Paul Konerko All-Star Campaign

Quin

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 01:11 PM)
I hate the world. I voted 75 goddamn times for them and nothing?

f*** Fielder.

Fatman sucks.

Konerko's wOBA is 80 points higher while not sucking as much in the field.

People puzzle me. The majority of baseball fans are stupid.

If the All Star Game continues to mean something, something has to change with how players get selected.. If Konerko, Dunn, Sale, Peavy, and even AJ played for the Yankees they'd be in no problem. As it stands, the first baseman voted in will not be close to being the best.

Just did some quick research so there is a chance I could have messed this up, but here goes:

The last White Sox position player to start the All-Star Game was Frank Thomas in 1995.

Since then, every single team in the MLB has had at least one player start the All-Star Game, except the White Sox and Kansas City.

Now, I just looked on baseball-reference.com, so this doesn't tell me (as far as I know) if said player in the starting line-up was voted in or was placed in the line-up after someone dropped out. I'm sure that happened plenty of times actually (for example Jason Bay started for the Pirates in 2006, and I don't recall him being voted in, but I could be wrong)

Even with the "person voted in dropped out" scenerio, there has never been a White Sox player apparently in the second or third position on the depth chart to get a shot. How ridiculous is that?!

Edited by Cali

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Just did some quick research so there is a chance I could have messed this up, but here goes:

The last White Sox position player to start the All-Star Game was Frank Thomas in 1995.

Since then, every single team in the MLB has had at least one player start the All-Star Game, except the White Sox and Kansas City.

Now, I just looked on baseball-reference.com, so this doesn't tell me (as far as I know) if said player in the starting line-up was voted in or was placed in the line-up after someone dropped out. I'm sure that happened plenty of times actually (for example Jason Bay started for the Pirates in 2006, and I don't recall him being voted in, but I could be wrong)

Even with the "person voted in dropped out" scenerio, there has never been a White Sox player apparently in the second or third position on the depth chart to get a shot. How ridiculous is that?!

Technically haven't the White Sox had someone start the all star game as a pitcher? I thought Loazia or someone did.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:36 PM)
Technically haven't the White Sox had someone start the all star game as a pitcher? I thought Loazia or someone did.

You're a real jerk you know that?

Anyways, I'm strictly talking about position players. Loaiza, Buehrle, and Garland started if I'm not mistaken.

Hey maybe Sale will add to that list...

QUOTE (Cali @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 04:44 PM)
You're a real jerk you know that?

Anyways, I'm strictly talking about position players. Loaiza, Buehrle, and Garland started if I'm not mistaken.

Hey maybe Sale will add to that list...

Its what I do. You going to any of the Dodgers/Sox games?

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 02:49 PM)
New update: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...#voteupdate0611

Paulie K has moved up to 2nd, AJ moved up to 4th, and Dunn moved on to the list, at 3rd place.

Still behind by about 250K. Hopefully, he gets on another hot streak to promote himself.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 03:07 AM)
I'm thinking we get Konerko, Dunn, Sale, Peavy, and MAYBE AJ. And I don't just mean by vote, I mean voting + manager picks + Final vote.

I think we get Konerko, Sale, AJ in the manger picks + vote. Peavy and Dunn maybe by manager, but I can see them being skipped. De Aza merely on the final vote roster, but not necessarily winning it.

I'd bet Dunn is the guy who gets left out. Konerko would be a good snub guess if his average weren't so ridiculous because of the position he plays. That is exact reason Dunn may not make it. Sale and Peavy are too good of stories to ignore. AJ plays in a shallow position. De Aza doesn't have much of a chance either because of all of the OF depth, and all teams have to send one player.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 05:51 AM)
I think we get Konerko, Sale, AJ in the manger picks + vote. Peavy and Dunn maybe by manager, but I can see them being skipped. De Aza merely on the final vote roster, but not necessarily winning it.

De Aza is the third most valuable OFer in the AL.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&players=0

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Sox will have more than 2 all stars for the first time since 2006 when they had 7. SEVEN. That is not a typo.

Without looking it up, who can name the 7?

Your hint is that 2 of them still play for the White Sox.

Thome, Buehrle, Konerko, Pierzynski, Contreras, Dye, Jenks

QUOTE (rowand's rowdies @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:42 AM)
Sox will have more than 2 all stars for the first time since 2006 when they had 7. SEVEN. That is not a typo.

Without looking it up, who can name the 7?

Your hint is that 2 of them still play for the White Sox.

I think a lot of that had to do with Ozzie being manager. I remember a lot of fans thought he was doing his players favors by including them on the team. Buehrle probably shouldn't have been on the team. He was really struggling in June and July that year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 10:17 AM)
De Aza is the third most valuable OFer in the AL.

http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=...0&players=0

Too bad that means nothing to fans.

ASG voting is a little like the NCAA tourney selection in that there is a bubble of sorts. The big difference is NCAA bubble teams control their own destiny. Win your conference tourney and you are in. If not, some last place school might get hot and you're out.

Unfortunately, with the ASG, the bubble includes a lot of far more deserving performers who get bumped out by fan voting. If a struggling player gets voted in by fans during a down year, the most deserving player might get in via player/manager selections and then the De Azas of the world get shuffled down the roster until their best shot is the final vote, if they're lucky. The current web setup allows you to select a team logo to highlight all their players. To me, that blatantly favors teams with bigger fan bases and encourages stupid fans to vote blindly.

With that said, I actually do not mind fan voting but believe paper ballots should finally be eliminated and replaced with computer kiosks. These kiosks and the website should still break the "ballot" down by league and position, but should also automatically show player statistics, sortable by category. Right now, although comparisons are available, the website is difficult for a voter to compare and vote at the same time. I believe it is somewhat deliberate in order to favor teams with bigger fan bases (ie for future ratings). The ballot can still initially list players randomly (alphabetical, by team, division, team standings, etc.) in order to show no favoritism, but make comparison easy.

You will still get fans voting for their historical favorite teams and players, but it might influence enough voters to switch toward more deserving players.

• 3 weeks later...