Is Hawk one of the all time greats?

southsider2k5

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (MexSoxFan#1 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 10:43 AM)
I love the Hawk, I get how he would be annoying to others and sometimes he over uses his hawkisms but I get a chuckle every now and then during his PBP, he is a very funny guy...some of his lines have rubbed off on me, my brother plays baseball in an amatuer league and I'll be in the stands and when an opposing hitter hits a line drive down the foul line and I'll yell out "get foul, it will, thank you!" or when someone strikes out I'll say "he gone!" :lolhitting

Stay Fair

Get Foul

Two underappreciated Hawkisms. I use them all of the time.

Hawk is getting old and it is kind of sad but he is still entertaining.

QUOTE (Andy the Clown @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 01:22 PM)
I'm not surprised that you would take time to protect a bad argument.

Why don't you get off of my ass for a little while, eh?

You pull a Hitler comparison out of a thread about a baseball announcer and you expect no one to notice it? lol, ok.

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 02:42 PM)
Ok, i'll bite at this...

hawk is awful, plain and simple. i don't care that this is his sixth decade in professional baseball and that insert player's name is the best he's ever seen. last night he said salvador perez was the best young catcher to come into this league in a long time....pretty sure he said the same thing about carlos santana 2 years ago. he's making sox games unbearable to watch with his dumb catch phrases and repetitive stories about ted williams and yaz ...can't wait till this asshat retires.

I'll ask you this ... are there any announcing teams you like? Because I can't listen to almost all of them because they are such homers. Homers in terms of never uttering a negative word or close to a negative word about the team that signs their checks.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)
I'll ask you this ... are there any announcing teams you like? Because I can't listen to almost all of them because they are such homers. Homers in terms of never uttering a negative word or close to a negative word about the team that signs their checks.

It's fine being a homer, it should be expected when you have a team broadcasting 162 plus games, but you have to maintain some sort of professionalism and unbiasness at times. Hawk doesn't do that.

Farmer is so monotonous and dull. Not too mention he talks over DJ all time.

I would love to have a new pbp guy on TV but it just won't happen anytime soon, unfortunately. It would be a breath of fresh air to have a professional in there with Stone.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 19, 2012 -> 04:38 PM)

I'll be completely honest with you, I really haven't listened to any other broadcast teams. I'm sure they're all homers, but that's not what really bothers me. It's the constant catch phrases, pointless stories, ripping umpires, and "this guy is best yada yada yada i've ever seen in my sixty years in baseball". I totally understand that some of the older sox fans feel connected because hawks been around for a long time and has stories about ted williams and such. But to me, his whole shtick has become an unbearable joke. All i want is a professional play-by-play guy to call what is happening...it's that simple. Might get blasted for this, but i'll take Len Casper any day of the week over hawk.

QUOTE (Jbabs34 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 10:00 AM)
I'll be completely honest with you, I really haven't listened to any other broadcast teams. I'm sure they're all homers, but that's not what really bothers me. It's the constant catch phrases, pointless stories, ripping umpires, and "this guy is best yada yada yada i've ever seen in my sixty years in baseball". I totally understand that some of the older sox fans feel connected because hawks been around for a long time and has stories about ted williams and such. But to me, his whole shtick has become an unbearable joke. All i want is a professional play-by-play guy to call what is happening...it's that simple. Might get blasted for this, but i'll take Len Casper any day of the week over hawk.

I listened to the MLB broadcasts of the Tigers/A's game the other night in between innings of the Sox game. It was a complete snoozefest. I couldn't even tell whose feed it was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 03:01 PM)
I listened to the MLB broadcasts of the Tigers/A's game the other night in between innings of the Sox game. It was a complete snoozefest. I couldn't even tell whose feed it was.
The KC broadcasters I listened to the other nite, Ryan Lefebvre, Rex Hudler, and Joel Goldberg were dry as toast, bland as vanilla and in general bored me to tears. Seriously, is that what some of you want?

The things I hear complaints about with Hawk the most are things that don't happen that often. Even before that epic ripping of Wegner he had drastically reduced his criticisms of umpires. You go weeks/months without hearing a word about Yaz. While his superlatives about players are sometimes false, they are nonetheless reserved for a very select few. It may annoy you every time he does that incorrectly, but don't act like there's a player on every team that he thinks is the best ever. YOU think that because you think him complimenting a player means that. I feel like some Sox fans watch the game, don't listen to Hawk at all, and just wait for him to do something "wrong." When they only take note of the things they don't like, that's all they think exists. It's very similar to the way we like to say certain players are worthless in game threads.

Having MLB.tv really spoils you. Hearing other teams broadcasters at any time you realize what a joke Hawk is. He's a morning zoo drop-in machine. Not an original thought in his broadcasts.

I loved him as a kid, but that nostalgia wears off quickly.

QUOTE (Cali @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Having MLB.tv really spoils you. Hearing other teams broadcasters at any time you realize what a joke Hawk is. He's a morning zoo drop-in machine. Not an original thought in his broadcasts.

I loved him as a kid, but that nostalgia wears off quickly.

I have MLB audio and it has been the exactly the opposite. Most of the teams just suck

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 05:56 PM)
I have MLB audio and it has been the exactly the opposite. Most of the teams just suck

Yeah, I have the Extra Innings package, and I get the same impressions. There are a few good teams, namely the Oakland team and the Diamondback team, and even some combinations of the Royals guys (they have 3 or 4 guys because they added Physioc and Huddler this year), but most of them annoy me incredibly.

QUOTE (SI1020 @ Sep 20, 2012 -> 06:59 PM)
The KC broadcasters I listened to the other nite, Ryan Lefebvre, Rex Hudler, and Joel Goldberg were dry as toast, bland as vanilla and in general bored me to tears. Seriously, is that what some of you want?

Denny Mathews on Royals radio is OK just because he's so jaded by bad baseball that he's kind of entertaining in his monotone.

He refuses to get excited. He had a beef with the team a few years back before they finally put him in the Royals Hall of Fame and while not critical of the Royals, he's monotone. He tells good stories, though.

The rest of the Royals crew, especially Steve Physioc? They can cure insomnia. Physioc enunciates each word in a sickening way. He is very dull. Hudler equals dull. Goldberg horrific. Lefebvre is OK when he's with Denny.

When I first got into the Sox when I was younger and had problems at home growing up, I loved Hawks because It was like there was a grandpa I could watch the games with who actually liked the Sox. (Grew up, and still live in, Tiger and Indians land)

But now that I'm older, I wish Hawk would retire. Its fine to act like that on CSN, or WCIU, but I wish he would tone it down on WGN nationally.