Vacation/Travel Thread.

justBLAZE

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Jul 11, 2015 -> 12:46 AM)
Wow, thank you for all those suggestions. We are going on a huge family trip (20+ people) so these are some ideas I will relay to everyone else that I am sure some will want to do. We have a huge house right by the beach so I am sure most of our time will be spent at our pool and on the beach lol. But I want to venture out and actually do some other stuff. I appreciate it, I will refer back to this when we are down there.

If you have any disputes with adolescent boys over beach chairs, I do not recommend punching them in the face and threatening them if they go to the police.

QUOTE (juddling @ Jul 12, 2015 -> 04:37 AM)
One more week till vacation...one more week till vacation...one more week till vacation. Headed north to the UP and a cabin on the Lake Superior shore. Almost makes me wish I fished. I might have to start.....

If you do fish up there, keep something in mind. Fishing IN Lake Superior is different than fishing in a small lake or river nearby. You may want to try the latter first. If you go out onto the lake, be careful - Lake Superior can get very angry, very fast. And to fish it well, you need to get out from the shore a bit, find some reefs, etc. You CAN fish from the shore, but won't likely get much.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 11:15 AM)
If you do fish up there, keep something in mind. Fishing IN Lake Superior is different than fishing in a small lake or river nearby. You may want to try the latter first. If you go out onto the lake, be careful - Lake Superior can get very angry, very fast. And to fish it well, you need to get out from the shore a bit, find some reefs, etc. You CAN fish from the shore, but won't likely get much.

You'll be bringing up fish encased in blocks of ice.

I was up there during summer (August) and froze my ass off. I needed long pants/sleeves and a jacket.

2 more years and then the summer vacations begin. I keep telling my wife...no vacation until both kids can at a minimum, feed themselves, haha. Thankfully my daughter is their (that is of course presuming she wants to eat). Yep, I have high standards for my kids ;)

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 9, 2015 -> 10:34 PM)
Any Lahaina, Maui experts out there? Near or on Kaanapali Beach? I need to find a nice house to rent with 3 bedrooms for the thursday before thanksgiving through thanksgiving. Has anybody tried ABandB? Anybody know of a hotel for about 150 a night max that isn't a dump?

Doubt you'll find a hotel in Hawaii for that cheap. Check VRBO.com, might be able to rent a house for a few hundred a night with some other people.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:23 AM)
2 more years and then the summer vacations begin. I keep telling my wife...no vacation until both kids can at a minimum, feed themselves, haha. Thankfully my daughter is their (that is of course presuming she wants to eat). Yep, I have high standards for my kids ;)

I can say this because my kids are older... you'll find that kids who are younger, like less than 1.5 or 2 years old, are EASIER to take to restaurants and the like than toddlers. It's the age 2-4 range that is the worst for travel, dining out, etc. They're old enough to feed themselves sure, but they're also big enough to make all manner of trouble, get antsy, etc. They don't start really calming until 4-5 years old, give or take.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)
I can say this because my kids are older... you'll find that kids who are younger, like less than 1.5 or 2 years old, are EASIER to take to restaurants and the like than toddlers. It's the age 2-4 range that is the worst for travel, dining out, etc. They're old enough to feed themselves sure, but they're also big enough to make all manner of trouble, get antsy, etc. They don't start really calming until 4-5 years old, give or take.

Yeah, I have figured as much with our daughter (turns 2 this upcoming weekend but has been an early adopter of the terrible two's...tantrums for no apparent reasons seem to be the norm, haha). We really don't eat out much unless it is grabbing something and going to the park or eating somewhere outdoors so their is plenty of entertainment for her. For example, yesterday we were at Lowes to get a storage shed for the backyard (usually she loves going to stores)...one minute she's happy as a camper...the next minute (or I should say the next 10 minutes or what felt like 10 minutes), the Lowes store (pretty sure the whole store could have heard it) got to hear my daughter have a meltdown because I wouldn't let her play with the bubble wrap they sell in rolls (which she happened to see and want to play with). Thankfully it was early in the AM and the store was pretty empty. She worked up such a fuss, by the time we eventually got back to the car to put the storage shed in the back, by the time I had the car filled up (put her in the car seat first), she was asleep from her lil outburst. But while she was sleeping, you could still hear her still sniffling (as if she was crying in her sleep).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 08:42 AM)

Yeah, I have figured as much with our daughter (turns 2 this upcoming weekend but has been an early adopter of the terrible two's...tantrums for no apparent reasons seem to be the norm, haha). We really don't eat out much unless it is grabbing something and going to the park or eating somewhere outdoors so their is plenty of entertainment for her. For example, yesterday we were at Lowes to get a storage shed for the backyard (usually she loves going to stores)...one minute she's happy as a camper...the next minute (or I should say the next 10 minutes or what felt like 10 minutes), the Lowes store (pretty sure the whole store could have heard it) got to hear my daughter have a meltdown because I wouldn't let her play with the bubble wrap they sell in rolls (which she happened to see and want to play with). Thankfully it was early in the AM and the store was pretty empty. She worked up such a fuss, by the time we eventually got back to the car to put the storage shed in the back, by the time I had the car filled up (put her in the car seat first), she was asleep from her lil outburst. But while she was sleeping, you could still hear her still sniffling (as if she was crying in her sleep).

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:42 AM)

Very true.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:52 AM)

Ha, my son just turned 3. I thought those 2 year old tantrums were bad. Now throw in talking back, screaming "no," spitting, hitting, etc. Fun age to be a parent!

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:15 AM)

Well, the place we're staying has a charter service so I don't think I would have an issue of being out there by myself....but I don't think we will be doing that anyways. Been watching their temps the last couple weeks and so far they have been pretty comparable to chicago's. I told my kid to bring her swim suit but I doubt she'll be in the water at all......

OK, I know most of you live in/near Chicago, but have any of you taken a trip TO Chicago with small kids (7, 5)? We are going for 3 nights in October and am looking for hotel suggestions? In the past when it's just been my wife and I we've just stayed downtown and taken the L and walked everywhere we went, but with the kids I'm wondering if that might be too much for them? We are going to do Brookfield Zoo, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and if we have time the Planetarium or Science and Industry.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:55 AM)
OK, I know most of you live in/near Chicago, but have any of you taken a trip TO Chicago with small kids (7, 5)? We are going for 3 nights in October and am looking for hotel suggestions? In the past when it's just been my wife and I we've just stayed downtown and taken the L and walked everywhere we went, but with the kids I'm wondering if that might be too much for them? We are going to do Brookfield Zoo, Field Museum, Shedd Aquarium, and if we have time the Planetarium or Science and Industry.

Essex Inn looks to be close, affordable, and has good ratings.

Brookfield's a ways out of the city, have you considered Lincoln Park Zoo instead? It's not as big, but it is free.

Also the planetarium is incredibly boring, and I say this as someone who's usually interested in space/astronomy. I'd definitely pick Museum of S&I over that.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 13, 2015 -> 10:31 AM)
Doubt you'll find a hotel in Hawaii for that cheap. Check VRBO.com, might be able to rent a house for a few hundred a night with some other people.

You can find condos in Kihei for less than $150 a night through VRBO and airbnb, not sure about around Lahaina or Kaanapali, though. Kaanapali seemed to be mainly the big-name resorts and big "vacation club"/timeshare places for Marriott, Hyatt etc.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:52 AM)
Brookfield's a ways out of the city, have you considered Lincoln Park Zoo instead? It's not as big, but it is free.

Also the planetarium is incredibly boring, and I say this as someone who's usually interested in space/astronomy. I'd definitely pick Museum of S&I over that.

Museum of S&I is great for kids 7-12.

The Aquarium is overpriced.

Navy Pier is touristy.

Field Museum is nice.

Planetarium looked boring.

Museum of Art was really nice.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 08:52 AM)

With little kids, I would agree 100%. I love it, but it is older in its materials.

For my two cents, Science and Industry would be #1. It is entirely hands on, and is the most geared towards your kids age group.

Also Brookfield Zoo is HUGE for five year olds legs. Either bring a wagon, or be prepared to carry the kid at various points. Take in the dolphin show at Brookfield, if you go.

Shedd is probably choice #2 at that age, maybe even #1 depending on your kids. Get tickets ahead of time, as the lines get INSANE during the summer. I am talking hour +, at least. Take in at least one of the big shows there as well, it is worth the extra money.

I'd probably also considering scratching the Field Museum at this age as well. Much older material. About the only thing that age will enjoy is Sue, and that takes 30 seconds of attention, maybe 5 minutes if you have an excited boy. After that, most is geared towards adults, except for their kid play area.

Millennium Park would be a great add instead of maybe Field or Adler. Between the Bean and the Fountains, plenty of kid friendly stuff, plus it is right there in the middle of downtown.

Another kid friendly add might be a boat tour on the Chicago River.

Navy Pier might be worth checking out as well, though I have never done it, I always hear how kid friendly it is.

Finally, be ready for the prices. Everything is EXPENSIVE. Your pocketbook is going to hit hard at all of these places. They are all tourist traps designed to squeeze every last penny out of you.

We're going to have a car, so driving out to Brookfield isn't any big deal.

The planetarium would not be boring for the 7 year old, he's really, really into planets/space right now. In fact, if we decide not to go there, we're not even going to tell him the planetarium exists just to avoid the epic meltdown he would have.

Navy Pier is touristy but your kids will love it for an afternoon. Definitely take a boat ride while out there, the river tours are great.

Museum of Science & Industry should be your #1 museum destination. Completely geared toward kids.

QUOTE (SnB @ Jul 14, 2015 -> 09:05 AM)
Navy Pier is touristy but your kids will love it for an afternoon. Definitely take a boat ride while out there, the river tours are great.

Museum of Science & Industry should be your #1 museum destination. Completely geared toward kids.

Yeah, that's a solid recommendation. We did that once or twice when I worked at a summer camp, and the kids had a blast.

I'm a member of Brookfield Zoo and I have parents who live a few blocks from Lincoln Park. We go to both multiple times a year. I'd recommend Lincoln Park. It's free and a little smaller so your kid(s) don't have to walk nearly as much. Plus you'll save the 1-1.5 hour round trip out there. Keep in mind traffic gets insane all around the brookfield zoo at peak times on saturday/sunday when it's nice out. To the point that you'll be sitting in your car for a good 30-45 minutes just waiting in line to park.

MS&I is the easy choice. The Children's Museum at Navy Pier may be good too. I have not been though.

I'm a member of Brookfield Zoo and I have parents who live a few blocks from Lincoln Park. We go to both multiple times a year. I'd recommend Lincoln Park. It's free and a little smaller so your kid(s) don't have to walk nearly as much. Plus you'll save the 1-1.5 hour round trip out there. Keep in mind traffic gets insane all around the brookfield zoo at peak times on saturday/sunday when it's nice out. To the point that you'll be sitting in your car for a good 30-45 minutes just waiting in line to park.

MS&I is the easy choice. The Children's Museum at Navy Pier may be good too. I have not been though.

We're going on a Monday or Tuesday in October.