2012-2013 NBA thread

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 06:38 PM)
He makes under a mill. But reports indicate the Wolves are looking to shed salary by trading guaranteed contracts and taking on unguaranteed contracts. Not seeing how it makes sense to trade Budinger for Korver in that case...

If the Wolves are looking to shed salary, the bulls are not a trading partner. period.

Noah looks like a steal contract after this offseason.

Also, I'd take Ellington and a second for Korver. I'd rather have Korver, but I really like Ellington out of college. Maybe going from the environment of the TWolves to the Bulls could help him.

Also, I miss being able to like Jesus Shuttlesworth. Ray was one of my favorite non-Bulls.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 01:16 PM)
Can someone explain to me exactly what is gained by getting the TPE?

How does that help us get Mayo?

Basically, if they traded Korver and took on no salary, they'd get a trade exception that allows them to add $5.1 mil (Korver's salary plus 100k, can't be combined with other salary figures) via trade. So in theory, they'd be able to have Memphis sign-and-trade Mayo to the Bulls at a salary starting at up to $5.1 mil and use the trade exception and maybe send the Grizz a 2nd rounder to make it work.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:28 PM)
Basically, if they traded Korver and took on no salary, they'd get a trade exception that allows them to add $5.1 mil (Korver's salary plus 100k, can't be combined with other salary figures) via trade. So in theory, they'd be able to have Memphis sign-and-trade Mayo to the Bulls at a salary starting at up to $5.1 mil and send them the trade exception and maybe a 2nd rounder to make it work.

So if we traded extra players in the S and T then Mayo's contract could be as large as those additional players' contracts plus the TPE?

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 01:30 PM)
So if we traded extra players in the S and T then Mayo's contract could be as large as those additional players' contracts plus the TPE?

No, the exception can't be combined with other salaries. It can only be combined with cash or picks, neither of which have a salary value for trading purposes.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
No, the exception can't be combined with other salaries. It can only be combined with cash or picks, neither of which have a salary value for trading purposes.

Okay, gotcha.

And could there be a subsequent deal to add to the TPE, or can that not stack as well?

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 01:43 PM)
Good signing if he can stay healthy. But we have the most injury prone lineup in the NBA and this won't help.

*gulp*

Redd is never healthy.

He did manage to play 51 games last year, promising sign for him. And when he's on the court he can still create his own shot and be a play maker.

Maybe this is the plan: compile a roster of injury prone players ----> players get injured ----> Tank '12-'13 For Derrick

:)

Edited by RZZZA

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 01:37 PM)
Okay, gotcha.

And could there be a subsequent deal to add to the TPE, or can that not stack as well?

It can't be combined with other salaries under any circumstances.

Here is a nice synopses of the Howard/Magic/Nets situation.

As the Brooklyn Nets warded off the advances of a potentially devastating Charlotte Bobcats offer sheet for Brook Lopez, time was running out on the franchise's ability to give Dwight Howard a trade to his preferred destination.

The Nets and Brook Lopez moved closer to completing an agreement for a five-year, $78 million maximum contract extension, sources told Yahoo! Sports. Once Lopez signs with Brooklyn, the franchise's pursuit of a Howard deal officially ends.

-----

Nets president Billy King made an improved offer on Wednesday morning to spare the Nets the turmoil of Lopez signing an offer sheet with the Bobcats, league sources told Yahoo! Sports. King made the first four years and $58 million of the extension fully guaranteed – no partial guarantees to account for Lopez’s foot problems – and the two sides were negotiating on the fifth year of a potential $78 million extension.

King was meeting with Lopez’s agent, Arn Tellem, on Wednesday in Los Angeles.

Now, the Bobcats can’t offer Lopez more guaranteed money than the Nets are giving him. Once an agreement is reached on Wednesday, the Nets still had a window to try and complete a sign-and-trade deal with Orlando for Howard, but the possibility was fading fast. Once Lopez signs with the Nets – or were to sign an offer sheet – the Nets would no longer be able to use him in a sign-and-trade scenario.

@SportsCenter

BREAKING - Dwight Howard trade to @brooklynnets falls through, last-gasp attempt to work deal has died (via @RicBucher)

@AlexKennedyNBA

Magic informed Howard they are suspending trade talks, according to source. Orlando will now focus on coaching search.

@sheridanhoops

Breaking news: #Nets are out of Dwight Howard sweepstakes. They will keep Brook Lopez, and probably Kris Humphries, too.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 08:01 PM)
he only played 5 games. His career average is 17.4ppg and 7.5rpg

Ah, I didn't realize that injury took him out the whole rest of the year. Serves me right for not watching the thriller that was the 2011-2012 nets.

Just became irrationally excited thinking we might be timed right to snag Jabari Parker with the Bobcats pick. But my math was so. far. off. That'd be fun though.

EDIT: UNLESS HE DOES HIS MORMON MISSIONARY TRIP!

Edited by bmags

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 03:37 PM)
Just became irrationally excited thinking we might be timed right to snag Jabari Parker with the Bobcats pick. But my math was so. far. off. That'd be fun though.

EDIT: UNLESS HE DOES HIS MORMON MISSIONARY TRIP!

That would be insane if the Bobcats pick ended up being Parker.

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jul 11, 2012 -> 11:32 AM)

Jake - The exception was recently used by the Lakers to get Steve Nash. The Lakers received the exception when they traded Odom to the Mavericks. The only way you can get an exception is if the other team is under the cap (or if the other team has an exception). So in the case of the Wolves, the difference in salary between what the Bulls give up and get in return, would be the exception.

They have an expiration period, which I believe to be a 1 year (maybe it is 2 years).