2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Major injury, but it's very common these days.

Rubio has been dominating lately, Shumpert seems as quick as he was before.

Assuming Rose regains just 90% of his athleticism, with natural progression, improved basketball IQ and jumpshot, will be a top 3-5 player in the league, it's not out of reach.

I love the analysis.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 10:17 AM)
I love the analysis.

Green font?

Your original comparison of Rose at 110% to Lebron is unfair.

Rose at 22 was a debatable MVP. Rose at 25*110% (assuming you mean he's healthy as well) is a bonafide MVP and 3rd best player in the league.

Like I said, there is a glass ceiling for small players in the league.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Major injury, but it's very common these days.

Rubio has been dominating lately, Shumpert seems as quick as he was before.

Assuming Rose regains just 90% of his athleticism, with natural progression, improved basketball IQ and jumpshot, will be a top 3-5 player in the league, it's not out of reach.

According to Stacey King, Rose is dominating practice and is very explosive. He'll be fine, once Reggie gives him the OK to suit up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 04:28 PM)
According to Stacey King, Rose is dominating practice and is very explosive. He'll be fine, once Reggie gives him the OK to suit up.

And obviously Stacey King is never hyperbolic and always reliable source of info.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
Getting calls incorrect because you didn't want to review it is a worse way to promote your product. Again, few minutes at that point. Oh well. Sometimes game circumstances call for reviews.

If you want to limit basketball timeouts fine, but that's different than making what I would think are mandatory reviews. But I doubt anyone was tuning out of those games just because of stoppages, because it's only adding on minutes to an already 2-3 hour commitment.

They still managed to blow that call, and not review another call before it... getting that wrong as well. So they are still blowing calls, meaning that didn't actually help at all.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 10:54 AM)
They still managed to blow that call, and not review another call before it... getting that wrong as well. So they are still blowing calls, meaning that didn't actually help at all.

They blew not reviewing/making the original call on Denver's basket. But from the way I understand the rule, and looking at when Noah touched it - the ball was easily in the cylinder - it was the right call.

Either way I'd still rather have reviews than whatever happens, happens. Imagine the NFL right now without reviews. Yikes.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Either way I'd still rather have reviews than whatever happens, happens. Imagine the NFL right now without reviews. Yikes.

I remember the NFL before reviews; it was maddening.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:48 AM)
Considering he's actually seen him in practice and really doesn't get any extra points for lying, I would consider him a reliable source.

Well, his brand is all about being positive, catch-phrases, and adoring the Bulls.

http://www.fansedge.com/Chicago-Bulls-Stac...4578449_PG.html

It's in his best interest to make fans excited and happy.

They blew not reviewing/making the original call on Denver's basket. But from the way I understand the rule, and looking at when Noah touched it - the ball was easily in the cylinder - it was the right call.

The problem is that rule is a bunch of crap. Blake Griffin and Lebron and a million other guys get a ton of alley oops right near the rim and they never get called for it. Had Noah grabbed that ball and dunked it, they would have won the game. The other problem is that they initially called it a basket, meaning they shouldn't have reviewed it. It should have been a non-reviewable call, bucket good, Bulls win.

Really though the Bulls have themselves to blame and they were lucky to get to OT. Their defense last night (and for several weeks now) has been turrible.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
Would anyone expect impartiality out of Dickie V. if he was talking about what he saw in Duke practices?

What do you mean babby?

We are talking about Duke baby?

They got the slash, the dash, they got the grind and wind. Its insanity baby.

He literally just says nonsense.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:57 AM)
What do you mean babby?

We are talking about Duke baby?

They got the slash, the dash, they got the grind and wind. Its insanity baby.

He literally just says nonsense.

TRIFECTER BAAAAABBBBYYY

THIS KID ZELLER FROM INDIANA IS A SUPER SCINTILATING SCIENTIFIC SENSATIONAL SEXTERRIFIC SOPHOMORE WHO SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SUNNYSIDE SCHOOL IN SUPERSOAKINGSUN, SOUTH SAROLINA!

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
The problem is that rule is a bunch of crap. Blake Griffin and Lebron and a million other guys get a ton of alley oops right near the rim and they never get called for it. Had Noah grabbed that ball and dunked it, they would have won the game. The other problem is that they initially called it a basket, meaning they shouldn't have reviewed it. It should have been a non-reviewable call, bucket good, Bulls win.

Really though the Bulls have themselves to blame and they were lucky to get to OT. Their defense last night (and for several weeks now) has been turrible.

Isn't it a judgement call on whether or not it's a "shot" and if it has a chance to go in?

And they can't review it if it's good, but they can review it if they wave it off? Weird.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)
Well, his brand is all about being positive, catch-phrases, and adoring the Bulls.

http://www.fansedge.com/Chicago-Bulls-Stac...4578449_PG.html

It's in his best interest to make fans excited and happy.

And then DRose comes back limping and Stacey looks like a fool.

This wasn't during a game he mentioned it. It was at the Berto Center talking to a CSN guy not throwing out all his catch phrases (which I do get a kick out of). He was just reporting, saying he's looking really good. In fact, he was totally subdued.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 11:53 AM)

I agree. A ton of alley oops are technically goaltending. If that were a pass and not a shot Noah tipped in, it wouldn't have been reviewed, and Denver probably wouldn't have even complained. But technically, it was the correct call IMO. They should just wipe out offensive basket interference.

Edited by Dick Allen

I didn't see it was in the cylinder. It was close, but out when Noah starts to get his hand/finger on it. Once he makes a touch, he can carry the ball into the cylinder, which is what happened. The refs blew it.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 01:08 PM)
I didn't see it was in the cylinder. It was close, but out when Noah starts to get his hand/finger on it. Once he makes a touch, he can carry the ball into the cylinder, which is what happened. The refs blew it.

When his hand hits the ball, some of the ball is definitely over the rim and over the opening itself.

That was clearly goal tending.

However, I think there is a legitimate argument that the refs 1) blew another goaltending earlier in OT and 2) refs did not call goaltending on the floor, and should not have reviewed it.

If 1) was correctly called, hopefully we win by 1 but you never know. If 2) happened correctly, we are just hoping to win on B.S. ourselves.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
When his hand hits the ball, some of the ball is definitely over the rim and over the opening itself.

There's no question it would have hit the side of the rim but I don't think it had any chance of actually going in. I know by the letter of the rule that's still interference, but it's a dumb rule. If the ball had bounced off the rim, was still on "top" of the rim and moving outward, they allow guys to dunk those balls or tip them in all the time.

But having watched the NBA for decades now, we all know the NBA could give a s*** about the rules until it suits them. Just about everyone travels but so long as the dunk/lay-up is made at the end they don't care.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:18 PM)
There's no question it would have hit the side of the rim but I don't think it had any chance of actually going in. I know by the letter of the rule that's still interference, but it's a dumb rule. If the ball had bounced off the rim, was still on "top" of the rim and moving outward, they allow guys to dunk those balls or tip them in all the time.

But having watched the NBA for decades now, we all know the NBA could give a s*** about the rules until it suits them. Just about everyone travels but so long as the dunk/lay-up is made at the end they don't care.

TBH, I'm not sure I would like it changed. I very rarely see that play, and I'm fine with that.