don't think it is fair to automatically assume there are shady things going on when we're still a year away from these kids putting on an IU uniform. With IU's depth this year, someone is bound to get frustrated and leave. Not all kids qualify.

That said, there certainly is the potential for a mess. I'm not completely comfortable with it. Right now IU is three scholly's over the 13 limit for next year. Keep in mind, none of these verbal commitments have signed or qualified academically, so nothing is official. But what happens if Zeller wants to stay a 3rd year. No one thinks its possible, but he doesn't seem like the kind of kid (and the family doesn't seem the type) that is in a hurry to get to the NBA. There are a ton of possibilities and combinations, but if things don't fall, it could be messy and turn into the kind of situation you are already assuming.

Agree with this, Rex. There's so much talent, someone is bound to be upset with playing time. The last 3-4 guys off our bench would be starters on A LOT of D1 teams. I think at this point you have to give Crean the benefit of the doubt, as he's been coaching for years and it hasn't backfired yet. He knows a hell of a lot more whats going on inside his program than anyone else does.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 05:08 PM)
Love the hair. And a tall guy with athleticism.

Need a good 14 class. Good foundation so far in 13 to start to make some changes.

Funny, I thought we had a much better chance with past 2 guys we eventually fell short on, but yeah a good get for Illini. I really hope Groce can still land KBD.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 05:15 PM)
Funny, I thought we had a much better chance with past 2 guys we eventually fell short on, but yeah a good get for Illini. I really hope Groce can still land KBD.

This one was definitely a shock for me, I thought for sure he was going to pick Nova.

Hopefully KBD commits in the next few weeks and we can go after a top PG.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Nov 12, 2012 -> 09:20 PM)
Jeff Early decided to match Carmichaels 27 and 12. Hooray 1 and 0.

Went through the game thread on Salukitalk. Wish KBS went with his uncle or cousin or whatever. Want Daniels healthy as well.

Sounds like an old school type win with hustle.

Rivals has Groce's first Illini class at #10 nationally; Scout a more sober #22.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/break...0,5575326.story

That news helps make the abomination that is Illini football a bit easier to endure. If Groce is half as capable as I fear Beckman is incompetent, there may be hope in Champaign yet.