2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 10:05 PM)
I have to say I thought they made the correct call on the goaltend.it looked to me like he touched it in the cylinder.

If they are going to review and reverse that call, then the Koufos tip in where he pushed it in when the ball was on the cylinder less than 30 seconds earlier should have been reviewed as well.

That was the most aggravating part, the nuggets got the benefit of no review on what should have been the same call, and the Nuggets took the lead.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 12:42 AM)
The LeBron dunk over Jason Terry last night was just dirty. 6 weeks ago Durant was my MVP. f*** that. 23 game winning streak and his overall brilliance, LeBron's 4th MVP in 5 years is all but assured.

Anyone with a pulse came to the conclusion that LeBron = MVP about a month and a half ago.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Anyone with a pulse came to the conclusion that LeBron = MVP about a month and a half ago.

Just like with Jordan played, LeBron is the MVP every year. People just try to make a case for someone else every year, but most know who the real MVP is, if LeBron somehow wouldn't get it.

There are several HOFers playing today. But there is no one more valuable than LeBron. Personally, I don't think there is anyone near him.

The Bulls, with a similar (but I acknowledge, a worse) roster, are 14 games worse this year at the 66 game point because they don't have Rose. Miami is 6 games better with a better and deeper roster while having had another year to fine tune their game.

There's no one better nor more talented overall than LeBron, but you can absolutely make an argument that there is someone more valuable.

The most remarkable thing about LeBron is that he doesn't get hurt. If he got hurt, it'd be a new ballgame. Has LeBron ever missed significant time for an injury? He's hardly even had any of those nagging "it might be affecting him" injuries like Wade has for seasons at a time. His run of good health is a big part of his value that most people don't think about.

A good question to ask would be: which team is hurt more by losing their best player - Bulls or Heat? The Heat have improved their bench/supporting cast a fair bit by this year, but it is worth wondering. The Bulls are in 6th place right now, which is probably not as good as the Heat would do. Then again, the Bulls have had for more injuries to deal with than just Derrick. We looked like a 2-3 seed at one point this year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)
The Bulls, with a similar (but I acknowledge, a worse) roster, are 14 games worse this year at the 66 game point because they don't have Rose. Miami is 6 games better with a better and deeper roster while having had another year to fine tune their game.

There's no one better nor more talented overall than LeBron, but you can absolutely make an argument that there is someone more valuable.

Rose only played 39 games last year in the regular season - he missed almost half the season. The team is dog-tired and the bench mob blows.

The Heat have 3 of the best players in the NBA. If they lose 1, they still have 2 of the best players in the NBA.

The Bulls have lost one of the best players in the NBA. They are left with 2 very good players in Noah and Deng, and a lot of valuable pieces, but no one is going to say they are among the best teams in the NBA.

Even if the Heat lost LeBron, that's still probably a 50 win team at the very least.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:09 AM)
Rose only played 39 games last year in the regular season - he missed almost half the season. The team is dog-tired and the bench mob blows.

They were 32-7 in games Derrick Rose played, which means they were 18-9 in games he did not. That 32-7 is a 67 win pace over 82 games.

Before Derrick Rose went down in game 1, people were talking about the Bulls as a legitimate contender, if not favorite, for the NBA Championship. After he went down, they lost 4 out of 5 to the 8 seed (though some of that is going to be emotional let down).

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 06:37 AM)
There were three different games going on last night during the stretch. I was going between the Hawks/Bulls/Heat. There were literally stretches where it was play for a few seconds, then a stoppage of a few minutes. Commercials and endless replays is a terrible way to promote your product. The NHL gets it right with one timeout and very limited reviews. The game flow is so much better. It is a crime when you have two marque games, both with multiple overlapping stretches with no action going on in crunch time.

Getting calls incorrect because you didn't want to review it is a worse way to promote your product. Again, few minutes at that point. Oh well. Sometimes game circumstances call for reviews.

If you want to limit basketball timeouts fine, but that's different than making what I would think are mandatory reviews. But I doubt anyone was tuning out of those games just because of stoppages, because it's only adding on minutes to an already 2-3 hour commitment.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Mar 18, 2013 -> 03:49 PM)
Some of you people need to get off your high horse. People far more reputable than Steve were posting complete bulls*** during the Lebron saga.

Isn't throwing bulls*** against the wall sort of the norm in the twitter era?

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:00 AM)

What if Rose was on Miami and healthy and LeBron was on the Bulls? I love DRose. But even when healthy, he isn't nearly as valuable as LeBron.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)
They were 32-7 in games Derrick Rose played, which means they were 18-9 in games he did not. That 32-7 is a 67 win pace over 82 games.

Before Derrick Rose went down in game 1, people were talking about the Bulls as a legitimate contender, if not favorite, for the NBA Championship. After he went down, they lost 4 out of 5 to the 8 seed (though some of that is going to be emotional let down).

You tell us these things as if they are not well known. Of course Rose was an insane talent before he blew out his ACL and grew a vagina. I love him to death. However, Rose at 110% couldn't sniff what LBJ is doing right now.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:15 AM)

And Noah also got hurt. Plus their bench was stronger last year than this and because of the condensed schedule, that had even more of an impact than normal.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:19 AM)
What if Rose was on Miami and healthy and LeBron was on the Bulls? I love DRose. But even when healthy, he isn't nearly as valuable as LeBron.

I honestly think Miami would have a similar record, but it's impossible to know simply because you then have no idea who Rose has a small forward nor who LeBron has at "point guard."

LeBron in Cleveland is really not that much different than Rose in Chicago.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)
I honestly think Miami would have a similar record, but it's impossible to know simply because you then have no idea who Rose has a small forward nor who LeBron has at "point guard."

LeBron will have Nate Robinson and like it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:27 AM)

Except for the fact that either Noah or Deng would rape face on anyone else that was on that horrific Cleveland team. The Bulls without Rose this year are a 5-6 seed. The Cavs in those years that LeBron was taking them deep into the playoffs and to the Finals would have been a lottery team. Here's the roster that LBJ took to the Finals.

Zydranas Ilgauskas

Anderson Varejao

Drew Gooden

Larry Hughes (wow, he played in the finals. f*** that guy)

Donyell Marshall

Sasha Pavlovic

Eric Snow

Damon Jones

Boobie Gibson

Ira Newble

David Wesley

Scot Pollard

Shannon Brown

Dwayne Jones

That's like a 15 win team at best, and LeBron had them in the Finals. He continued to take similar f***ing awful rosters deep into the playoffs before rightfully getting the f*** outta dodge.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:22 AM)
You tell us these things as if they are not well known. Of course Rose was an insane talent before he blew out his ACL and grew a vagina. I love him to death. However, Rose at 110% couldn't sniff what LBJ is doing right now.

Individually no, but team success-wise, maybe.

But everyone needs to stop comparing Rose to Lebron. They do whatever it takes for their team to win, but they do that very differently.

There is a glass ceiling for small players in the leauge, no doubt. If you make a list of top 10-15 players all time, none of them is under 6'5

This is a slippery slope, but Magic Johnson will not be a top 5 player all time if he isn't 6'9. The point is size matters in this league.

Lebron can take it strong to the rim against any big in the league night in and night out his entire career, because he isn't giving up that much in size, that's what makes him special, and the other parts of his game builds off of it. Rose can do the same, to an extent, but he will shorten his career because a 6'3 player cannot take that beating night in and night out.

Lebron is a once in a lifetime talent, no doubt. But let's not take anything away from Rose here. Next year, he will be a consensus top 3-5 player in the league. That is also a very special talent right there.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
But everyone needs to stop comparing Rose to Lebron. They do whatever it takes for their team to win, but they do that very differently.

Weird. I thought when medically cleared to play that someone who does whatever it takes for their team to win would... play.

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)
Lebron is a once in a lifetime talent, no doubt. But let's not take anything away from Rose here. Next year, he will be a consensus top 3-5 player in the league. That is also a very special talent right there.

I don't know if we can just assume top 3-5 player about Rose coming off that horrific injury. I sure as s*** hope so, though. Hell, I'm praying he plays Thursday.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 02:28 PM)
Wade is probably a top 50 player of all time. The Heat became a totally different team when they went from Wade's team to LeBron's. They are almost unbeatable now. Someone is going to have to beat them 4 times in the playoffs. Good luck with that.

well the heat also weren't very good prior to Lebron b/c wade kept getting injured.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Lebron could have stayed at the cavs and they would've won the title last year. Lebron hit his peak and we are seeing what that looks like - an unstoppable scoring force combined with a top 5 defensive player (and the 2nd most helped by officials)

But also, the Rose hate is f***ing stupid.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 19, 2013 -> 09:56 AM)
I don't know if we can just assume top 3-5 player about Rose coming off that horrific injury. I sure as s*** hope so, though. Hell, I'm praying he plays Thursday.

Major injury, but it's very common these days.

Rubio has been dominating lately, Shumpert seems as quick as he was before.

Assuming Rose regains just 90% of his athleticism, with natural progression, improved basketball IQ and jumpshot, will be a top 3-5 player in the league, it's not out of reach.