Doyle released to go to Japan

southsider2k5

Bummer, he was absolutely tearing it up in AAA, thought he could be a good #5/decent #4 in the near future.

Anyone know where I can follow his stats in Japan??

Based on his numbers this year i dont think this will be the last we see of Terry Doyle in America.

Edited by 2nd_city_saint787

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 01:32 PM)
At least a 600%-700% raise according to his father. That's why you go.

The game is pretty much the same, except there's a rule prohibiting tie games

from going more than 3 extra innings, which means the game ends in a tie. First,

there are the pre-game workouts and warm-ups, lasting hours. Then there's all

the cigarette smoke - Japanese players light up a lot. Also, there's the fact that

when the club is on the road everyone has to dress for the game at the hotel

because there are no visiting locker rooms.

The media never tired of asking the third baseman if he'd like to marry a

Japanese woman. When (Lou) Merloni answered questions, he often felt his translator

was editing his comments along with reporters' queries.

Along with the possibility of being an everyday player, there's the bump in

salary a player who's been in the states realizes. Usually they're making six to

10 times what they made in the US! That's quite a payday. After Japan, Merloni

came back to the Red Sox and played for them and the AAA team for the next

three seasons before going to various other major league clubs. He seemed like

he might have found a starting role with San Diego part way through the 2003

season, but after 65 games, they dealt him back to the BoSox.

Gabe Kapler was offered a similar opportunity in 2005, and like Merloni, he

took it. With a contract valued at approximately $2 million, the utility outfielder

was excited about getting to play every day and experience an entirely different

culture. But after being a part of Boston's first World Series winning team in 86

years, Japanese ball seemed to lack the spark of the game played in his

homeland.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/192531

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jun 13, 2012 -> 06:18 PM)
After leaving him to be picked up now in rule 5 and letting him go to Japan, Sox for whatever reason just wanted him gone.

Right. Which is why they bought him back from the Twins, because they just wanted nothing to do with the guy

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 08:53 PM)
Who moves up from Birm?

I would pick Castro, but not sure they're ready yet to move him.

They might fill the AAA rotation spot with a journeyman/waiver claim/filler/spot starter until they're ready to move Castro.

Hernandez might also get a shot when he comes off the DL, one of those two guys.

QUOTE (oldsox @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 07:53 AM)
Who moves up from Birm?

It's about promotion time with the draft refilling the minors. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Castro move up to AAA, and if Hernandez isn't ready to come off of the DL in AA, maybe a Jon Bachanov or Matthew Heidenreich move up from WS. You've got a guy like Blair Walters who has been begging for a promotion to WS from Kanny all year.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2012 -> 09:01 AM)
It's about promotion time with the draft refilling the minors. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Castro move up to AAA, and if Hernandez isn't ready to come off of the DL in AA, maybe a Jon Bachanov or Matthew Heidenreich move up from WS. You've got a guy like Blair Walters who has been begging for a promotion to WS from Kanny all year.

What's Charlotte's rotation like right now? With Danks there they have to have an extra person currently right? If Danks gets swapped with Stewart soon, same difference, since Quintana was called up from AA, Charlotte has gained 1 starter and lost 1 starter since the opening of the year.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jun 15, 2012 -> 06:29 AM)
How many roster spots do minor league teams have anyway?

AAA - 25

AA - 25

High A - 25

Low A - 25

Rookie - 35

Charlotte's at 23 active and W-S is at 24 active.

Wow, Doyle got a nice paycheck

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20120617/SPORTS/706179952

Kevin Gray's On Baseball: Salem's Doyle is in Japan after getting surprise offer

ShareThis

By KEVIN GRAY

New Hampshire Union Leader

Minnesota Twins starting pitcher Terry Doyle pitches in the first inning of a March 4 game against the Tampa Bay Rays at Charlotte Sports Park. (Andrew Weber-US PRESSWIRE)

In a matter of days, Terry Doyle nearly pitched a no-hitter and signed a big-money contract to play in Japan.

It's been a wild season for the Salem High graduate, who pitched for the Twins and White Sox at spring training and has spent the past three months proving himself — again — in the minors.

The 26-year-old Doyle won five straight outings for the Triple-A Charlotte Knights, leading to a surprise phone call from his agent last week. The defending champion Fukuoka SoftBank Hawks, who play in the country's top league, were willing to pay Doyle more than 10 times what he's been earning in the minors.

He made the logical choice.

Doyle, a Boston College graduate, signed a three-year deal that includes guaranteed money for the rest of the 2012 season. He said Fukuoka will pay more than the major-league minimum salary ($480,000) for up to three years. The club owns a team option for 2013. Both parties agreed to a flexible clause for 2014 that would enable Doyle to return home and pursue a dream of pitching in the majors.

“It was a big surprise to have this opportunity. When I thought about it, financially, it was a huge improvement on what I'm making in the minors. I took a long look at the White Sox depth chart they have in the minors, and I was probably the third or fourth option to get called up (to the majors),” he said. “Instead of sitting around here in Triple-A, I ended up going home and packing my bags and having a going away party with my friends and family.”

Doyle won his final five starts for the Charlotte Knights and went 6-3 overall with a 2.83 ERA in the International League. When the White Sox granted Doyle's release on Wednesday, the big righty still had little idea where he was going or what to expect in Japan.

“I figure I've got 16 hours on the plane to learn about where I'm going,” said Doyle, who left Thursday. “One of my teammates was telling me that baseball is so big over there. He said it's the movie “Mr. Baseball” is pretty accurate.”

Doyle will join a SoftBank Hawks team that includes former Red Sox reliever Hideki Okajima and outfielder Wily Mo Pena. Fukuoka, of the Pacific League, won the Japan Series last year.

A 2008 draft pick of the White Sox, Doyle spent four seasons in the minors, posting a 31-24 record and 2.97 ERA. Last winter, he was acquired by Minnesota in the Rule 5 Draft. He pitched for the Twins during spring training and was later returned to the White Sox in March.

Asked about the sudden career change, Doyle said, “Same field. I'm just getting transferred to another continent.”