2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 12:45 PM)
Um, no. Shooting guard is 3 guys deep, and that includes two injured guys. There's a HUGE drop-off after Harden, Kobe and Wade. Small forward isn't significantly better either. Obviously you have two freaks and Melo, but that's about it for star-caliber players. Paul George is right there, but using your Hibbert logic, he averaged 17 PPG while shooting 41% in his best year so he can't possibly be a difference maker. I think you must have forgotten that power forward is a position as well.

Point guard is loaded and Lebron and Durant are awesome. Big men in general are terrible though and there's a real shortage on wings that can take over a game right now.

Please, I'm not talking just this year. The average wing/guard of the last 5-10 years dwarfs anything you can come up with from '89-'99. And bigs are considerably more skilled (even if they're not overall better) and tougher to match up with than 10-15 years ago.

Edited by Jordan4life

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 02:27 PM)
Please, I'm not talking just this year. The average wing/guard of the last 5-10 years dwarfs anything you can come up with from '89-'99. And bigs are considerably more skilled (even if they're not overall better) and tougher to match up with than 10-15 years ago.

Since when are we talking about 10 year stretches? How does Tracy McGrady have any impact on the league "right now"? 10 years ago is an entirely different group of players at their peak. You don't see Boogua and me mentioning Magic and Bird with that era even though they were both in the league in 90/91. The same goes with Kobe/Allen/AI even though they were all drafted in 96. The late 90's/early 00's are pretty much universally ripped and no one is talking about that group of players. That era had awful PG's, but a solid batch of wings and a few really good big men.

And lol at the bigs being more skilled. Probably 75% of them are useless if they're not in dunking range. Big men used to have actual post moves. Now they run up and down the floor in AAU ball waiting for lob passes and trying to prove they can shoot.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
I really hope the refs let the players decide Game 7 and we don't have a repeat of the infamous Lakers/Kings series

No chance

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:29 AM)
Who the hell is this? Raise your hand and identify yourself when attempting to call me out.

I wondered the same thing - first thought was a previously banned poster given 5 posts and has a beef with you from two seasons ago.

QUOTE (lord chas @ Jun 2, 2013 -> 04:32 PM)
I really hope the refs let the players decide Game 7 and we don't have a repeat of the infamous Lakers/Kings series

I fully expect Hibbert to get in foul trouble early on. No way the NBA wants an Indy/SA Finals.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (buhbuhburrrrlz @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:34 PM)
Ref = Scott Foster lol

Things will escalate quickly and will not recover.

I love how Foster and Crawford have been the main refs in the Heat series. NBA at its finest

You would think Stern/NBA would be more conscious about their legitimacy concerns but they don't give a f***, they know a Heat/Spurs Finals will bring in $ while Indy/SA will be a ratings loser.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:36 PM)
This game will incite rage.

I fully expect a Heat victory by about 20 points. It will start off as a close one, a couple of bad calls will go against the Pacers, Miami will take advantage, and the blow out will be on.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
I fully expect a Heat victory by about 20 points. It will start off as a close one, a couple of bad calls will go against the Pacers, Miami will take advantage, and the blow out will be on.

20 is probably a bit much unless their role players hit a ton of 3's or Wade goes off (not expecting the latter). I'd be surprised if they don't cover though (7 to 7 1/2).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

That's what the NBA wants. Last thing they want is a close game going down to the wire where the ref's calls could be scrutinized. With both Wade and Bosh playing terrible, the role players and the refs will need to step up. LeBron will do his thing but he can't do it alone. The pressure is fully on Miami, not many people thought the Pacers could beat the Heat 4 times.

It would be funny if Bron has a stinker though.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

This is precisely why I don't give much thought to the NBA anymore. The last time I cared at all about the NBA was during the Jordan years, as entertaining as they were (it was a pleasure to root for a team that you knew were going to destroy an opponent before the game even started) the NBA playoffs were always fixed. The NBA made sure that most every series went 7 games, or at most 6, just to stretch out revenue. Most of the teams that the Bulls played had no business taking them that far. The Bulls - Nicks series ticked me off the most. The Nicks had no business winning 1 game against the Bulls, let alone taking a series to 6 or 7 games.

I can garuantee you the Heat will win the series because that's what the NBA wants.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 01:03 PM)
Jason Kidd retired.

He was awful the second half of the year. He's been running on fumes for a few years now, but coming back for the remaining two years on his contract would have been hilarious.

It's pretty amazing how much he accomplished for a guy with marginal scoring ability.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 01:07 PM)
He was awful the second half of the year. He's been running on fumes for a few years now, but coming back for the remaining two years on his contract would have been hilarious.

It's pretty amazing how much he accomplished for a guy with marginal scoring ability.

Not the greatest athlete either but he could see the floor like few before him.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 01:11 PM)
Not the greatest athlete either but he could see the floor like few before him.

Also the best rebounder I've seen at the position and an excellent defender.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jun 3, 2013 -> 01:06 PM)
This is precisely why I don't give much thought to the NBA anymore. The last time I cared at all about the NBA was during the Jordan years, as entertaining as they were (it was a pleasure to root for a team that you knew were going to destroy an opponent before the game even started) the NBA playoffs were always fixed. The NBA made sure that most every series went 7 games, or at most 6, just to stretch out revenue. Most of the teams that the Bulls played had no business taking them that far. The Bulls - Nicks series ticked me off the most. The Nicks had no business winning 1 game against the Bulls, let alone taking a series to 6 or 7 games.

I can garuantee you the Heat will win the series because that's what the NBA wants.

I plan on watching the Bruins/Pens game and flipping over to see what the score is in between stoppages. The NHL gets how to do playoffs better than any other sport.