2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 01:48 AM)
How long is Konerko out for? I'd much rather see Danks up.

PK supposed to be back tomorrow, but Johnson gives you more versatility when the Sox play at NL parks now that Escobar can also play LF. I don't see the point in promoting Danks for 2 weeks only to send him back down after only a few ABs at most.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:40 PM)
The Score said that Fukudome is almost guaranteed to be placed on the DL in the next 24 hours. It's a rib issue. Dan Johnson should get the call up so we don't have to start Lillibridge/Flowers at 1b against a RHP.

Why can't Dunn start at 1b? He's not there today because of the flu issues I'd gather, and the body can recover from that fairly quickly.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:49 PM)
PK supposed to be back tomorrow, but Johnson gives you more versatility when the Sox play at NL parks now that Escobar can also play LF. I don't see the point in promoting Danks for 2 weeks only to send him back down after only a few ABs at most.

They'd also have to give Danks2 a 40 man spot.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 02:50 AM)
Why can't Dunn start at 1b? He's not there today because of the flu issues I'd gather, and the body can recover from that fairly quickly.

Contingency in case PK tries to go the next few days and can't. Especially given the lack of DH, I can't see Danks getting any starts in the next two weeks.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Contingency in case PK tries to go the next few days and can't. Especially given the lack of DH, I can't see Danks getting any starts in the next two weeks.

In an NL park, wouldn't Danks be more valuable. Plays plus defense anywhere in the outfield and can pinch run. Johnson can pretty much play 1st and he isn't a great baserunner. I really don't get it. This is obviously more about the Sox going with a guy that has big league experience. Unless of course they think Danks has finally got it and they want him to continue to get AB's (vs. bringing him up for a bench role). However at this point, odds are he's going to have to come off the bench and earn more ab's (he won't be handed a starting job).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 02:08 AM)
In an NL park, wouldn't Danks be more valuable. Plays plus defense anywhere in the outfield and can pinch run. Johnson can pretty much play 1st and he isn't a great baserunner. I really don't get it. This is obviously more about the Sox going with a guy that has big league experience. Unless of course they think Danks has finally got it and they want him to continue to get AB's (vs. bringing him up for a bench role). However at this point, odds are he's going to have to come off the bench and earn more ab's (he won't be handed a starting job).

You have Lillibridge/Escobar to pr and play outfield, I think it's important to get an another 1b on the roster in case Konerko has a setback. If PK is completely healthy as of tomorrow, then by all means, let it be Danks

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 07:13 PM)
You have Lillibridge/Escobar to pr and play outfield, I think it's important to get an another 1b on the roster in case Konerko has a setback. If PK is completely healthy as of tomorrow, then by all means, let it be Danks

Any schmoe can play 1b. Lillibridge can play there, Dunn can play there, and I'm sure Danks could play there if need be. I really don't see much value in carrying 3 actual 1st baseman on your roster. Plus Flowers can play there as well. Unless of course they can all rake, but I really don't think Dan Johnson is that type of guy (but maybe I'm wrong and he's figured things out).

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 08:49 PM)

Wouldn't we have to pass Dan Johnson through waivers when we send him back down eventually? I know it's not the end of world if he gets claimed, but I'd rather not sacrafice the left-handed insurance he provides just in case something more serious happens. If we're talking two weeks or so with Fukudome, I'm fine with Danks getting the call.

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 09:02 PM)
Shocked by this, would have lost that bet.

I would of lost that bet as well. I guess, without looking at stats, that Rios "All Star" years in Toronto were overstated.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:15 AM)
I would of lost that bet as well. I guess, without looking at stats, that Rios "All Star" years in Toronto were overstated.

I look at it the other way. I forgot how much power Crede had. A 30-homer season? Did not remember that.

Colby Rasmus is a f***ing idiot. I am happier and happier we didn't end up with him. Yeah Colby, Will Ohman is throwing at you 0-2, with the guy who just hit one to the Dan Ryan up behind you? Seriously? Nice burn though by Will.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13022883-57...get-chirpy.html

White Sox reliever Will Ohman was stunned by Colby Rasmus’ ­reaction to getting hit by a pitch in the Toronto Blue Jays’ 4-0 victory against the White Sox on Wednesday night.

Rasmus, who had clubbed the Sox for five hits Tuesday before adding an RBI single for the Jays’ first run Wednesday, threw his bat down after Ohman hit him with an 0-2 pitch in the seventh. He had words for Ohman, who reacted by pointing to his head and mouthing “0-and-2.’’

“He must be a student of the game,’’ Ohman said. “If he’s learned that in his first four years, I dare say I’m interested to see what he learns in his next four.’’

The Sox have jawed with the Jays before. Last season in Toronto, left-hander John Danks gave Jose Bautista the business for carrying on and slamming his bat after popping up. Bautista gave it back.

In this case, the last thing the left-handed Ohman — who was brought in by manager Robin Ventura to face the left-handed hitting Rasmus — wanted was to load the bases for Bautista. Reliever Jesse Crain struck out Bautista to keep the score 2-0, but with no answer for Jays starter Brandon Morrow, none of the Ohman-Rasmus drama mattered in the end anyway.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 08:40 AM)
Colby Rasmus is a f***ing idiot. I am happier and happier we didn't end up with him. Yeah Colby, Will Ohman is throwing at you 0-2, with the guy who just hit one to the Dan Ryan up behind you? Seriously? Nice burn though by Will.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/13022883-57...get-chirpy.html

“He must be a student of the game,’’ Ohman said. “If he’s learned that in his first four years, I dare say I’m interested to see what he learns in his next four.’’

That is great line by Ohman.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 04:39 PM)

That is great line by Ohman.

I suddenly went from just being ok with Ohman to liking him.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 7, 2012 -> 07:31 PM)
I suddenly went from just being ok with Ohman to liking him.

Agreed. He wasn't afraid of that b**** Rasmus, and now he's even witty? me gusta

If rotations hold, and Danks returns on the 17th, here is what our interleague play looks like:

Houston--

Rodriguez vs Floyd

Lyles vs Sale

Harrell vs Humber

St. Louis--

Quintana vs Lynn

Peavy vs Wainwright

Floyd vs Westbrook

Dodgers--

Sale vs Kershaw

Humber vs Billingsley

Danks vs Capuano

Cubs--

Garza vs Peavy

Wood vs Floyd

Samardzija vs Sale

Brewers--

Gallardo vs Humber

Greinke vs Danks

Wolf vs Peavy

9-6 would be very good.

Wouldn't we have to pass Dan Johnson through waivers when we send him back down eventually? I know it's not the end of world if he gets claimed, but I'd rather not sacrafice the left-handed insurance he provides just in case something more serious happens. If we're talking two weeks or so with Fukudome, I'm fine with Danks getting the call.

Yes, Johnson would have to be DFA'd to get sent back down. He's not getting called up unless Konerko or Dunn is going to be out for a long stretch of time.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
If rotations hold, and Danks returns on the 17th, here is what our interleague play looks like:

Houston--

Rodriguez vs Floyd - L

Lyles vs Sale - W

Harrell vs Humber - L

St. Louis--

Quintana vs Lynn - W

Peavy vs Wainwright - L

Floyd vs Westbrook - W

Dodgers--

Sale vs Kershaw - W

Humber vs Billingsley - L

Danks vs Capuano - W