Why Is Addison Reed Still Closing?

Lillian

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Carter224 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 05:02 PM)
Reed is a f***ing bum

Ide rather see Wise out there than him at this point.. holy crap, he is going to cost us this division if they dont get his ass out of the closers role.. but who the hell else could close for us currently

Crain is starting to look better.

Otherwise, it's got to be Jones or s***, maybe even Veal?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 06:04 PM)
Crain is starting to look better.

Otherwise, it's got to be Jones or s***, maybe even Veal?

I'd go w/ Jones. Unlike Reed, he throws a mean 100mph fastball and Detroit has hardly seen him. Reed would get killed by the likes of Cabrera, Fielder, Hamilton, Granderson, etc. His 92-94mph fastball looks like a beach ball to those caliber-type of players.

Reed looked good for the first 3 batters. I don't worry about his fastball. It has good movement and velocity isn't a concern to me. I do worry about the tilt on his slider. His offspeed stuff leaves a lot to be desired. He's a weird pitcher in that he doesn't miss many bats, but still strikes a lot of guys out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 06:21 PM)
I don't think I've ever seen a pitcher who throws everything right at the belt as much as Reed does. He's like a pitcher in a video game where they just throw at the same spot every time and only thing that changes is velocity and if it's inside or outside.

Lucas Harrell. Lots of high fastballs & balls right down the middle during pitchers counts. Instead of making them chase he gives them what they're looking for.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 06:37 PM)
Reed looked good for the first 3 batters. I don't worry about his fastball. It has good movement and velocity isn't a concern to me. I do worry about the tilt on his slider. His offspeed stuff leaves a lot to be desired. He's a weird pitcher in that he doesn't miss many bats, but still strikes a lot of guys out.

His slider is filthy when its on. The difference between good Reed slider vs. not good Reed slider is similar to Jessie Crain's good curveball (today) and the roller he inexplicably gets swings and misses off of leaving it high in the zone.

Reed is still pretty wild in the zone & hasn't really learned how to pitch yet but IMO he gets all the K's because he's usually ahead in the count and can blow the fastball by people. He's a decent closer but I'd shop him over the offseason. I still like Jones better going forward.

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 06:23 PM)
Got the job today. Sure it was like riding a big fast upside-down spiraling rollercoaster. But at the end, itsallgood.

Sox management cannot afford to be so complacent. I hope that they're not thinking "It's all good", because it's not!!!

These kinds of performances are going to cost the team wins. The problem has to be addressed before it's too late.

QUOTE (kapzk @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 06:19 PM)
26/30

These are basically my thoughts. He has had some ups and several more downs than we'd like, but it is (typical of ST) short-sighted to write him off. He's got some growing to do, he's just a couple years removed from the draft. Whether or not to move him out of the role this year is a decision I'm glad I don't have to make.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 08:38 PM)
Sox management cannot afford to be so complacent. I hope that they're not thinking "It's all good", because it's not!!!

These kinds of performances are going to cost the team wins. The problem has to be addressed before it's too late.

The best way to make a bad last couple weeks turn into something a whole lot worse is to start playing bullpen musical chairs.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 08:10 PM)
The Sox are in first place in mid-September with Reed converting 26-30 save oppurtunities and the bullpen roles pretty much set. He's blown 1 save(a game they ended up winning) since July 19. Yep, let's change things around the last 3 weeks.

I'd take Reed in the 9th over Thornton any day.

Reed's 2012 has been pretty similar to Santos's 2011, except Sergio had LONGER stretches of outright domination. Reed definitely has the higher WHIP and ERA...Sergio had a better two pitch combination going when his slider was outright one of the best pitches in baseball, like Sale's/Liriano's sliders or Gavin's/Humber's curveball when they're on.

But when he blew saves, he just completely lost it and the game with it...seemed most of his blown saves were on Fridays, for some odd reason.

Half of Reed's 4 blown saves, the White Sox have at least been able to rally back and win the games, against the Royals and Mariners.

Then Sergio had those final two blown saves (pretty sure he had 6 on the season) against the Tigers, those two hurt, especially the first one.

Edited by caulfield12

WHIP is too high. Hopefully he'll get that fixed as he matures over the upcoming seasons.

I can't wait until we only have X amount of games left, then we can use Myers as the closer so we don't pick up his option. And I really hope Ventura uses Myers as the closer in the playoffs, if the Sox make it.

Edited by whitesox901

like fathom said, Reed's stuff isn't as advertised.

93mph fastball can only fool the likes of my man Gordo Beckham, what else is Reed suppose to feature? the changeup? Seems like it's not working half the time. He was a really successful closer/pitcher in the minors tho.

Sergios slider when on = unhittable.

Maybe Reed should become a slider first pitcher and use his fastball less? Who knows.

I know it was shaky yesterday but in his defense, it should have been a 1-2-3 inning. He is still developing the closer mentality to have to pitch over mistakes.

If we made Brett the closer, I wouldn't complain, but I don't think Reed has been as bad as people think. How many lockdown guys are there? Kimbrel? Rodney?