4/23/12 GT Sox @ A's 9:05pm, CSN+

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:32 PM)
Again, plenty of time for Viciedo to get back on track, but the way things are going, Colon doesn't seem like a good match-up for him. He'll get a lefty tomorrow and then could face a AAA pitcher on Wednesday.

Why, because of that blazing 91 mph fastball he can't catch up with?

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 10:33 PM)

I thought he had restored his fastball back into the 93-94 mph range last year...had no idea he was down to 91.3. For now, I hope Viciedo proves some of us wrong and hits some of those tailing fastballs on the outer half into the right field stands.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
I thought he had restored his fastball back into the 93-94 mph range last year...had no idea he was down to 91.3. For now, I hope Viciedo proves some of us wrong and hits some of those tailing fastballs on the outer half into the right field stands.

The sad thing is, this is pretty much exactly what I expected would happen several months ago...bad starts for the young 3, calls growing for all 3 of them to see the bench. The only bright sign for me so far is that Robin flat out hasn't listened, and I really hope he keeps that up.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)

Have you seen Colon pitch recently?

He controls both the 4-seamer and the 2-seamer about as well as is humanly possible. Viciedo would have looked like a fool had he faced Colon last week with the stuff he had against the Angels...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 05:48 PM)
Have you seen Colon pitch recently?

He controls both the 4-seamer and the 2-seamer about as well as is humanly possible. Viciedo would have looked like a fool had he faced Colon last week with the stuff he had against the Angels...

Battle of the resurging Colon vs the resurging Peavy. Or how many fans will see this epic battle of 2 former Cy young winners do battle in the colliseum.

Edited by forrestg

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)

He was hitting 93 in Anaheim, but mainly in the 91 range. Curve looks great.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:10 PM)
He was hitting 93 in Anaheim, but mainly in the 91 range. Curve looks great.

Yeah, but he's cutting the thing over the outside ege on right handers....it's nasty nasty

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 05:30 PM)
If they're going to compete, it's not going to be because of Kosuke Fukudome's contributions in the corner OF spot, it's going to be because we got Viciedo's struggles out of the way and got to the point where he is a contributor. Same story for Beckham and probably Morel.

Edit: This story is, of course, the Tyler Colvin story all over again.

The only one "on the clock" right now is Beckham. Viciedo and Morel have time. I think Viciedo's star has faded somewhat within the organization and I wouldn't be shocked to see him used as trade bait.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 06:44 PM)
The only one "on the clock" right now is Beckham. Viciedo and Morel have time. I think Viciedo's star has faded somewhat within the organization and I wouldn't be shocked to see him used as trade bait.

Couldn't be more wrong about Viciedo from what I've heard. He's just a baby and quality prospects his age are typically still in AA.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 05:47 PM)
The sad thing is, this is pretty much exactly what I expected would happen several months ago...bad starts for the young 3, calls growing for all 3 of them to see the bench. The only bright sign for me so far is that Robin flat out hasn't listened, and I really hope he keeps that up.

Except you didn't expect the team to be a 1/2 game out of first because of an extremely talented pitching staff and production from Dunn & Rios.

I understand the need to develop these three guys, but at the same time you must also recognize this team can win now with it's pitching. There's got to be some balance between the two. Playing Fukudome or Lillibridge here or there is not not going to stunt Viciedo, Morel, or Beckham's development, but it could help us win a couple of games and that might be the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the end.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:25 PM)
Except you didn't expect the team to be a 1/2 game out of first because of an extremely talented pitching staff and production from Dunn & Rios.

I understand the need to develop these three guys, but at the same time you must also recognize this team can win now with it's pitching. There's got to be some balance between the two. Playing Fukudome or Lillibridge here or there is not not going to stunt Viciedo, Morel, or Beckham's development, but it could help us win a couple of games and that might be the difference between making and missing the playoffs in the end.

Its 15 games. They appear much better than last year, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. Some teams that were 9-6 or better last year through 15 are Cleveland, KC, Marlins and Reds, and Angels. Texas was as well, so maybe it will lead to a WS, but there are most likely going to be some bad patches. Stick with the plan and develop your players. If it gets a little more serious down the road and Viciedo is still struggling, then you can do something.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:24 PM)
Couldn't be more wrong about Viciedo from what I've heard. He's just a baby and quality prospects his age are typically still in AA.

He's 23, certainly not exceptionally young for a slugging LF prospect.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:50 PM)
He's 23, certainly not exceptionally young for a slugging LF prospect.

People want a total rebuild, but can't let a guy have a bad week before developing players takes a back seat. Sit down and watch Viciedo develop. There's really nothing else he can do in AAA. It would be a waste of time.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 08:52 PM)
People want a total rebuild, but can't let a guy have a bad week before developing players takes a back seat. Sit down and watch Viciedo develop. There's really nothing else he can do in AAA. It would be a waste of time.

But...a rough couple months, even a rough first year...completely expected.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 07:52 PM)

Sure. With Viciedo though what are we looking at? We'd be satisfied if he turned out to be a Nelson Cruz-type. That's a good everyday corner OF'er, but nothing you should build a season around developing.

But we have no other impact bats within sight in AA/AAA (please, don't mention McPherson, Dan Johnson or Conor Jackson)...so we go with Viciedo and see what he can do.

We're certainly not going to trade him after ONE bad week.

He was around .300 with 2 homers in the first ten games...well over a 30 homer pace for the entire season.

Let's relax a little bit, we've always acknowledged the Cuban players starting off slowly, although the weather hasn't been exceptionally cool compared to years past.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (forrestg @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 11:09 PM)
Battle of the resurging Colon vs the resurging Peavy. Or how many fans will see this epic battle of 2 former Cy young winners do battle in the colliseum.

In Oakland I am thinking 16000. I think what we need to do is stay close and if Peavy is as on as he has been he can batle Colon, if Bart is on his game. Then you get into their bullpen and win

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Apr 24, 2012 -> 01:00 AM)
Sure. With Viciedo though what are we looking at? We'd be satisfied if he turned out to be a Nelson Cruz-type. That's a good everyday corner OF'er, but nothing you should build a season around developing.
\\

Nelson Cruz ain't so bad is he?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 05:04 PM)
With all three of those guys struggling with fastballs this year, it wouldn't have been the worst thing to get Lillibridge and Fukudome in the lineup again. I'm all for Viciedo getting his opportunity this year, but you hate to have such a poor bottom of the order when you have so many other hitters on fire.

It is April and it is Viciedo.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 09:53 PM)
It is April and it is Viciedo.

This. It's amazing how capable people are of taking the long view in January, but when April rolls around and s**t gets real, it's time to sit Viciedo (even though he looked promising just one week ago).

QUOTE (ScottyDo @ Apr 23, 2012 -> 09:50 PM)
This particular Saturday blackout was tragic, though. :(

:gosox1:

Yeah, I only got to see the last 3 outs, thanks to the Fox/Boston-NY lovefest. I hate Saturday Fox blackouts.