Congratulations Paulie!

balfanman

Konerko, meanwhile, had two hits and moved into a tie with Luke Appling for second place in franchise history with 3,528 total bases.

:headbang

Noticed this line in a Tribune article this morning. Does anyone know who is #1 and can Paulie catch him? Is it Big Frank?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:17 AM)
Konerko, meanwhile, had two hits and moved into a tie with Luke Appling for second place in franchise history with 3,528 total bases.

:headbang

Noticed this line in a Tribune article this morning. Does anyone know who is #1 and can Paulie catch him? Is it Big Frank?

Yes, Frank Thomas.

Paulie's Sox career ranks:

Games: 4th with 1920 (Appling 2422)

Runs: 5th with 1020 (Thomas 1327)

Hits: 5th with 1983 (Appling 2749)

Doubles: 3rd with 362 (Thomas 447)

Homers: 2nd with 389 (Thomas 448)

RBI: 2nd with 1235 (Thomas 1465)

Strikeouts: 2nd with 1143 (Thomas 1165)

Total Bases: 3rd wtih 3528 (Thomas 3949)

Extra-base Hits: 2nd with 758 (Thomas 906)

GIDP: 1st wtih 236

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 07:43 AM)

So he is within reach of most of these with 2 - 3 decent seasons. He is almost a perfect example of the race between the tortoise and the hare (not a comment on his speed), he has been, with a few exceptions in his career, about as consistant as you can get for a slugger.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:32 AM)
He's top five in almost every category in our franchise,

Yet he's still not considered a Hall of Famer. Speaks a lot about our franchise.

True, but if, IF, he is able to produce for the 2 - 3 more seasons, then I would think that he would be almost a shoe in for the HOF. Not first ballot mind you, but he would get in. Again, JMHO. Interesting discussion though.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:40 AM)
True, but if, IF, he is able to produce for the 2 - 3 more seasons, then I would think that he would be almost a shoe in for the HOF. Not first ballot mind you, but he would get in. Again, JMHO. Interesting discussion though.

When a guy is a top 10 in the MVP voting level player but never reaches the #1 MVP, best player in the league for a year or two level, he has a shot at the HOF, but he needs the career milestones to do it. 3000 hits or 500 HR or something like that.

Guys like Biggio, Michael Young, etc.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:45 AM)
When a guy is a top 10 in the MVP voting level player but never reaches the #1 MVP, best player in the league for a year or two level, he has a shot at the HOF, but he needs the career milestones to do it. 3000 hits or 500 HR or something like that.

I'm not sure what he has, but wouldn't 2 - 3 more decent seasons put him near 500 homers?

QUOTE (balfanman @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 10:48 AM)
I'm not sure what he has, but wouldn't 2 - 3 more decent seasons put him near 500 homers?

Yes.

And if he were to get there, I think that's the finish line for him getting in. PK14 would go in eventually.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:32 AM)
He's top five in almost every category in our franchise,

Yet he's still not considered a Hall of Famer. Speaks a lot about our franchise.

These years could set him apart potentially. In the steroid era, he blended in with a lot of other big numbers. Now that they are crashing back to earth, if PK can keep it up, he could make a powerful statement.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)

I am curious how many times Paulie has finished top 10 in MVP voting. I don't think he was even a top 5 player in the league at any given year, when defense is considered. When Paulie retires, the WAR value could become even more common in evaluating the HOF credential of a player, and WAR has never favored Paulie.

To be honest, I don't even think 500 HR would put him in automatically, but it would give him an outside shot.

If he does get in, it won't be because of his dominance over several peak years, it would be for his longevity and consistency.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 11:02 AM)
I am curious how many times Paulie has finished top 10 in MVP voting. I don't think he was even a top 5 player in the league at any given year, when defense is considered. When Paulie retires, the WAR value could become even more common in evaluating the HOF credential of a player, and WAR has never favored Paulie.

To be honest, I don't even think 500 HR would put him in automatically, but it would give him an outside shot.

If he does get in, it won't be because of his dominance over several peak years, it would be for his longevity and consistency.

5 all star appearances so far, 2 top 6 MVP vote seasons, 4 top 20 MVP vote seasons.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)

Hey, he's #1 in something!

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 10, 2012 -> 08:56 PM)
Hey, he's #1 in something!

And he will surely pass Thomas in another category shortly into the season. He's like Favre.. might as well take the interception record too! #1 across the board. Haha.

Paulie also holds his own vs the rest of the bigs since he became a full time starter.

MLB Ranking since 1999 (top 20):

6th in HR

6th in RBI

6th in Games

9th in Sac Flies

11th in At Bats

15th in Hits

17th in Runs

19th in SLG Pct

*according to Baseballmusings.com

Looking at some of the other players on the lists, there are many suspected/confirmed PED users ahead of him. If you take them out, he is much higher in almost every category.