2012 White Sox Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
I'm saying it must be nice to be as gawdawful as Rios had been and be able to have people blame it on the manager. My god.

It's ALL on Rios.

He's the guy performing. What a convenient excuse for loafing and sucking.

That Rios gets a pass on this amuses me. Blame it on Ozzie. Hilarious.

Man I wish people could take years off at work in real life like Rios did ... and have those people keep their jobs cause of their bad upper management team.

What a joke.

Hey, now you are seeing it isnt just these messageboard creatures that are pointing it out now. It is actually people that follow the game for a living.

Pretty odd how that works, eh? And conversely, pretty odd how the Marlins added all of these high paid athletes and they ARENT PERFORMING UP TO EXPECTATIONS either. Weird.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:19 PM)
Alex Rios should not be praised for finally earning his money. Give me a break. It's on him for being a piece of crap last year and the other years he sucked. Kudos to him for this year, though. Must be nice to earn the kind of money Rios earns. Critics can say a new manager brought it out of him. That pisses me off. It's ALL ON THE MILLIONAIRE RIOS, not his f***ing coaches.

guillen used to get the most out of his players now he is just bringing them down, collecting a paycheck and playing dominoes.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:31 PM)
Hey, now you are seeing it isnt just these messageboard creatures that are pointing it out now. It is actually people that follow the game for a living.

Pretty odd how that works, eh?

I think it's ridiculous.

I am going to lose a lot of respect for the good baseball minds on this board if they give Rios a free pass for his s*** seasons because he had incompetent ol Ozzie as manager.

Alex Rios should not be praised for finally earning his money. Give me a break. It's on him for being a piece of crap last year and the other years he sucked. Kudos to him for this year, though. Must be nice to earn the kind of money Rios earns. Critics can say a new manager brought it out of him. That pisses me off. It's ALL ON THE MILLIONAIRE RIOS, not his f***ing coaches.

Greg, you're wrong, move on, give it up, and shut up

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Of course you do. I wouldnt expect anything else.

So you are giving Rios a free pass for his s***tiness before this season and tossing your wrath to Ozzie instead?

Before this is over, Ozzie is going to get blamed for this year's attendance woes.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Greg, you're wrong, move on, give it up, and shut up

How could I be wrong? Seriously. Last time I looked Rios is the guy with the glove in his hand and bat in his hand.

Ozzie Guillen is to blame for his s***tiness prior to this year?

Telling me to shut up is not very nice.

Edited by greg775

Man I wish people could take years off at work in real life like Rios did

It's difficult to compare baseball to real life jobs because most of us don't sign guaranteed contracts for multiple years.

... and have those people keep their jobs cause of their bad upper management team.

Good to see you finally admit to this.

Rios isn't be praised, Robin is and rightfully so. Guess what? A big part of a manager's job in any profession is to motivate his employees. Money only goes so far, especially when we're talking about a player with a $55 million guaranteed contract. The fact is a lot of major leagues get lazy and/or stop caring as much once they get that big payday. A good manager will find some way to motivate them anyways and prevent a poor effort from happening. Robin has clearly done something to get Rios going. For whatever reason, Ozzie couldn't do it.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:37 PM)
How could I be wrong? Seriously. Last time I looked Rios is the guy with the glove in his hand and bat in his hand.

Ozzie Guillen is to blame for his s***tiness prior to this year?

Telling me to shut up is not very nice.

There are now NATIONAL pundits as well as the reasonable and rational people on here telling you and pointing out all the obvious signs of why the White Sox are winning this year. It's not mere coincidence, it has everything, and I mean E-V-E-R-Y-T-H-I-N-G to do with the change in clubhouse management. If Ozzie Guillen were still the White Sox manager, the Sox would be in last place - I guarantee it.

To you Ozzie haters, Ozzie said it in the Trib, not me. So I can't get banned for use of Ozzie's words.

Oz said:

"It's not fair when I see a couple of idiots compare the team playing better because so-and-so isn't here,'' Guillen said. "I left this ballclub with a (.524) winning percentage, two postseasons and a championship. When people say stuff about me overrated and overpaid, that's funny. They don't have the guts to tell me to my face.''

How can you not love this guy?

You tell me one other sports manager/coach who talks as candidly as this guy?

I'd love to hear his take on Rios' improvement. It would be a doozy I'm sure.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
So you are giving Rios a free pass for his s***tiness before this season and tossing your wrath to Ozzie instead?

Before this is over, Ozzie is going to get blamed for this year's attendance woes.

Wherever did I say that? I can admit that last year Rios sucked, and Ozzie was a part of the problem. you can do no such thing, all you can do is repeat "Ozzie is rich. Ozzie won a world series. Cooper stabbed him in the back"

I NEVER gave Rios a free pass. But looking at the player we are seeing now compared to what we saw the past few years, it is like seeing a completely different person. Please tell me, what changed between now and then, greg?

VIVA LA CHAVEZ! VIVA LA CASTRO!

I am now done talking about that idiot in this forum. I like to talk about managers that know what they're doing, prepare for each game, and keep players loose and happy. I enjoy watching my team when they're run by managers like that.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
How can you not love this guy?

You tell me one other sports manager/coach who talks as candidly as this guy?

I'd love to hear his take on Rios' improvement. It would be a doozy I'm sure.

I'll respond in a manner you'll understand.

BECAUSE HE'S NOT f***ING LOVABLE WHEN NOT WINNING AND TALKING s***.

TALK s*** WHEN YOU'RE WINNING.

NO, 2005 DOES NOT COUNT AS WINNING IN TWO THOUSAND GODDAMN TWELVE

THEY DON'T TALK AS CANDIDLY BECAUSE THEY HAVE CLASS.

ALSO, OTHER PEOPLE KNOW WHEN TO SHUT THE f*** UP. OZZIE DOESN'T.

HE WON'T CAUSE RIOS IS HIS FRIEND APPARENTLY. REMEMBER BOBBY?

HE s*** ALL OVER BOBBY WHEN HE LEFT. BOBBY SAID NOTHING.

OZZIE IS A PIECE OF s*** MANAGER WHEN HE'S NOT INTO IT.

HE'S NOT INTO IT. HE'S GETTING DRUNK AND PLAYING DOMINOES.

HE HASN'T HAD A NOTEWORTHY SEASON SINCE TWO THOUSAND f***ING FIVE.

THAT WAS SEVEN GODDAMN YEARS AGO.

DESPITE HAVING LOADED TEAMS IN 2006 AND 2011 HE UNPERFORMED. MASSIVELY.

THE 2010 TEAM WOULD HAVE BEEN GOOD IF NOT FOR THE STUPID ROTATING DH s***.

2008 COULD HAVE BEEN GOOD IF HE DIDN'T HATE SOME PLAYERS.

HE FAILED. HE DIDN'T PERFORM. NEITHER DID THE PLAYERS.

BUT THAT'S BECAUSE THEY HAVE MR. CANDID LOUDMOUTH JACKASS ON THEM ALL DAY.

IF I TYPED LIKE THIS ALL THE TIME, COULD YOU TAKE IT?

There, I combined your unique haiku-posting style with Ozzie's yelling and swearing.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
Wherever did I say that? I can admit that last year Rios sucked, and Ozzie was a part of the problem. you can do no such thing, all you can do is repeat "Ozzie is rich. Ozzie won a world series. Cooper stabbed him in the back"

I NEVER gave Rios a free pass. But looking at the player we are seeing now compared to what we saw the past few years, it is like seeing a completely different person. Please tell me, what changed between now and then, greg?

Good at least you admitted Rios sucked and Ozzie was only part of the problem.

As far as what changed between now and then?

Maybe Rios decided to earn his money and play to his talent instead of stealing money.

And I have said over and over Ozzie's time had probably run its course in Chicago. Robin's will run its course as well. Managers are hired to be fired. If Rios is performing better because big bad Ozzie is gone, fine. Good for Rios. I am not discounting this possibility; no way of proving it either way.

But I will never give Rios a pass for his s***tiness before this season and just say it's on Ozzie like some would like to say.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
He said he got that kind of standing O after being traded, came up and hit a home run, and that was the last time they cheered him.

Well, Hawk is clearly full of s***: after being traded to the Indians early in the 1969 season Hawk went on to play 6 games at Fenway that season in an Indians uniform. The thing is: that HR didn't take place until his 29th and final AB of the 6 games. The only scenario in which this is feasible is if the Fenway faithful gave him 29 standing ovations or 1 final standing O for his last AB of the series and then did not cheer him again by default since his next AB in that park wouldn't come until the following season.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 05:33 PM)
Well, Hawk is clearly full of s***: after being traded to the Indians early in the 1969 season Hawk went on to play 6 games at Fenway that season in an Indians uniform. The thing is: that HR didn't take place until his 29th and final AB of the 6 games. The only scenario in which this is feasible is if the Fenway faithful gave him 29 standing ovations or 1 final standing O for his last AB of the series and then did not cheer him again by default since his next AB in that park wouldn't come until the following season.

To be fair, he didn't really say it that way.

He bet Stone that Youkilis would get a standing ovation in his first at bat. Then he said they would cheer him until he beat them, and then it would be a different story. He then said "been there, done that."