White Sox @ Oakland 4.25 game thread 2:35pm

• Replies 810
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
On the plus side, our pitching has been unreal outside of the blown save. Starting pitching is exceptional.

In games where Santiago has blown a save, the bullpen has given up 12 runs.

In conclusion, it's Santiago's fault. He shouldn't be closing.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
I will lose respect for Robin if Santiago is the one player he decides to knee jerk out of his role.

There's an argument to be made about whether he should have started there, but he saved 4 in a row and you can't pull players just like that. It'll ruin the clubhouse.

Really? You think pulling a rookie is going to ruin the clubhouse. I think it's worse if he doesn't. Matt Thornton should be closing.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
On the plus side, our pitching has been unreal outside of the blown save. Starting pitching is exceptional.

And we should not waste those good starting pitching by blowing a save.

Edited by bulokis

I will lose respect for Robin if Santiago is the one player he decides to knee jerk out of his role.

There's an argument to be made about whether he should have started there, but he saved 4 in a row and you can't pull players just like that. It'll ruin the clubhouse.

You know what will ruin a clubhouse, having your closer give up home runs all of the time.

QUOTE (jeffro2525 @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:36 PM)
Hurts...gotta shake it off.

Seriously. It's one game. still 10-8. Still a 4-2 roadtrip. All is not lost.

Get em' tomorrow.

2 games already it is a HUGE problem.

He's pitched 6 1/3 innings giving up 11 hits and 4 homers. Robin would lose respect if he kept throwing him out there blowing leads. Most of the time he's been brought in with a 2 or 3 run lead so he could still give up a run or 2 and be OK, but its time to move him out of that role especially with 3 or 4 other guys pitching lights out.

If he had a track record as a closer, I'd agree with you, but he has no track record. He's in over his head right now. Maybe he'll get another opportunity another time.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)
With the way some of you armchair manage, I have to wonder how many posters here have played competitive baseball.

It's quite obvious that Santiago just cannot face right handed hitters. You cannot have that as your closer.

Santiago to the minors and we keep watching Beckham, Morel and Viciedo fail?

Okay.

But Santiago should be tried as a starter, anyway.

That will be the FLIGHT FROM HELL coming back home, though.

And the Red Sox will be coming in with a 3 game streak...we win four in a row, twice now, give it right back.

Once again, the perfect game or no hitter ends up having a bounceback effect on the team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)
It's quite obvious that Santiago just cannot face right handed hitters. You cannot have that as your closer.

Exactly. Like it was predicted by many on here before the season started, he would be good in the loogy role, thats where he belongs.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:39 PM)

He'd be alright in the Will Ohman role.

He's made some lefties look awful.

QUOTE (Jake @ Apr 25, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
With the way some of you armchair manage, I have to wonder how many posters here have played competitive baseball.

I don't know what competitive baseball you played but giving up runs in droves is the way to the bench in college.