2012-2013 Official NHL thread

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 30, 2013 -> 08:47 AM)
Not a hockey fan but that was fun to watch. I never realized how fast paced and intense hockey is. I could barely follow anything!

I'm the same way. I was a bandwagon fan in 2010 but started to watch games more regularly since then. With the fast start this year I got even more into the team, watching probably half of the games this year, and i've picked up a ton. I still don't understand everything going on or proper strategies, etc, but I'm really coming around to hockey more than any other sport because of the intensity and the "OMG I HAVE TO WATCH EVERY SECOND BECAUSE SOMETHING BIG MIGHT HAPPEN." NBA is great but quite frankly you can just watch the 4th and see 99% of the important stuff. NFL and MLB games can be incredibly boring. In hockey you have to watch constantly because so much is going on and something can happen in an instant. It's great.

Even my wife last night, who basically just puts up with me watching the games as she plays on her Kindle, was enthralled by last nights game, especially in the third and OT. So much on the line, so much action, so much flying around the ice. I have a major hangover this morning but it was totally worth it.

(having said all this, it obviously helps to have a team that has stars, that has high expectations, and that has good rivalries. If I lived in Minnesota there's a zero percent chance I ever watch a hockey game)

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you lived in Minnesota you would have been pulled from the womb with two hockey sticks, had your umbilical cord cut with a skate, gotten 2 minutes for crying after getting spanked, and been in pads by the time you left the NICU.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
For everyone who is worried about Jonathan Quick, I don't really see him playing any better than Jimmy Howard did in the 2nd round. The man only allowed 16 goals on 238 shots for the series (just under 94%).

He easily could, and has so far. Quick's been the best goalie in the playoffs. Howard was good, Quick's been ridiculous. Who knows if he keeps it up, but Howard's not on the same level as Quick this playoffs. Quick has had way more "holy f***" saves in the playoffs so far. I think he's at 1.50 GAA so far with like a 95% SVPCT.

I legitimately thought I was going to have a heart attack last night, what a great series.

And the chirping from Detroit fans on FB is hilarious. When they went up 3-1 it was all about their hockey team and how we are overrated, now its hey the Tigers are soooo good and the Sox suck. LOL, most of them moved to Chicago after college anyway.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:15 AM)
He easily could, and has so far. Quick's been the best goalie in the playoffs. Howard was good, Quick's been ridiculous. Who knows if he keeps it up, but Howard's not on the same level as Quick this playoffs. Quick has had way more "holy f***" saves in the playoffs so far. I think he's at 1.50 GAA so far with like a 95% SVPCT.

True - I just meant in the grand scheme of things 95 and 94 percent aren't that far off - but it is true that Quick has actually been better this playoffs than he was last year when he won the Conn Smythe.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:57 AM)
True - I just meant in the grand scheme of things 95 and 94 percent aren't that far off - but it is true that Quick has actually been better this playoffs than he was last year when he won the Conn Smythe.

But does that mean he's HAD to be better? Because if it does, the 'hawks may just break through. The Kings are hurting...the 'hawks are faster. I'm hoping we can get through this in 6. I have a feeling the 'hawks might get through this round quicker. Don't know why...just think the Kings are worn out.

As someone with two math degrees, I can tell you that they are 1 percent off.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ May 30, 2013 -> 11:17 AM)
As someone with two math degrees, I can tell you that they are 1 percent off.

dammit, you are so much better at math than me. I was about to take off my shoes so I could count all of my digits

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ May 30, 2013 -> 11:20 AM)
dammit, you are so much better at math than me. I was about to take off my shoes so I could count all of my digits

I have no biology degrees and I can tell you that you should see a doctor about that

I'm glad that the Blackhawks won, but can you imagine the firestorm today if someone would of gotten hurt in the extra few minutes that they had to play. If they would of had to go into the next series with say Toews, Kane, Hossa etc. out the referee would come under more fire then he is now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ May 30, 2013 -> 10:52 AM)
I legitimately thought I was going to have a heart attack last night, what a great series.

And the chirping from Detroit fans on FB is hilarious. When they went up 3-1 it was all about their hockey team and how we are overrated, now its hey the Tigers are soooo good and the Sox suck. LOL, most of them moved to Chicago after college anyway.

Those Michigan f***ers really love to grasp to anything. Just remind them that the SOX were the last AL Central team to win a WS and they can shut the f*** up until they actually win a game in the WS. ;-)

Oh yeah and tell Mr. Triple Crown to take the bat off his shoulder.

QUOTE (pettie4sox @ May 30, 2013 -> 12:59 PM)
Those Michigan f***ers really love to grasp to anything. Just remind them that the SOX were the last only AL Central team to win a WS and they can shut the f*** up until they actually win a game in the WS. ;-)

Oh yeah and tell Mr. Triple Crown to take the bat off his shoulder.

Fixed-ed. The Twins were in the the West in 1991.

Edited by witesoxfan

Living in Toledo and in the heart of Detroit sports fandom, coming back from 3-1 and winning the series was awesome.

Dealing with the locals was annoying, but the Wings are out and the band wagoners won't care about the Wings anymore until next April.

Edited by whitesox901

Anyone think the addition of Kompon is going to help figure out the Kings and Quick? I mean, he was with them for a few years...6 or 7 I believe. Does that give the 'hawks any inside info?