Best and Worst Sections, value in the park

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 02:31 PM)
Seriously...for all the "It's bigger in Texas" bulls***, they build a park that makes you feel claustrophobic. Booooo! I say.

The park would be a lot better if it had an open format. Other than that, I loved the layout. I miss the overhanging upper deck, so it was kinda cool to sit in one again.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:12 PM)
I've been to 100+ games and had no idea you could do this.

Those are the seats near the right foul pole right? I thought you needed to buy tickets for those (like the pregame buffet)

Yes, by Section 107ish

The field level seats are free, the ones in front of the 100 level seats are $15 per person.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 12:51 PM)
Upperdeck is worthless and is the albatross of US Cellular. JR had to have the extra suites and when park was designed he was warned about what the upperdeck would be like and did not care as long as he got the suites.

this s*** again?

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 01:08 PM)
US Cellular houses 103 luxury suites located on TWO levels, located under the upperdeck which raised the upperdeck, this created one of the highest upper decks in baseball. The first row of seats in the upper deck at the new stadium is as far from the field as the highest row of seats in the upper deck at the old stadium. The pitch and angle of the upper deck give one the feeling of vertigo. Guess this is urban legend also!

same ol tired chiches.

have you been to any other park? milwaukee's is higher, so is citi field and yankee stadium.

the ONLY new park that has a better upper deck is pittsburgh. but they built below street level.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:09 PM)
same ol tired chiches.

have you been to any other park? milwaukee's is higher, so is citi field and yankee stadium.

the ONLY new park that has a better upper deck is pittsburgh. but they built below street level.

The two biggest mistakes they made at USCF were not making a street level entrance at the top of the 100 level, instead of the bottom, and not having the Chicago skyline visible in the open outfield.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:19 PM)
The two biggest mistakes they made at USCF were not making a street level entrance at the top of the 100 level, instead of the bottom, and not having the Chicago skyline visible in the open outfield.

Meh. I was always a fan of the Robert Taylor skyline they had until 2007.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

I would have loved them to have built in the south loop. There wasn't a damned think worth keeping there when they broke ground in the late 80's.

I have sat literally everywhere in that park except for Scout seats and Club Level (doing that soon), and it's crazy to say the UD seats are terrible. I've sat last row, all the way down 3B line (i.e., as high and far away as you can be) and the view is still not bad. Plus, you get the killer view of the city and the breeze when it's hot.

Usually we're in first row in the UD and of course that's killer. The lines are shorter in the UD, the fans tend to be real fans (not on their iPhones all day) and there's even a MUCH less crowded gift shop.

The only crappy seats I've ever experienced at The Cell are the ones behind/next to the foul poles. 155/156 or 108/109. I hate those views.

I also enjoy being first row any section in the OF, especially the bleachers. Hell even the fan deck is a nice view, if far away.

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:03 PM)
I have sat literally everywhere in that park except for Scout seats and Club Level (doing that soon), and it's crazy to say the UD seats are terrible. I've sat last row, all the way down 3B line (i.e., as high and far away as you can be) and the view is still not bad. Plus, you get the killer view of the city and the breeze when it's hot.

Usually we're in first row in the UD and of course that's killer. The lines are shorter in the UD, the fans tend to be real fans (not on their iPhones all day) and there's even a MUCH less crowded gift shop.

The only crappy seats I've ever experienced at The Cell are the ones behind/next to the foul poles. 155/156 or 108/109. I hate those views.

I also enjoy being first row any section in the OF, especially the bleachers. Hell even the fan deck is a nice view, if far away.

Can't agree with this. Sat in these "worst seats in the house" for a 2000 playoff game. You literally can't tell if a ball leaving the bat is an infield popup or a home run.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Yeah but that's kind of true from most UD seats, I've found. It IS really hard to tell: is that going out or an easy pop?

So that is one legit thing about UD--it's hard to gauge wear that ball is going, depth-wise.

Yes, and you wind up cheering like an idiot for what turns out to be an easy out. Made me feel like a Cubs fan.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:33 PM)
Can't agree with this. Sat in these "worst seats in the house" for a 2000 playoff game. You literally can't tell if a ball leaving the bat is an infield popup or a home run.

Every single new ballpark out there is like this.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 03:21 PM)

Around the 4th of July there usually were a couple of nice fireworks shows inside some Robert Taylor units. Hindsight, but they should have built the park around Roosevelt and the river. There was a ton of vacant land right there.Red Line, Orange Line, Green Line right there. Easy commute from the metra train stations, and nice short trip for people working downtown after work. Could have built a nice riverwalk and had the field open to the skyline. It would have been quite an attraction. That said, the park is very nice, and really nothing to complain about.

As far as value goes, if you're there to watch a game, infield upper deck premium boxes are the best deal without codes. That's the best bang for your buck watching a game.

My worst experience, I got stuck near the left field foul pole on the lower level and had beer dumped on me from the club level above by people hanging over the railing edge.

I don't recommend seats under the club area at all.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:50 PM)
Yeah but that's kind of true from most UD seats, I've found. It IS really hard to tell: is that going out or an easy pop?

So that is one legit thing about UD--it's hard to gauge wear that ball is going, depth-wise.

QUOTE (Stan Bahnsen @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 04:52 PM)
Yes, and you wind up cheering like an idiot for what turns out to be an easy out. Made me feel like a Cubs fan.

I don't find that to be the case at all, as long as you are near the front of the UD and somewhat near home plate. If you are down the lines or way up the stairs, then yeah.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 12, 2012 -> 08:05 PM)
I don't find that to be the case at all, as long as you are near the front of the UD and somewhat near home plate. If you are down the lines or way up the stairs, then yeah.

Yes. I was referring to those - at the top of the right and left field upper decks, in the very corner. Truly awful vantage point, but as you said it's fairly similar to the worst seats at most of the new parks.

I love upper box seats behind (or close to) behind home plate. You can find good deals for these seats (below typical face value) pretty frequently if you keep your eyes open in a few places, and it's an absolutely awesome, full view of the game. I don't have the trouble that I saw a few people mention judging the depth of fly balls either, but maybe I'm just used to it because I've sat there so many times. As I also saw previously mentioned, the lines upstairs tend to be reasonable, even if the crowd is close to capacity.

Edited by whitesoxfan101