Slow pitch softball thread

QUOTE (farmteam @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:30 PM)
You should probably check out one of this guy's Friday night games....

lol he's not bulls***ting. Williams actually lives in Austin (he went to UT).

He was talking about how Ricky's athletic as hell (obviously), but he misplays balls in the OF at times.

I should go check it out though.

• Replies 729
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:33 PM)

He was talking about how Ricky's athletic as hell (obviously), but he misplays balls in the OF at times.

Oh I didn't think he was lying (though possible I guess), it's certainly plausible that Ricky Williams plays in some Austin leagues. I just meant that it would be cool to see Ricky Williams playing softball.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:33 PM)

With as much ganja as Ricky smokes, of course some balls will be misplayed. Who cares?

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 11:49 PM)
With as much ganja as Ricky smokes, of course some balls will be misplayed. Who cares?

Apparently, he's drug-free now.

Williams actually played in the Phillies' farm system.

Edited by chw42

I heard Eric Brynes was playing slow pitch softball like a year after his retirement, or maybe it was in a year where he was having trouble finding a deal, either way, he was pretty much going from the majors to slow pitch softball, I'm sure it was incredible to watch.

I played in a league against former Packers and Saints defensive end Jared Tomich a few years ago. He hairline fractured my ankle with a linedrive back when I played 3B. I couldn't even get my mitt down in time to stop the direct hit off my ankle.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 24, 2013 -> 12:29 AM)
Like I said before, Cotts played with us before he went back. Other teams REALLY hate you for it, and I only brought a pitcher who was an average hitter.

I dunno, I feel any major league pitcher would still be a dominating hitter, even in A-leagues.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 23, 2013 -> 12:00 PM)
Arlington Heights does roster checks before playoff games now because of the complaints. So, I actually do have to bring my drivers license to games.

That's good to hear. That always made me crazy. There were a few seasons when my team would take first in the regular season, and we'd end up playing a bunch of A-league ringer strangers in the playoffs.

Fall season starts tomorrow, doubleheaders from here on out(which makes me very happy)

Although there are 5 new teams out of 10 that I have never heard of before. Kind of unsure about that, I hope it isn't a few of the tourney teams I know that go under different names in order to level down and get an easier season.

Lost in title game tonight. The other team played out of their asses and my team played tight. I hit two leadoff triple and was stranded.

Worst part was my pregnant wife playing catcher and she had 3 plays at the plate. I told her that was her final game, too stressful.

We won our first two games 18-15 and 16-5. First game we were losing 15-6 going into the bottom of the 6th and we just went in a run. I was pretty nervous, and it was a bad team that had no business beating us, but our pitcher was in Wisconsin pitching.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 30, 2013 -> 09:04 PM)
We won our first two games 18-15 and 16-5. First game we were losing 15-6 going into the bottom of the 6th and we just went in a run. I was pretty nervous, and it was a bad team that had no business beating us, but our pitcher was in Wisconsin pitching.

This is why softball is awesome.

You're pretty much never out of it.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 12:08 AM)
Couple of gapper hr's tonight.

A guy on my team is like how do you put those in the right spot? The answer: I dont. I try to make solid contact and it just ends up there. IMO whenever you try to aim you dribble a grounder.

I've been trying to hit line drives recently and I keep hitting fly balls. Maybe I should just stop trying to hit anything in particular and swing as hard as possible.

BTW, played with Ricky Williams yesterday. His range in the OF is ridiculous (almost made a diving catch, LF caught the ball after it bounced off his glove), but he didn't have a great game at the plate. He had one really hard hit single up the middle, the rest were more or less routine grounders. He's also a really chill dude.

Unfortunately, we lost by 1. The other team played great defense, blooped the s*** out of us, and we couldn't hit for the first 3 innings.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 10:56 AM)
I've been trying to hit line drives recently and I keep hitting fly balls. Maybe I should just stop trying to hit anything in particular and swing as hard as possible.

BTW, played with Ricky Williams yesterday. His range in the OF is ridiculous (almost made a diving catch, LF caught the ball after it bounced off his glove), but he didn't have a great game at the plate. He had one really hard hit single up the middle, the rest were more or less routine grounders. He's also a really chill dude.

Unfortunately, we lost by 1. The other team played great defense, blooped the s*** out of us, and we couldn't hit for the first 3 innings.

I literally just try to square it up and get my arms extended. Other than that its anyone's guess. I had one to the RF gap and one to LF, next time up i hit the pitcher in the chest.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 10:59 AM)
I literally just try to square it up and get my arms extended. Other than that its anyone's guess. I had one to the RF gap and one to LF, next time up i hit the pitcher in the chest.

I hit 4 balls to pretty much the exact same spot (LCF gap) on Monday (all on absolute meatball pitches). The other team's defense never adjusted and I got 3 extra base hits out of it.

I'd still rather hit line drive singles though. Just missing on a fly ball usually means a catchable ball.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Sep 6, 2013 -> 11:01 AM)
I'm so jealous. Kickball is so damn fun, haven't played in years though.

Kickball his huge down here in Austin (hey, it's a hipster sport in a hipster city). I think I may have to get involved at some point.