2012-2013 NBA thread

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:20 PM)
Ya the calls at the end of the game don't bother me at all. Parker being on the bench does.

The refs weren't good but they were fair. There were different stretches where each team got calls tonight and there is no way I give Ginobili that call when he takes like 5 steps and was completely out of control when the contact wasn't egregious.

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:18 PM)
One defensive rebound late in the 4th and they're celebrating a 5th title.

Allen really elevated on that 3. Not easy to hit with that much of a vertical, but that's why he was signed.

LeBron was falling apart and looked desperate during that 8-0 run against them before he finally hit the desperation three.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:22 PM)
Oh, he's most definitely a threat. But he's got to win this series. 4 MVPs at 28? He's every bit as efficient as Jordan was. So you can't use that. It's all about titles.

Not completely, or Bill Russell would be considered the greatest player.

I only saw the last couple minutes of regulation and OT, but I am just disgusted with the officials. And that is the reason I don't like the NBA very much. Obvious travels not called, whacks and hacks only called one way, etc. Again, I only saw the very end, so I'm not sure how it went earlier in the game.

But all that aside if San Antonio just makes their free throws, it's game over.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:22 PM)
Oh, he's most definitely a threat. But he's got to win this series. 4 MVPs at 28? He's every bit as efficient as Jordan was. So you can't use that. It's all about titles.

The problem with you is that you don't use context. LBJ's competition is nowhere as good as Jordan's. Kevin Durant? Dwight Howard? Derrick Rose? MJ was battling prime Bird and Magic for MVPs. Call me when any of Bron's contempararies are anywhere near that level...and don't say Duncan, his best years were half a dozen years ago.

MJ could easily have 2 or 3 more MVPs.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:38 PM)
Thank god I'm not a spurs fan as that game would haunt me for awhile

Only if they lose game 7. But can you imagine being on that team, being so close to a title and blowing it? That team might not get another chance at a title. I feel bad for Duncan because he was an absolute monster tonight and his teammates choked away title #5.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)
Only if they lose game 7. But can you imagine being on that team, being so close to a title and blowing it? That team might not get another chance at a title. I feel bad for Duncan because he was an absolute monster tonight and his teammates choked away title #5.

His coach as well.

Popp is absolutely one of the best coaches of all time but he was horrendous tonight.

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:31 PM)
The problem with you is that you don't use context. LBJ's competition is nowhere as good as Jordan's. Kevin Durant? Dwight Howard? Derrick Rose? MJ was battling prime Bird and Magic for MVPs. Call me when any of Bron's contempararies are anywhere near that level...and don't say Duncan, his best years were half a dozen years ago.

I'm not doin' this s*** tonight. I called out Booga for an obvious bias towards LeBron,. He doesn't want the Heat to lose. He wants LeBron to lose. He never says anything when LeBron is being LeBron. But whenever he has a bad game (no matter how mediocre/bad Wade/Bosh are) or gets beat off the dribble it's lol hahaha LeBron. Tonight was the most obvious case I've seen to date. LeBron took his headband off and turned into the original predator from the 4th quarter on. Not a peep. LeBron turns the ball over and it's lol Lebron choke.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 10:31 PM)

C 5 Robinson, David 7 ft 1 in (2.16 m) 235 lb (107 kg) San Antonio Spurs

C 6 Ewing, Patrick 7 ft 0 in (2.13 m) 240 lb (110 kg) New York Knicks

SF 7 Bird, Larry 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 220 lb (100 kg) Boston Celtics

SF 8 Pippen, Scottie 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 210 lb (95 kg) Chicago Bulls

SG 9 Jordan, Michael 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) 198 lb (90 kg) Chicago Bulls

SG 10 Drexler, Clyde 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 222 lb (101 kg) Portland Trail Blazers

PF 11 Malone, Karl 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 256 lb (116 kg) Utah Jazz

PG 12 Stockton, John 6 ft 1 in (1.85 m) 175 lb (79 kg) Utah Jazz

SF 13 Mullin, Chris 6 ft 7 in (2.01 m) 215 lb (98 kg) Golden State Warriors

PF 14 Barkley, Charles 6 ft 6 in (1.98 m) 250 lb (110 kg) Phoenix Suns

PG 15 Johnson, Magic 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m) 220 lb (100 kg) Los Angeles Lakers

That's not even including the pure athletic ability of guys like Dominique Wilkins or Shawn Kemp, to name just a couple...who would have turned Dwight Howard into mincemeat.

Edited by caulfield12

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 11m

The Heat had 8 2nd-chance points in 44 minutes with Duncan on court. They had 9 2nd-chance points in 9 minutes with Duncan on the bench.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 01:00 AM)
ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo 11m

The Heat had 8 2nd-chance points in 44 minutes with Duncan on court. They had 9 2nd-chance points in 9 minutes with Duncan on the bench.

In other words, if Duncan had played all 53 minutes tonight they would've won. lol. Again, I love the access to advanced info we have today. But some of this stuff is ridiculous.

And to be clear, I'm not laughing at you Jake for posting this. It's just really useless info and irrelevant. Like the one 2k5 posted about no team ever winning a title losing a postseason game by 35 points. Really? So the Celtics won one by losing by 34. But not 35!

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:51 PM)
I'm not doin' this s*** tonight. I called out Booga for an obvious bias towards LeBron,. He doesn't want the Heat to lose. He wants LeBron to lose. He never says anything when LeBron is being LeBron. But whenever he has a bad game (no matter how mediocre/bad Wade/Bosh are) or gets beat off the dribble it's lol hahaha LeBron. Tonight was the most obvious case I've seen to date. LeBron took his headband off and turned into the original predator from the 4th quarter on. Not a peep. LeBron turns the ball over and it's lol Lebron choke.

Well, I'm not Boogua, I don't hate LeBron and I think you know that. I just don't think he is on MJ's level. And don't start with that crap about us MJ fans being protective of his legacy, the stats he put up in the biggest games don't need us to "prop" up. LeBron had been having a meh Finals and in reality, if Leonard hits both FTs or the Spurs could grab a f***ing rebound, the narrative right now would be how LeBron underperformed in 2 of the last 3 Finals and how he choked down the stretch when SA grabbed a 5 point lead in the final minute. That's how close LeBron was to being called a choker all summer long. The Spurs lost this game more than the Heat won it TBH.

Bron should be buying Ray Ray an expensive gift because LeBron's legacy would be taking a massive hit (and rightfully so) right now.

Edited by MexSoxFan#1

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 01:55 AM)
Well, I'm not Boogua, I don't hate LeBron and I think you know that. I just don't think he is on MJ's level. And don't start with that crap about us MJ fans being protective of his legacy, the stats he put up in the biggest games don't need us to "prop" up. LeBron had been having a meh Finals and in reality, if Leonard hits both FTs or the Spurs could grab a f***ing rebound, the narrative right now would be how LeBron underperformed in 2 of the last 3 Finals and how he choked down the stretch when SA grabbed a 5 point lead in the final minute. That's how close LeBron was to being called a choker all summer long. The Spurs lost this game more than the Heat won it TBH.

Bron should be buying Ray Ray an expensive gift because LeBron's legacy would be taking a massive hit (and rightfully so) right now.

And if John Paxson doesn't hit the three in '93 who knows what happens (game 7 would be on the road)? If Rodman doesn't gobble up every rebound in site in games 2 and 6 in 1996 vs the Sonics what happens? If the Jazz don't get screwed out of 5 points in game 6 in '98 (with Pippen being all but done with a bad back and game 7 would be on the road) what happens? The Jordan myth has become bigger than reality, which is pathetic because the reality is already THAT good. Jordan never had a bad game. Jordan never got outplayed. Jordan never had a bad series. It's pretty pathetic now. The pressure LeBron has on him is unprecedented. Is some of it deserved? Yes. Not one, not two, not three, etc, was not the best thing he could've said. But the internet, social media, 24-hour news cycles, 8 billion blogs, etc, etc, dwarfs anything Michael or anybody before him had to go through. If LeBron wins, yeah, he's great, but he had to join two other stars. If LeBron loses, hahahaha, LeBron sucks, no matter what the other two do.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jun 18, 2013 -> 11:39 PM)

I only started watching late in the 3rd, but I barely even noticed Duncan on the floor. He had the monster first half, but only scored 5 points the rest of the way and missed a couple close looks late in the game.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 02:23 AM)
And if John Paxson doesn't hit the three in '93 who knows what happens (game 7 would be on the road)? If Rodman doesn't gobble up every rebound in site in games 2 and 6 in 1996 vs the Sonics what happens? If the Jazz don't get screwed out of 5 points in game 6 in '98 (with Pippen being all but done with a bad back and game 7 would be on the road) what happens? The Jordan myth has become bigger than reality, which is pathetic because the reality is already THAT good. Jordan never had a bad game. Jordan never got outplayed. Jordan never had a bad series. It's pretty pathetic now. The pressure LeBron has on him is unprecedented. Is some of it deserved? Yes. Not one, not two, not three, etc, was not the best thing he could've said. But the internet, social media, 24-hour news cycles, 8 billion blogs, etc, etc, dwarfs anything Michael or anybody before him had to go through. If LeBron wins, yeah, he's great, but he had to join two other stars. If LeBron loses, hahahaha, LeBron sucks, no matter what the other two do.

It's all deserved and, fact of the matter is, he did have to join two stars. You can argue that he was merely leaving for a more competent organization, but everyone and their mom wants to sign with the Heat now for a mid-level or the vet min just to try and win a title, so they always have depth and talent on the roster now.

He played great in the 4th quarter last night, but it wasn't LeBron who won that game so much as it was the Spurs who lost it. They're the primary reason we're having a game on Thursday.

There's a lot of HEAT HATE around here, but man, that game was an all-timer.

That said - Heat fans of course left early, we all noticed it on the Manu free throws. Here's a wonderful compilation by Deadspin, including some great tweets from an area reporter just disgusted with the Heat "faithful".

Enjoy.

http://deadspin.com/hundreds-of-heat-fans-...-laug-514254371

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:18 AM)
There's a lot of HEAT HATE around here, but man, that game was an all-timer.

That said - Heat fans of course left early, we all noticed it on the Manu free throws. Here's a wonderful compilation by Deadspin, including some great tweets from an area reporter just disgusted with the Heat "faithful".

Enjoy.

http://deadspin.com/hundreds-of-heat-fans-...-laug-514254371

I can admit a great game when I see one, but you're lying to yourself if you say that Miami deserved it. They choked too, the Spurs just choked worse.

LeBron losing his headband is going to be talked about forever too, which is STUPID. My buddy texted me about it and I responded with "That's because he's heroic. Jordan scored a million points with food poisoning, Kirk Gibson homered on one leg, and LeBron took over in the 4th quarter without his headband."

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)
I can admit a great game when I see one, but you're lying to yourself if you say that Miami deserved it. They choked too, the Spurs just choked worse.

LeBron losing his headband is going to be talked about forever too, which is STUPID. My buddy texted me about it and I responded with "That's because he's heroic. Jordan scored a million points with food poisoning, Kirk Gibson homered on one leg, and LeBron took over in the 4th quarter without his headband."

To the first point - how do they not deserve it? They won the game. Ray Allen nailed a stupid-good shot to send it to OT. The Spurs choked/the Heat choked/the Spurs choked. In the end, the Heat won it.

For the second part, LeBron losing his headband is already forgotten about - it was just funny. No one anywhere is going to compare this to the flu game or Kirk Gibson on one leg.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jun 19, 2013 -> 08:22 AM)

Of course LeBron taking the headband off didn't really mean anything. One, he just looks strange without it (lol@that hairline). Two, you could see a guy that was just desperate and said f*** it. Totally unlike '11 when he looked like he pretty much gave up.

I shouldn't say they don't "deserve" it, but that Spurs choke is monumental. The Heat still have to hit those two 3's, but the Spurs had that game in the bag twice and still lost.

I really don't see any way they can come come back from that