2012 NFL Draft Thread

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say I'm shocked at the reaction of Bears fans. Emery seemed to like McClellin's ability to play LB or DE. And the people freaking out because he mentioned special teams are hilarious. He said it in reference to him being a 4-down player, as in, punt/kick plays on 4th down. At least that's what I gathered from it. It's pretty typical of NFL fans to have the "Hey, this isn't the big name guy who went to a big school so this pick sucks" reaction.

And seriously, a Dan f***ing Bazuin reference? Disgraceful. Emery gets benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. The guys is known for his extensive scouting and talent evaluation. And with all the scouting they've done, how about we give the guy a chance to play a snap before we jump to conclusions?

Expect an offensive linemen or WR in the 2nd round.

The funny thing is, if the guy the Bears got was drafted 10-15 spots later by the Bears (like they traded down), the fans would be happy with it. But just because he was drafted slightly early, the guy someone becomes a worse player.

Well its a little stupid to spend the 19th overall pick on a backup when we have glaring holes elsewhere. If they want to take a risk on some small school prospect with no upper body strength in the 2nd round, and you've addressed bigger needs (Offensive Line) already it would be hard not to be OK with it.

And Emery doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, that's not how this works. The Bears window, if it isn't closed already, is closing fast... frankly I'd fire the guy outright for pulling a move this stupid when there were clearly better players available. I know I'm in the minority on that, but already I'm sick and tired of Emery.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:43 AM)
Well its a little stupid to spend the 19th overall pick on a backup when we have glaring holes elsewhere. If they want to take a risk on some small school prospect with no upper body strength in the 2nd round, and you've addressed bigger needs (Offensive Line) already it would be hard not to be OK with it.

And Emery doesn't get the benefit of the doubt, that's not how this works. The Bears window, if it isn't closed already, is closing fast... frankly I'd fire the guy outright for pulling a move this stupid when there were clearly better players available. I know I'm in the minority on that, but already I'm sick and tired of Emery.

You need to relax.

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:43 AM)

Just because you think the Bears needed a guard more than a defensive end doesnt it make it the right assessment. I dont know enough about this kid to say if its a total bust of a pick yet but a pass rushing de/olb was absolutely one of the "glaring needs" you discussed.

Also I dont know how you figure this kid is a backup already. He might not be the starter right away but they wouldnt have drafted him to be the backup and only play special teams. Idonije didnt have a great season last year and its not like Roach is setting the world on fire at OLB. Also, defensive lineman rotate a lot. Just because a guy isnt named the starter doesnt mean he wont get a good number of snaps.

Player A: 4.72 40 yd dash, 13 bench press reps, 33 inch vertical, 120 inch broad jump, 7.11 3 cone drill, 4.34 20 yd shuttle (6'6, 240)

Player B: 4.63 40 yd dash, 19 bench press reps, 31.5 inch verical, 118 inch broad jump, 7.07 3 cone drill, 4.33 20 yd shuttle (6'3, 260)

Player B is Shea McClellin. Player A is Jared Allen.

Am I saying he's going to be Jared Allen? Of course not. Should we give the guy a chance? Absolutely.

Defensive linemen rotate in and out so much these days that your third DE isn't really a backup. He plays almost as many snaps as the first two.

If the Bears could have still gotten him ten picks later, then they missed an opportunity to trade down, but then none of us really knows that one of those other teams wouldn't have taken him.

A guy who can get to the quarterback, especially when you play a Cover 2 and don't blitz much, is always a good pick, if that's what this guy turns out to be.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 02:17 AM)
Player A: 4.72 40 yd dash, 13 bench press reps, 33 inch vertical, 120 inch broad jump, 7.11 3 cone drill, 4.34 20 yd shuttle (6'6, 240)

Player B: 4.63 40 yd dash, 19 bench press reps, 31.5 inch verical, 118 inch broad jump, 7.07 3 cone drill, 4.33 20 yd shuttle (6'3, 260)

Player B is Shea McClellin. Player A is Jared Allen.

Am I saying he's going to be Jared Allen? Of course not. Should we give the guy a chance? Absolutely.

Outstanding post and that kid actually reminds me alot of Allen comming out (ya I said it).

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 26, 2012 -> 10:24 PM)
Tell the truth... think back to 2000, when we didn't have this advanced internet pouring with information and there was no YouTube, how much did you know about the safety from New Mexico that the Bears drafted to play MLB?

The funny thing is that I remember most of the talk being about him as an OLB, not a middle.

Well, I'm not at all surprised by the reactions, but I will say again that Lovie Smith's job is literally now on the back of a kid from Boise State (and another from West Texas A&M also). So if those 2 can't cut it immediately, then Emery gets to pick his coach and system.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 07:45 AM)
The funny thing is that I remember most of the talk being about him as an OLB, not a middle.

I just heard this talked about on the Score recently. The Bears thought the same thing & played him at OLB where he struggled. Then whoever the middle linebacker was got hurt, Urlacher took his place, and the rest is history.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 12:38 AM)
I can't say I'm shocked at the reaction of Bears fans. Emery seemed to like McClellin's ability to play LB or DE. And the people freaking out because he mentioned special teams are hilarious. He said it in reference to him being a 4-down player, as in, punt/kick plays on 4th down. At least that's what I gathered from it. It's pretty typical of NFL fans to have the "Hey, this isn't the big name guy who went to a big school so this pick sucks" reaction.

No its more of a "there was a starting LT on the board and thats the biggest black hole on the team" reaction. Instead we got a 3-4 rush linebacker for a 4-3 defensive team.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 01:13 AM)
Just because you think the Bears needed a guard more than a defensive end doesnt it make it the right assessment. I dont know enough about this kid to say if its a total bust of a pick yet but a pass rushing de/olb was absolutely one of the "glaring needs" you discussed.

Also I dont know how you figure this kid is a backup already. He might not be the starter right away but they wouldnt have drafted him to be the backup and only play special teams. Idonije didnt have a great season last year and its not like Roach is setting the world on fire at OLB. Also, defensive lineman rotate a lot. Just because a guy isnt named the starter doesnt mean he wont get a good number of snaps.

Well I'm glad you can admit this...otherwise, call me shocked that you're not employed by an NFL team with this kind of knowledge and foresight.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:27 AM)
A lot of scouts don't think that Riley Reiff can play left tackle. Maybe the Bears thought he was a RT.

You never draft for need. The Browns are a team that always drafts for need.

Didn't the Bears just draft for need?

Was DE a big need for the Bears? I think they have some solid players already.

From Wes Bunting:

The Bears will allow Boise State DE Shea McClellin to play to his strength and rush from a three-point stance, where he is noticeably more comfortable and effective compared to when rushing standing up. Should have an instant impact off the edge and could be a 10-12 sack guy in the NFL.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 08:54 AM)
Was DE a big need for the Bears? I think they have some solid players already.

From Wes Bunting:

The Bears will allow Boise State DE Shea McClellin to play to his strength and rush from a three-point stance, where he is noticeably more comfortable and effective compared to when rushing standing up. Should have an instant impact off the edge and could be a 10-12 sack guy in the NFL.

Finding someone to put on the other side of Peppers was always mentioned as one of the Bears big needs in everything I read going into the draft.

All teams pretty much have need at every position all the time. Just the way it is in the NFL, but if you come into a draft and go we need a LT more than anything and we are going to draft whatever LT falls to us. That is a bad way to draft.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:04 AM)
All teams pretty much have need at every position all the time. Just the way it is in the NFL, but if you come into a draft and go we need a LT more than anything and we are going to draft whatever LT falls to us. That is a bad way to draft.

Absolutely. But if you're truly drafting the "best available player" and that happens to be a QB at your spot four years in a row...

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:09 AM)
Absolutely. But if you're truly drafting the "best available player" and that happens to be a QB at your spot four years in a row...

Well you have to be a little selective. Sometimes what you need is the best available or at least really close.

All I know is I'm glad the Packers didn't pick for need in 2005. They definitely didn't need a QB, but took one anyway.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Apr 27, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Well you have to be a little selective. Sometimes what you need is the best available or at least really close.

All I know is I'm glad the Packers didn't pick for need in 2005. They definitely didn't need a QB, but took one anyway.

Their starting QB was about to turn 36. That was absolutely a "need" pick.