Rios!

mataipaepae

I don't want to credit hitting coaches, as that is the most overdone comment. I will credit an idea though -- there's too much of a downside for him when he's constantly trying to hit to all fields. Alex doesn't have to be an All-star hitter, just take it into right field when the opportunity is there.

I'd rather he be an overpay and do what he's best at than try to justify the contract. If he's fine defensively, and maintains that career OPS, I don't see why people consider this the worst overpay of all time.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 01:59 PM)
I don't want to credit hitting coaches, as that is the most overdone comment. I will credit an idea though -- there's too much of a downside for him when he's constantly trying to hit to all fields. Alex doesn't have to be an All-star hitter, just take it into right field when the opportunity is there.

I'd rather he be an overpay and do what he's best at than try to justify the contract. If he's fine defensively, and maintains that career OPS, I don't see why people consider this the worst overpay of all time.

I couldn't disagree more. He's become much, much more dangerous now that he is trying to turn on the inside pitch. The first month and a half or two of the season, he hit 1 home run because he was trying to just go the opposite way with everything. The pitchers adjusted and started busting him inside. It took him a few weeks to adjust back, but in June, he's been turning on inside pitches and going with pitches out over the plate. He's got 10 or 11 home runs now that he is willing to turn and burn the inside pitches, and his average hasn't suffered.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 06:56 AM)
I couldn't disagree more. He's become much, much more dangerous now that he is trying to turn on the inside pitch. The first month and a half or two of the season, he hit 1 home run because he was trying to just go the opposite way with everything. The pitchers adjusted and started busting him inside. It took him a few weeks to adjust back, but in June, he's been turning on inside pitches and going with pitches out over the plate. He's got 10 or 11 home runs now that he is willing to turn and burn the inside pitches, and his average hasn't suffered.

Which is exactly the same thing we always wanted to see out of Quentin, Beckham, Viciedo, etc.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
Which is exactly the same thing we always wanted to see out of Quentin, Beckham, Viciedo, etc.

Exactly. If Beckham can learn that...he would be doing better than he currently is. He has improved, but I think he can really help this team even more if would improve that aspect of his game.

QUOTE (mataipaepae @ Jun 27, 2012 -> 01:35 PM)
Boy do you remember how bad he was last year? Maybe he is that much more comfortable in right field.

If he can do this again next year I wouldn't mind him coming back. Definitely not for the same price. But he uss looking real good this year.

I would still dump him for nothing in return this year if someone was willing to take his salary (if you could). But I don't see that as a realistic possibility...I don't even care if that would create a bit of a hole in this year's lineup because the benefits beyond this year would make it worth it.

QUOTE (JUSTgottaBELIEVE @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 06:57 PM)
I would still dump him for nothing in return this year if someone was willing to take his salary (if you could). But I don't see that as a realistic possibility...I don't even care if that would create a bit of a hole in this year's lineup because the benefits beyond this year would make it worth it.

Have any of the papers or national websites written anything in depth on Rios? Like what his teammates and coaches think of him and why he's turned it around? It'd be interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff on the guy even if it was from anonymous sources. Why is he finally having a good season? It'd be easy to just blame Ozzie/Walker. I want some information.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 01:38 PM)
Have any of the papers or national websites written anything in depth on Rios? Like what his teammates and coaches think of him and why he's turned it around? It'd be interesting to hear some behind the scenes stuff on the guy even if it was from anonymous sources. Why is he finally having a good season? It'd be easy to just blame Ozzie/Walker. I want some information.

Well...get used to disappointment because the papers and national websites usually don't do much with the Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 01:10 PM)
Overall, no question. Second or third best hitter. Best defender. Second best baserunner. Been clutch all year.

while his season to season consistency is all over the place, he's been unbelievably consistent this year. His approach at the plate is just immaculate. Chris Sale and Jake Peavy have been arguably more valuable, but of the offensive players Rios has just done it all. He's earning the paycheck right now.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 02:45 PM)
It wasnt Ozzie or Robin or his approach or stance or anything. He's an every other year player. Its consistent.

That is said around here quite a bit and I just don't buy it. He was a great, great player from 2006-08 - the Jays didn't give him that huge contact based on one season. He was having a bit of a down year in 2009 when the Sox claimed him, and then everything went south when he got to the Sox for whatever reason. He was good in 2010, and then he looked absolutely horrendous last year and because his swing was so tight, choppy, and mechanical. Not only is he standing straighter this year, but he looks smoother at the plate too.

It really isn't a coincidence that when Rios plays well, the Sox play well. There have been a ton of other contributors this season as well, but he's as valuable, if not moreso, than anybody on the team when he's playing well.