Will the Royals ever be good?

kitekrazy

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 01:44 PM)
Notice they killed the football game between U of I and Mizzou. It was too tough a noncon game for both. You got to play patsies in noncon.

As far as basketball, I guess the neutral site thing at Sprint Center might be what they eventually do in 10 years or so when they play again.

Do people actually care much about U of I vs. MU in a neutral site game?

Or is it a thing the media hypes up and it's a yawner. Neutral site games don't do it.

I guess there'd be a lot of fights in the parking lots with KU and MU playing in Sprint.

The Illinois/Mizzou football game was not too tough for both. Mizzou kept spanking Illinois, so that's why they stopped it for an easier home game. (damn you Jeremy Maclin)

The UI/Mizzou basketball game is a pretty solid atmosphere and the stadium in St. Louis is sold out every year, 50/50 split between the fanbases. It's one of the top non-conference rivalry games in college b-ball.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe KU has Nebraska, Colorado, or Texas A&M on the schedule either. KU's non-con in football is pretty much locked in for the next 2-3 years, and in basketball we have bigger fish to fry.

Mizzou chose to leave the conference therefore they ended the rivalry. It's as simple as that.

If Mizzou hadn't left, we wouldnt be having this discussion. It's as simple as that.

Maybe KU and Self have been adamant they don't plan on scheduling Mizzou, but you can't expect to have it both ways. With Mizzou leaving, more focus will be put on our in-state rivalry with K-State, and I'm all for that.

Now, back to the Royals. The hot rumor is that ownership doesn't want to spend much past $70M on payroll. With that kind of limit, we will not be realistic contenders in free agency. This team has a plethora of young talent, but needs big-time veteran pitcher. At least 2 starters.

QUOTE (High Mileage @ Jul 13, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)
I don't believe KU has Nebraska, Colorado, or Texas A&M on the schedule either. KU's non-con in football is pretty much locked in for the next 2-3 years, and in basketball we have bigger fish to fry.

Mizzou chose to leave the conference therefore they ended the rivalry. It's as simple as that.

If Mizzou hadn't left, we wouldnt be having this discussion. It's as simple as that.

Maybe KU and Self have been adamant they don't plan on scheduling Mizzou, but you can't expect to have it both ways. With Mizzou leaving, more focus will be put on our in-state rivalry with K-State, and I'm all for that.

Now, back to the Royals. The hot rumor is that ownership doesn't want to spend much past $70M on payroll. With that kind of limit, we will not be realistic contenders in free agency. This team has a plethora of young talent, but needs big-time veteran pitcher. At least 2 starters.

Royals have the making of a great bullpen in the future.

Need Odorizzi and Montgomery and Duffy to be healthy and figure out things.

Perez is a monster....looks like he will be an All-Star catcher, good hitter and great arm/release.

Need to trade Broxton and Francouer to open up playing time for Cain and Myers. Betancourt doesn't have a future with the Royals either, although his trade value is pretty negligible.

I thought Seitzer was a nice guy.

He appeared to be a dick in the postgame interview.

Maybe he's feeling the heat over Hosmer.

Right now Hosmer is a disaster. His struggles are Beckham-like (prior to Beckham getting his average to the .240 rang). You have to wonder if maybe KC will have to platoon him or sit him or send him down. He's that bad right now.

Edited by greg775

Royals have some issues still.

If Hosmer was hitting as he did last year, the Royals might have a pretty good offense. As such, the offense is blah and the starting pitching is a joke.

The Royals have some good players in Cain, Perez, Escobar, Gordon, Butler and Moustakas. Not bad at all.

Sox did a great job of stopping Butler in those 3 games at The K.

Hope that continues the rest of the times we play KC. Butler can kill ya.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 15, 2012 -> 06:51 PM)
Royals have some issues still.

If Hosmer was hitting as he did last year, the Royals might have a pretty good offense. As such, the offense is blah and the starting pitching is a joke.

The Royals have some good players in Cain, Perez, Escobar, Gordon, Butler and Moustakas. Not bad at all.

Sox did a great job of stopping Butler in those 3 games at The K.

Hope that continues the rest of the times we play KC. Butler can kill ya.

Not sure what he has done to be grouped in with the rest of the players, I'd mention Myers over him and hope Cain is just avg. Royals are fine they just need to get a couple veteran arms this off-season and they will compete.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)
MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors

Royals Designate Jonathan Sanchez For Assignment

Wow, that trade worked out great.

Melky's hitting .350 and Sanchez gets DFA'd. Dayton Moore at his best, everyone!

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:33 PM)
With that arm, it'd be worth a shot, especially if the Sox can't find another arm cheap enough.

He won't be able to pitch for a while if he joins the Sox.

He needs fixing and Coop will need some time to fix whatever is wrong with Sanchez. He quite frankly may be the worst player in Royals history and that's saying a lot.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
He won't be able to pitch for a while if he joins the Sox.

He needs fixing and Coop will need some time to fix whatever is wrong with Sanchez. He quite frankly may be the worst player in Royals history and that's saying a lot.

depends on what the problems are. If they are between the ears, it might take a while. If they are mechanical, some things are quick fixes.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 07:50 AM)
I think it's worth a shot. Obviously only if Danks is done for the season...and Quintana might hit a brickwall at some point with the number of pitches he has thrown this season already compared to seasons past.

I think they tried this experiment before.

Quintana might hit a brickwall at some point with the number of pitches he has thrown this season already compared to seasons past.

Yes, I think every single pitcher the Sox have that is throwing well is 100% guaranteed to have a debilitating injury any day now. We should stop using all of our good pitchers immediately.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 03:05 PM)
Yes, I think every single pitcher the Sox have that is throwing well is 100% guaranteed to have a debilitating injury any day now. We should stop using all of our good pitchers immediately.

The point is, you can never have enough starting pitching depth.

True or false?

Nothing is guaranteed to go wrong, that's true. But if you keep pushing pitchers like Ventura has been, you just can't go on and on indefinitely without repercussions. Floyd, Humber and Danks have all been hurt this year, not to mention Crain twice.

There's a sound reason that Washington and the White Sox are considering limiting Sale and Strasburg, even in the midst of a pennant race.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 18, 2012 -> 09:19 PM)
The point is, you can never have enough starting pitching depth.

True or false?

Nothing is guaranteed to go wrong, that's true. But if you keep pushing pitchers like Ventura has been, you just can't go on and on indefinitely without repercussions. Floyd, Humber and Danks have all been hurt this year, not to mention Crain twice.

There's a sound reason that Washington and the White Sox are considering limiting Sale and Strasburg, even in the midst of a pennant race.

Can you imagine if the Sox made it all the way to the WS? This Sale stuff would get really interesting if he's shut down for the postseason or something. Modern baseball/concern for arms ... gotta love it.

Great to see Sanchez finally gone. Of course it was long overdue, like everything our FO does.

Jim Bowden reports the Royals are trying to get the Reds or Mets to take Jeff Francoeur, to make room for Wil Myers. The Mets and Angels have been openly interested in Jonathan Broxton. I'd like to see all of that, and I'd be thrilled if they could give Betancourt away. I'm not holding my breath on any of it.

This Royals team will finish in last place.