8/20 Yankees at White Sox

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 04:36 AM)
Well, possibly the best way I can phrase it is that Robin, especially with the bullpen, has been making decisions counter to ones that would seem to lead to the best chance of success for the ballclub.

Yes, it's the pitcher's job to get whoever out. But it's the manager's job to utilize the bullpen in a way of making sure that happens. Leaving Santiago in for 75 pitches probably wasn't the best way to do that, for example.

Possibly true.

What I've basically noticed is most of the second guessers on here pretty much want 5-7 pitchers used every game. At the start of trouble they want the starter pulled, normally by the fifth inning, certainly by 5 1/3 innings. Then after that it's a clusterfrick of criticisms mostly regarding matchups. The second guessers pretty much want 5-6 pitchers a night.

QUOTE (Heads22 @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Well, possibly the best way I can phrase it is that Robin, especially with the bullpen, has been making decisions counter to ones that would seem to lead to the best chance of success for the ballclub.

Yes, it's the pitcher's job to get whoever out. But it's the manager's job to utilize the bullpen in a way of making sure that happens. Leaving Santiago in for 75 pitches probably wasn't the best way to do that, for example.

what was the most pitches that Santiago threw in his 3 starts down in CHARLOTTE?

any word on DeAza or Floyd, whether Gavin's actually hurt again or it's just his mental fragility at stake here?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:40 AM)
Possibly true.

What I've basically noticed is most of the second guessers on here pretty much want 5-7 pitchers used every game. At the start of trouble they want the starter pulled, normally by the fifth inning, certainly by 5 1/3 innings. Then after that it's a clusterfrick of criticisms mostly regarding matchups. The second guessers pretty much want 5-6 pitchers a night.

I'll totally agree a lot of us (definitely myself included) are guilty of this. However, when Veal was warmed and ready to go, that's when it's frustrating that he wasn't used to face Cano.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 20, 2012 -> 09:41 PM)
I'll totally agree a lot of us (definitely myself included) are guilty of this. However, when Veal was warmed and ready to go, that's when it's frustrating that he wasn't used to face Cano.

More than anything, we're just looking for signs of progression or improvement in the decision-making process.

Granted, the likes of Jones and Thornton and then Crain/Myers (weekend) have been really frustrating and ineffective...but the second-guessing has pretty much been "first guessing" and predictable for most die hard fans.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Aug 21, 2012 -> 03:43 AM)
More than anything, we're just looking for signs of progression or improvement in the decision-making process.

I think a big issue they have to figure out now is how long to keep Peavy/Sale in games, and that they aren't the superstars they were earlier in the year.

I'll take a little jinx risk before the game is over, but if the boys win this, I seriously think this might be one of the biggest wins of the year... Off a slump, down 3, not converting, SP pulled after two. Dunno, but could be an important milestone.......