Dempster to Rangers

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:19 AM)
Any team looking for a starter can easily beat a Axelrod/Mitchell package. I'd think Castro or Rienzo have to go as part of a package to get a pitcher of quality.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:20 AM)
Like I said earlier, I think because of the new compensation rules, prices might be a little lower than they have in the past.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:21 AM)
Sure, but Axelrod has zero value.

Marty, if you read my post, I pointed our Axelrod as a "placeholder". The prospects are the meat of the trade, Axelrod is just there to hold down a rotation spot and eat innings on a last place team.

And as SS2K5 pointed out, Dempster gets the Cubs nothing at the end of the season. So how much does 2.5 months of Dempster cost? Not a whole lot, and I doubt many teams will be willing to part with any truly elite pitching talent in return. That would make no sense.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
The problem is all the big market teams are going to shy away from Greinke because of his social anxiety disorder or whatever he has. Maybe the Dodgers would offer him something huge, and I know they are a big market team, but SoCal isn't NY or Boston or even Chicago.

The funniest thing of all would be if Glass went crazy and brought Greinke back to the Royals.

But not counting on it happening.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:39 AM)
The problem is all the big market teams are going to shy away from Greinke because of his social anxiety disorder or whatever he has. Maybe the Dodgers would offer him something huge, and I know they are a big market team, but SoCal isn't NY or Boston or even Chicago.

I'd think the Dodgers get more coverage in LA than the Sox in Chicago.

Apparently the Tigers and Dodgers are the most serious in regards to acquirering Dempster.

Bruce Levine said Dempster could be had for quality young arms from the A to AA levels down in the farm as well as a solid young 3b prospect. Hmm do we have such thing?

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:54 AM)
Apparently the Tigers and Dodgers are the most serious in regards to acquirering Dempster.

Bruce Levine said Dempster could be had for quality young arms from the A to AA levels down in the farm as well as a solid young 3b prospect. Hmm do we have such thing?

Not unless you consider Wilkins or Ravelo legitimate 3B prospects.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:56 AM)
Not unless you consider Wilkins or Ravelo legitimate 3B prospects.

Wilkins hasn't been a 3B in quite a while.

Carlos Sanchez has been playing some 3B, but I'd be hesitant to trade him. Ravelo, and possibly down the line Saladino (if he has to move), are possible not neither are elite. Pitching down at AA or below, guys like Erik Johnson stick out, but again, not elite.

I predict that Dempster will be traded somewhere soon for something that would not exactly be considered a kings ransom. At that point, Soxtalk will explode with posters wondering why we didn't get him if that's all it took.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:13 AM)
I predict that Dempster will be traded somewhere soon for something that would not exactly be considered a kings ransom. At that point, Soxtalk will explode with posters wondering why we didn't get him if that's all it took.

lol, yep

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)

bold prediction.

QUOTE (balfanman @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:13 AM)

Right on, right on - no one is going to overpay for a 6 month rental - mid level prospect gets it done. Cubs have to dump him or see him go for nothing.

QUOTE (everafan @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 10:56 AM)
Right on, right on - no one is going to overpay for a 6 month rental - mid level prospect gets it done. Cubs have to dump him or see him go for nothing.

By all accounts, he is gonna be a Cub in 2013, trade or no trade.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)
Marty, if you read my post, I pointed our Axelrod as a "placeholder". The prospects are the meat of the trade, Axelrod is just there to hold down a rotation spot and eat innings on a last place team.

And as SS2K5 pointed out, Dempster gets the Cubs nothing at the end of the season. So how much does 2.5 months of Dempster cost? Not a whole lot, and I doubt many teams will be willing to part with any truly elite pitching talent in return. That would make no sense.

You wrote that maybe Axelrod and Mitchell could get you Dempster. I strongly disagree with that. I'm sure there is a team that views Dempster as the difference between winning a division or not and that is what will push his price higher than Axelrod and Mitchell.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)
You wrote that maybe Axelrod and Mitchell could get you Dempster. I strongly disagree with that. I'm sure there is a team that views Dempster as the difference between winning a division or not and that is what will push his price higher than Axelrod and Mitchell.

That was one of the scenarios, yes. Maybe Axelrod, Mitchell and one of those boom/bust low level pitching prospects. But we'll see. There are a fwe teams out there looking to add starting pitching, and a few teams looking to shed it, and with the new rules, I just don't see teams paying out the nose for a 2.5 month rental of any one player.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:08 AM)
That was one of the scenarios, yes. Maybe Axelrod, Mitchell and one of those boom/bust low level pitching prospects. But we'll see. There are a fwe teams out there looking to add starting pitching, and a few teams looking to shed it, and with the new rules, I just don't see teams paying out the nose for a 2.5 month rental of any one player.

I guess it depends on how desperate teams will be at the deadline. Heading into the playoffs its very important to have 3 solid starters. Dempster would put us over the top in the AL central IMO. Having Peavy, Sale, Dempster and Quintana the rest of the way would be golden!

If I was KW i would be as creative as I can in attempt to get this done. Since we dont have that 3b prospect, I am sure Mitchell would be intruiging for them along with two solid AA of A pitchers. Pedro Hernandez and Santos Rodriguez perhaps? I am just throwing names out there but we do have a few decent arms down in the farm that may intrigue the Cubs.

Edited by GreatScott82

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:04 AM)

As much as people hate Jared Mitchell around here, he's going to be a top 100 prospect. I seriously doubt will get a much better prospect for Dempster, when there are better pitchers on the market and the acquiring team will get no compensation at the end of the year.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:39 AM)
If the Sox were trading a pitcher like Dempster and all KW got back was Dylan Axelrod, Jared Mitchell, and an A ball pitcher who throws hard, I think I might throw up.

If the Sox had Dempster, a free-agent-to-be in 2.5 months, and had one of the worst records in baseball, and with no compensation coming for his exit... I think you'd be a lot more upset if the Sox didn't trade him at all. Or you should be.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 11:55 AM)
If the Sox had Dempster, a free-agent-to-be in 2.5 months, and had one of the worst records in baseball, and with no compensation coming for his exit... I think you'd be a lot more upset if the Sox didn't trade him at all. Or you should be.

If I'm not mistaken, teams only do not get compensation for players that they have had for less than 1 year.