2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 02:24 PM)
I just noticed that both the Sox and Cubs are on the road this weekend. Seems weird that there will be no baseball in Chicago over a mid-Summer weekend.

Some Cub fans would say there is no baseball in Chicago this season.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
Some Cub fans would say there is no baseball in Chicago this season.

No, I was told (seriously) the other day that the cubs have a better chance of making the postseason this year, by a Cubs fan. The average Cubs fan is delusional.

QUOTE (Indy_Soxer @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)
No, I was told (seriously) the other day that the cubs have a better chance of making the postseason this year, by a Cubs fan. The average Cubs fan is delusional.

Do like I did. Offer to take their money on the 500:1 odds that Vegas was offering. That will shut them up quick.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
Do like I did. Offer to take their money on the 500:1 odds that Vegas was offering. That will shut them up quick.

Thats actually a pretty solid response. Will definitely throw that one out there next time.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 06:05 AM)
I would hope the lowest moment of a fan would actually have something to do with the team's performance and nothing to do with off-the-field drama.

That's like getting more excited about the National Enquirer or Globe than the movies and t.v. shows the stars appear in in the first place...

In all seriousness, Robin hasn't been as great as we're making him out to be, Ozzie wasn't the worst manager in baseball...it just feels that was because these arguments have become some polarized, back and forth, back and forth.

If someone or anyone says something approaching reasonableness, nobody pays attention.

No, but I think his experience of being successful at the plate and on the field has been helpful. He helped find a flaw in Dunn and the change in Rios at plate has made a difference. Ozzie and Cora were glove guys.

Ozzie's a NL style manager. The Kotsay/Jones over Thome is a prefect example. It doesn't work in the AL.

QUOTE (Indy_Soxer @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 03:35 PM)

They gotta have something. I guess it's better than nothing.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 19, 2012 -> 09:54 PM)
I rarely meet an average Cubs fan. I find most of them to be well below average.

:lol: :lol:

That was a sore one last night/this morning. :( Stayed up to watch it, an' all. Feckin' knackered now in work, but you've just made me laugh and highlighted that we've a lot to be thankful for too! ;)

I haven't seen a loss like last night in a while. Robin has done a great job with this team, but he made some really bad decisions last night. First, why didn't Youkilis pinch hit for Escobar? Lefty-righty s*** be damned, Youk was the much better option there. And why oh why did Thornton start that inning? If he wanted a lefty to face Crawford, let Quintana pitch to him. I could hear the diasappointment in Hawk's voice from the beginning of the inning. He knew it was a bad decision, too.

Oh well. I hope that loss doesn't start a downward spiral going into Detroit. 2 of 3 is almost a must this weekend.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:04 AM)
I haven't seen a loss like last night in a while. Robin has done a great job with this team, but he made some really bad decisions last night. First, why didn't Youkilis pinch hit for Escobar? Lefty-righty s*** be damned, Youk was the much better option there. And why oh why did Thornton start that inning? If he wanted a lefty to face Crawford, let Quintana pitch to him. I could hear the diasappointment in Hawk's voice from the beginning of the inning. He knew it was a bad decision, too.

Oh well. I hope that loss doesn't start a downward spiral going into Detroit. 2 of 3 is almost a must this weekend.

Defense. If Youk doesn't get a hit, you have a 1-0 game and Youk & his tight hamstring are at 3rd or Hudson is. Obviously, Escobar's defense sucked on that throw, but I believe that was Robin's thinking, which I don't necessarily disagree with. Escobar certainly did not execute though.

As long as we don't get swept. That's the only disaster in the making.

The Tigers have every bit of positive momentum in the world behind them and they're going to have 3 standing room only crowds.

At any rate, you can't back into the playoffs, or even a Wild Card spot.

If we had played .500 against Boston this season (and the bullpen gave away two games in this series, we were only outplayed in the Hernandez start), we'd be 52-40 and they would be 6 1/2 games behind us, not JUST 2 1/2 with Ortiz the only one they're waiting for in the regular line-up to return.

Youkilis must have been really hurt worse than we were led to believe (see Danks and hopefully we'll get positive word on Floyd today) if he wasn't available to pinch hit for Escobar in the 9th.

If Ross just slightly tipped that ball a different direction, it doesn't bounce into the stands, Viciedo scores, the lead in the bottom of the 9th is 2-0 and you can breathe a little easier to start the inning.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:30 AM)
Defense. If Youk doesn't get a hit, you have a 1-0 game and Youk & his tight hamstring are at 3rd or Hudson is. Obviously, Escobar's defense sucked on that throw, but I believe that was Robin's thinking, which I don't necessarily disagree with. Escobar certainly did not execute though.

I would think, then, that Youk's hamstring might have been a little more than just tight. I hope I'm wrong. But, did anyone else feel that the team lacked something without Youk? I truly believe he makes other players better by just being the guy he is.

All of the decision making looks bad right now because everyone out of the pen has been awful for about a week now. I know everyone is on Thornton, but he isn't the one that gave up the 12th 600 ft 3 run homer to Cody Ross either. Thornton struggled. Septimo got his ass kicked and couldn't find the strike zone against Boston last time around. Santiago gave up multiple runs against Boston in this series too. You could say Quintana, but then again I remember a lot of people complaining about Sale throwing too many pitches... Q's career high in innings is almost identical to Sale's numbers from college.

There aren't a lot of choices when all of your choices are pitching like Will Ohman.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 06:30 AM)

Or he just wanted to make sure Youk didn't hurt himself worse in a game that was only worth one in the standings, when you have three games this weekend which are worth two game swings in the standings.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 07:58 AM)
Or he just wanted to make sure Youk didn't hurt himself worse in a game that was only worth one in the standings, when you have three games this weekend which are worth two game swings in the standings.

Except the problem is that the Red Sox more than likely will be our chief competition for the Wild Card spot, should DET pass us by.

There's a huge difference between 2 1/2 games, 4 1/2 and 6 1/2...at the very worst, we should have split with them.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)
Except the problem is that the Red Sox more than likely will be our chief competition for the Wild Card spot, should DET pass us by.

There's a huge difference between 2 1/2 games, 4 1/2 and 6 1/2...at the very worst, we should have split with them.

Right now, the Tigers are our chief concern, following by Cleveland.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:03 AM)

You have no idea what the wild card standings will look like in two months. You know that Detroit is your main competition for the division, the easiest way to make the playoffs. That series is way more important.

Did Escobar fly with the team to Detroit? Is he still on the team? That throw was one of the most obvious choke jobs I have ever seen. I don't know the Spanish translation for "Please don't hit it to me, Senor" but that is what he was probably saying before the grounder. A double play changes everything, including the mind set of both teams. Of course, taking Q out for the 9th was a choke job on the Manager. He (Q) still hadn't walked anyone, his pitch count was low, and he had plenty of time to rest up during the top of the 9th. Plus, the bullpen has been shaky, at best. But Ventura has to do what other Managers do when they have a lights out closer. Take the guy out, so you don't have to think. This is another loss on Robin, and there have been several this year, although Escobar certainly helped. They should both stay off the team plane to Detroit.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:31 AM)
Did Escobar fly with the team to Detroit? Is he still on the team? That throw was one of the most obvious choke jobs I have ever seen. I don't know the Spanish translation for "Please don't hit it to me, Senor" but that is what he was probably saying before the grounder. A double play changes everything, including the mind set of both teams. Of course, taking Q out for the 9th was a choke job on the Manager. He (Q) still hadn't walked anyone, his pitch count was low, and he had plenty of time to rest up during the top of the 9th. Plus, the bullpen has been shaky, at best. But Ventura has to do what other Managers do when they have a lights out closer. Take the guy out, so you don't have to think. This is another loss on Robin, and there have been several this year, although Escobar certainly helped. They should both stay off the team plane to Detroit.

But he didn't even put the closer in, that's the biggest problem. (at least not to start the inning)

Edited by LittleHurt05

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 20, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
But he didn't even put the closer in, that's the biggest problem. (at least not to start the inning)

And when he did, Cody f***ing Ross killed him. It isn't like Addison gave up a sacrifice fly to tie or lose the game. He gave up a bomb of a homer.

Right. Thornton was the worst of the three possible options. Crawford had a .278 average against Thornton, so clearly that particular L-L matchup didn't bother him.

Either leave Quintana in or bring Reed in.

Of course, the offense scoring more than one run would have helped as well.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Quintana became the first pitcher since 1900 to record three scoreless outings of eight innings and not get a decision.

His three starts of eight scoreless innings or more this season are tied for the second most in baseball behind Felix Hernandez.

The last rookie to have at least three outings of eight scoreless innings or more was Justin Verlander in 2006; the last White Sox rookie was Britt Burns in 1980.