The New Souvenir Store at U.S. Cellular Field

LVSoxFan

Mods I hope this is White Sox related-enough to be in this forum but I wanted to get feedback.

OK, my first thought before entering was: man... what must they be thinking at Grandstand? I'm kind of partial to that place and I want to root for the local guy. This is direct competition for them, in that they also sell Bulls, Bears, Cubs (eek!) and even Big 10 stuff.

So in we went. I will say, the store is beautifully done. Lots of bright colors, nice layout, awesome video walls. Yes walls, not just a big flatscreen. Watching the game going on on those was an experience I should hopefully be able to create once I've won the lottery.

There were some AWESOME "aged" sweatshirts and t-shirts, along with all the regular gear and jerseys. But what floored me was: the prices.

The cool sweatshirt? $70. For a sweatshirt. Made in India. A couple of them were $90. I can tell you from experience that I once splurged on an "aged" waffle long-sleeve t-shirt that looked way cool but fell apart within a year.

The t-shirts? $40-$50. Look, being an owner of multiple jerseys I get paying full-price for those, because you'll have them/wear them for the rest of your life. And they're the same thing the players are/were wearing.

But what I can't figure out is: who are they targeting with these prices? If you have kids (I don't), I'm imagining you're already dropping a ton of cash just on the food, tix, parking and the expensive prices for gear INSIDE the park. I can't imagine then waltzing over to this place, nice as it is, to drop hundreds on merchandise that in this example must be marked up six, seven times over.

And this is coming from a guy who will drop and has dropped literally thousands over the years on cool White Sox stuff--but even I balked at the price of the sweatshirt.

I saw a lot of salespeople standing around which could be due to the fact that it's Sunday, people had already left after the Tigers went further up in the 7th, etc. But I can't imagine what the business model is for that place at those prices.

Or am I missing something?

Edited by LVSoxFan

It's pretty common in the ballpark. I went to the ballpark souvenir store at a Cardinals game last year, and it was chilly and I was looking for a sweatshirt. Cheapest sweatshirt? $90.00. Concessions are pricier because there are so many places that get a cut from the proceeds, and being in the stands, its easier to get a little more out of you. But I gotta say, every time I look to buy something in a stadium, I usually end up going to the shop down the street instead.

Does anyone know if they carry the new era White Sox mini cap? It's like the authentic cap, same materials (not plastic), but way smaller obviously. Seems to be the only team not available on the new era website. I'm starting to wonder if they only made one batch and the white sox ones sold out.

There are a lot more high end merch/apparel out there now. Hence the higher prices. Majestic player shirts are $30. same as they were last year.

As for grandstand, I read that they were offered to participate, but declined when the sox asked them to shut down thier store on wallace as part of the deal. So the Sox offered the store to Sportservice, who handled merch/concessions already.

Oh, and grandstand aint cheap either.

Ha, I thought the same thing about grandstand when I first walked in. They're going to get crushed.

The store is beautiful and has TONS of cool stuff, but as others mentioned, it's just too pricey. You can find the same stuff for cheaper online.

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Ha, I thought the same thing about grandstand when I first walked in. They're going to get crushed.

The store is beautiful and has TONS of cool stuff, but as others mentioned, it's just too pricey. You can find the same stuff for cheaper online.

I use both grandstand and the sox stores as market research. then i buy online.

QUOTE (SnB @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

Even in today's age of internet, you would be suprised how many people will spend the money on gear at the ballpark. At Blackhawks games, the store is absolutely packed at every game buying all kinds of merchandise, and it's also overpriced.

As the father of young kids...if they see it, they want it. And they don't always understand the concept of "Hey, it's cheaper down the street so you are going to have to wait to walk down there and wait in another line. Oh, and by they way, they may not have that exact same thing." Sometimes...if you aren't in the mood for an absolute meltdown...you just give in and enjoy the memory.

Honestly, if I'm taking my kid(s) to the game, I'm not thinking about how much things cost. It's the experience. If it's just me or me and my wife or me and some friends, yeah, I'm not buying anything there.