The Miami Marlins thread

Buehrle>Wood

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 11:47 PM)
I really don't know AGAIN how you can watch this current video of Ozzie and not feel good about the man.

Listen to his comments about Mark. I wish Sox fans would let bygones be bygones. You can hate his kids if you want if you hated their tweets, but Ozzie?

Every tape I watch of the guy makes me laugh or happy he was our skipper. I guess we all agree to disagree. But again, critique this tape for me. I give it an A again for class/humor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/videogallery...tion-in-Chicago

There are many managers/coaches that are good interviews but s***ty in games.

Watching the front office for the Marlins talk yesterday was like deja vu of the Sox season last year. They were shocked at how guys with track records like Reyes and Hanley could be struggling so much. I'm not trying to start a war saying that it's Ozzie's fault those guys are underachieving so much this year, but it does seem like a very similar situation.

Hypothetically speaking, if Ozzie got the boot at the end of the year and went to another team who signs big free agents in the off-season and those big time players uncharacteristically struggle in 2013 like they have with the Marlins or the 2011 White Sox; would it be overwhelming evidence that it's Ozzie's fault?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
Hypothetically speaking, if Ozzie got the boot at the end of the year and went to another team who signs big free agents in the off-season and those big time players uncharacteristically struggle in 2013 like they have with the Marlins or the 2011 White Sox; would it be overwhelming evidence that it's Ozzie's fault?

No, it's never solely the manager's fault.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 05:12 PM)
No, it's never solely the manager's fault.

Ok, let me rephrase that. Would it be evident that big name players who play under Ozzie Guillen are more likely to have uncharacteristic down years?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Ok, let me rephrase that. Would it be evident that big name players who play under Ozzie Guillen are more likely to have uncharacteristic down years?

Hard to say that, as for every Dunn or Hanley, there's a 2004-2011 Paul Konerko.

Then someone should name Rick Dempsey manager.

"I tell ya Stone Pony, in my seven decades in professional baseball, Rick Dempsey was the most entertaining performer during rain delays that I've ever seen, especially his outstanding Babe Ruth 'called shot' impression."

As far as Ozzie goes, you would think three strikes and he's out for a managerial career. But one would have to doubt he's going to go back to managing right away (were he to get fired). He'd probably take at least a year off and work on TV until he said something that got him fired or in trouble with the FCC.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 04:58 PM)
Watching the front office for the Marlins talk yesterday was like deja vu of the Sox season last year. They were shocked at how guys with track records like Reyes and Hanley could be struggling so much. I'm not trying to start a war saying that it's Ozzie's fault those guys are underachieving so much this year, but it does seem like a very similar situation.

Let me put it this way. If I were Kenny, I would be trying to aquire struggling Marlins.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 06:26 PM)
Let me put it this way. If I were Kenny, I would be trying to aquire struggling Marlins.

Yup. I dont think Oz lasts 3 years there with the money they poured in and what they are getting out. So far all he's been known for is having a big mouth and underachieving players.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 07:30 PM)
Yup. I dont think Oz lasts 3 years there with the money they poured in and what they are getting out. So far all he's been known for is having a big mouth and underachieving players.

I'd give it an outside shot that he's gone after this season, let alone 3 years.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 05:31 PM)
He'd probably take at least a year off and work on TV until he said something that got him fired or in trouble with the FCC.

I could see a certain four letter network drooling at the thought of getting him on air. Until he starts tossing F bombs around on live TV

Scott Miller of CBS Sports hears that the Marlins have "never been more open" to the idea of trading long-time franchise cornerstone Hanley Ramirez.

As Miller notes, the Fish don't feel they're far from contending, they simply have soured on a mix of players that has underperformed. Ramirez's most recent antics, in which he punched a cooling fan in the dugout, now have him unavailable to play. Ramirez stopped taking medication for the cut he sustained, which has led to an infection in his hand.

at this point, i wonder how much value hanley has. he hasnt cared for a couple years now, and now this. i also dont buy into the whole he didnt mind moving to third. he dogged it a few times last year. just dont see why anyone want this guy

QUOTE (Melissa1334 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 06:30 AM)
Scott Miller of CBS Sports hears that the Marlins have "never been more open" to the idea of trading long-time franchise cornerstone Hanley Ramirez.

As Miller notes, the Fish don't feel they're far from contending, they simply have soured on a mix of players that has underperformed. Ramirez's most recent antics, in which he punched a cooling fan in the dugout, now have him unavailable to play. Ramirez stopped taking medication for the cut he sustained, which has led to an infection in his hand.

at this point, i wonder how much value hanley has. he hasnt cared for a couple years now, and now this. i also dont buy into the whole he didnt mind moving to third. he dogged it a few times last year. just dont see why anyone want this guy

I'm the opposite. I bet he is a prime bounceback candidate if history has taught me anything.