2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he needs dictionary? Because unlikely does not equal no?

Or is he just taking information and then using his opinion based on past/other information?

Hmmm now Im starting to wonder whether any journalist actually just reports facts, or if they all mix in opinion.

Interesting.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:14 PM)
Maybe he needs dictionary? Because unlikely does not equal no?

Or is he just taking information and then using his opinion based on past/other information?

Hmmm now Im starting to wonder whether any journalist actually just reports facts, or if they all mix in opinion.

Interesting.

He said in Thibs' speak, unlikely means he's not going to play. I would imagine covering him for several years and getting injury reports almost every day, he's basing his conclusion on the past. But even if it's 1 in a million, Lloyd Christmas would say there's a chance.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:12 PM)
KC Johnson posted hours ago that Thibs said "unlikely". He also said that means he's out.

KC Johnson posting that the ever-evasive Thibs said "unlikely" means anything is a perfect example of journalists with unethical tactics these days.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
He said in Thibs' speak, unlikely means he's not going to play. I would imagine covering him for several years and getting injury reports almost every day, he's basing his conclusion on the past. But even if it's 1 in a million, Lloyd Christmas would say there's a chance.

so-youre-telling-me-theres-a-chance.jpg

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:17 PM)
KC Johnson posting that the ever-evasive Thibs said "unlikely" means anything is a perfect example of journalists with unethical tactics these days.

I would imagine KC can't remember a time when Thibs said unlikely and the guy actually played.

QUOTE (Felix @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:53 PM)
Anyone who gives two s***s about journalism?

EDIT: I've said all I can say, and at this point Badger is just arguing stupid points solely for the purpose of arguing (lawyer, etc.). Have fun, gents.

Since when are blogs journalists? My dog could start a blog.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Since when are blogs journalists? My dog could start a blog.

Since the demise of the newspaper business, many former professional journalists are now bloggers.

I guess the real question is why make it up? If it's just for the hits, I suppose that's a legit reason, but I would suspect those people won't be hitting that anymore.

Youd have to ask Steve.

Regardless of the reasoning, the way it spread was pretty fascinating. Basically once it hit a certain amount of people on facebook, it just kept snowballing because it seems random people just keep spreading it.

Its almost like a virus.

Edited by Soxbadger

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
I guess the real question is why make it up?

Again, that was an assumption made by Felix because he's generally a cur. It was pretty damn good information, and, again, Rose has yet to be announced as out.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:38 PM)
Youd have to ask Steve.

Regardless of the reasoning, the way it spread was pretty fascinating. Basically once it hit a certain amount of people on facebook, it just kept snowballing because it seems random people just keep spreading it.

Its almost like a virus.

That's how things go 'viral'

Make a bold f***ing statement it's gonna spread. There isn't or wasn't any credibility to this report, ever.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 01:01 PM)
I'm not going to say the direct connection, but a friend of mine has an uncle who is a big deal and has his own box who was told to make sure he was there on Monday. I ran with it.

Still not proven wrong, btw.

Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:42 PM)
That's how things go 'viral'

Make a bold f***ing statement it's gonna spread. There isn't or wasn't any credibility to this report, ever.

Ive never been able to see it first hand though.

With this I was able to watch the analytics as it went from basically no one, to I think about 25k hits in 3 days?

People may dislike it, but this unfortunately shows that bad exciting information is better than true bland information.

Why would a media company not bend the truth if the results are this insane?

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Save Derrick!

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Since the demise of the newspaper business, many former professional journalists are now bloggers.

I guess the real question is why make it up? If it's just for the hits, I suppose that's a legit reason, but I would suspect those people won't be hitting that anymore.

He said he had a source. Thats all it takes nowadays. Online "journalism" is always sketchy.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 03:08 PM)
It just speaks to the sad state of reporting in 2013, and what it actually means to be a media member or journalist.

It's clear by Steve's posts that he was fully aware of his intent, to add some buzz and viewership in an attempt to separate himself from the million other struggling online sports blogs that currently fill the space. While the hits and clicks are there today, when Rose sits tonight, and probably the rest of the season, his site will be added back into the list of obscurity where it probably belongs based on Steve's intent to post inaccurate news based on a semblance of a source.

You would like to think there are people out there that actually want to strive for something more, do their homework and report on facts, but that actually requires work.

Badger now knows my source. And if Rose plays tonight, it'll be a big deal.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
When you want to become an actual source, or a place for information, "A roll of the dice" isn't a great place to start.

Until then, enjoy obscurity.

The site's up for fun. I have a career. If this is the biggest weekend for "Flapship" ever (likely), it's no sweat off anyone's sack.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 03:01 PM)
Just an fyi, f***faces :P the Score has been saying all day in their updates that Rose is out, and the latest update now says there's a "chance he'll play" tonight.

Apparently the Score's update guy reads Flapship too.

Tony,

If nothing comes off this, if Steve is completely wrong, it happens. People are acting like we do this every week. The blog has been up almost 6 months. There has never been another rumor like this posted, if you read every other post it is reporting facts/stating opinion.

So Steve one time got something. Being Steve he wrote it in the most positive way (expect for the best, hope for the best). Im the opposite, I would have written it in the most negative way (expect for the worst, hope for the best.)

Now the person could be lying, they could be telling Steve a tall tale knowing that Steve is a huge Rose fan and cant wait another second for him to come back.

The origin source is pretty legitimate, but once again, unless you can actually speak with Rose, its just tea leaves.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 03:13 PM)
When you want to become an actual source, or a place for information, "A roll of the dice" isn't a great place to start.

Until then, enjoy obscurity.

I dont want to be a source.

Im a lawyer, I ethically can not reveal any information that I get. Im not about to ruin my real career that pays for the blog, by giving away "inside information" on a blog.

The website is for fun, Steve happened upon something. He went with it.

If one day this website starts making more money than my real job, then Ill start worrying about rolls of the dice, and whether or not Im considered a legitimate source of sports information.