Blue Jays @ White Sox

Heads22

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 06:48 PM)
I respectfully disagree. He got away with a lot of bad pitches/hard hit balls early in the game against a terrible Tampa lineup, but thankfully he sharpened up after the Sox got to Shields. He got torched by the Twins in the start prior to that. He seemed to be throwing his change-up a lot tonight, and that's usually his #3 pitch.

He stunk tonight. He is really struggling with his command.

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (soxmaniac! @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:46 PM)
If anything, the number of people botching it and saying "CuHumber" instead of "CucHumber" is why he is struggling. Nothing jinxes a player like spelling his nickname wrong

I prefer nothing jinxes a player like a terrible nickname

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
It's kinda crazy how much his HR/9 innings, BB/9 innings and K/9 innings have increased this year

Command, command, command. He's got some mechanic issues going on right now and its effecting his command on the fastball (and also the effectiveness of his hook).

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 02:54 AM)
Command, command, command. He's got some mechanic issues going on right now and its effecting his command on the fastball (and also the effectiveness of his hook).

Let me ask you this...how long do you keep him in the rotation if his struggles continue?

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 08:51 PM)
It's kinda crazy how much his HR/9 innings, BB/9 innings and K/9 innings have increased this year

This happens on scrap heap pickups sometimes. Since his kid has been born he has been horrid!

Edited by Soxfest

Humber doesn't deserved to be pulled right now. Hell, he was a better pitch call away from a possible quality start today. His struggles were REALLY bad about 5-6 starts ago, but he's been getting by since. I see no reason that he'll be unable to find that command again.

Unless KW's got some "hidden money" and is going to add another starting pitcher and not a 3B, then you give Humber maybe 1-2 more starts.

It all depends on how Quintana looks, Danks returning successfully to the rotation and/or how much confidence they have in Axelrod/Castro to pitch better than Phil. It's been a downward trend (with a few exceptions) ever since the All-Star break last season.

‘‘But No. 2, it is what it is,’’ he said of the Sox’ financial constraints. ‘‘Times being what they are, I can’t even have a conversation [about possible costly trades]. There’s no crying about it. Some want to posture about it that way, but all I’ve ever done is answer the question. I’ve never wanted to mislead our fans.’’suntimes.com/sports

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 06:54 PM)
Let me ask you this...how long do you keep him in the rotation if his struggles continue?

Well, when I look back, he's had a few good games as of late. Also, the stuff is there. If I didn't see the stuff, I'd be more concerned and would think about giving him a quicker hook. Additionally, he can throw innings. I don't think Axelrod is better and Quintana is still very raw so not sure about him. Definitely no one else in the minors I'm going to have start over him (other then potentially Quintana at this point). You also have Danks coming back, so I really don't see any reason to contemplate pulling him from the rotation.

If he gets absolutely torched for a few more starts, maybe, but I don't think that will be the case. And say what you want about the game against Tampa, he went 7 innings, gave up 2 runs, and just 5 hits (and was good). He was also quite good against the Royals and Cubs. I realize they both stink offensively, but again, very few hits, decent strikeout numbers (and quality starts).

4 of his last 6 starts (entering today) were quality starts. He has had 2 really bad games, and 2 bad games, which have heavily impacted his ERA.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 01:58 AM)
Humber doesn't deserved to be pulled right now. Hell, he was a better pitch call away from a possible quality start today. His struggles were REALLY bad about 5-6 starts ago, but he's been getting by since. I see no reason that he'll be unable to find that command again.

The pitch call was bad on Cooper's homer, but he had no one to blame but himself tonight

QUOTE (fathom @ Jun 5, 2012 -> 07:00 PM)
The pitch call was bad on Cooper's homer, but he had no one to blame but himself tonight

No argument from me on that. He was bad from get go. You could tell he couldn't find his rhythm or really repeat his deliver. It happens.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 6, 2012 -> 03:01 AM)
No argument from me on that. He was bad from get go. You could tell he couldn't find his rhythm or really repeat his deliver. It happens.

This was just one of those games where you flat out get beat. Happens, especially with your #5 against their ace (and with your best hitter out of the lineup).

10 HR for A.J. now. He's going to hit like 25 at this rate. That'd be quite the "rebirth" season for him at 30 something.

ZiPS projects 8 HR the rest of the way, so they have him at 18. It'd be a career high I think (or tied for it at least).

Edited by chw42