Septimo gets the call

Tdog32

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember when we got him someone, I think NorthSideSox, said he sounded like a Roman emperor.

The Emperor, The Roman, The Conqueror, etc. would all work. Could go with a deity ala Quetzlcoatl.

I just say this so we avoid the "It's Leyson SepTIME" or some horrible, horrible pun.

QUOTE (CWSpalehoseCWS @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 04:30 PM)
If Robin got creative when he called him out of the pen, he could do a thumbs up/thumbs down motion like the emperor did in Gladiator. Similar to what Guillen did for Jenks way back when.

Which they did wrong in the movie, BTW, if anyone cares. It was the opposite of how they used it.

I'm calling him VII and I don't care who says I should do otherwise! :P

I just hope RV doesn't feel the urge to throw him into a game ASAP. Control issues (which some have suggested he might have) vs. the Yankees is a bad combo.

Which they did wrong in the movie, BTW, if anyone cares. It was the opposite of how they used it.

Actually I read that thumb to the throat meant "kill him" and thumb down meant "stick your sword harmlessly in the ground".

There was no thumbs up.

QUOTE (RZZZA @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 05:01 PM)
Actually I read that thumb to the throat meant "kill him" and thumb down meant "stick your sword harmlessly in the ground".

There was no thumbs up.

I don't know about it being to the throat, I just heard sideways. You may be right anyway, though.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/pro...=Leyson-Septimo

Now our second Dominican player in recent years, to cap off a long dry spell.

The last one I remember from our system was Jesus Pena.

To go along with DeAza, Santiago (Puerto Rican/NYC), Molina (Venezuela), Simon Castro, Marinez, Martinez, Santos Rodriguez, Rios, Alexei and Dayan.

Great start to his Sox career for General Maximus.

Hurling the ball in the 93-95 MPH range...hopefully better secondary pitch than Thornton, who continues to be worrisome.

Santiago can't stop the homer bug, he needs to go down and get things ironed out so he can be relied upon in the 2nd half pennant drive.

With Omogrosso, that's something like 15 or 16 homegrown or at least players who passed through our minor league system on the way up to the big leagues this season already.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 28, 2012 -> 02:23 PM)
Just call him The Gladiator

The Gladiator doesn't work so well with relief pitchers, or baseball players in general...

Too early for his nickname...we need to see a bit more of him...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
It was garbage time and really hard to judge someone there, but he appears to be at the very least Ohman's equal.

95 mph from the left side with a motion that isn't straight over the top and something offspeed thrown in. If he doesn't walk the bases loaded he'll be effective against lefties, and have a good shot against righties.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 30, 2012 -> 08:28 AM)
The Gladiator doesn't work so well with relief pitchers, or baseball players in general...

Too early for his nickname...we need to see a bit more of him...

If Soxtalk has learned anything, it is never too early for a nickname. In fact, we probably waited too long.