Why Is Addison Reed Still Closing?

Lillian

Reed hasn't had a "one, two, three" inning since July 17TH. In his last 17 appearances, he has allowed at least one base runner.

He is not dominating hitters, as a closer should. Most of us have been uneasy when he comes into a game, and he is simply not a "lights out" closer.

I don't know who should take his place, but I hope they try someone else.

Would you feel confident with Reed closing, if the Sox make it to the Post Season?

Whom would you suggest as another candidate to close?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 11:27 AM)
I can give you $10 million reasons why Addison Reed is still closing.

That's about it. But, I have to agree with Lillian here. A 4.56 E.R.A. ain't cutting it and post All-Star game his E.R.A. is 5.40! Problem is, who? I'd give Myers a shot.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 12:27 PM)
I can give you $10 million reasons why Addison Reed is still closing.

and Sox ownership wonders why fans don't show up for games

An era of 4.5 for a bullpen guy is horrendous.

Edited by kitekrazy

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 12:22 PM)
Because Nate Jones is worse.

Are you sure that Jones is worse?

In his last 19 appearances, dating back to July 22ND, which is the same period that Reed has failed to have even a single "three up, three down" inning, Jones has only allowed 2 earned runs in 15.1 innings, with 12 stikeouts and 6 walks.

He appears to be getting better, with more experience. He does have the raw stuff to close.

I hope he can develop a really good off speed pitch to go along with his 98 to 100 MPH fast ball.

Nate could be our closer next year, if not sooner.

I agree that E.R.A is not that important for a closer, as one bad outing can really skew the numbers negatively.

However, if you look at a large number of outings, and detect a pattern of ineffectiveness, that is meaningful, and Reed has not been very good for quite a while.

On the other hand, Jones has been very good over the same period.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 05:54 PM)
Are you sure that Jones is worse?

In his last 19 appearances, dating back to July 22ND, which is the same period that Reed has failed to have even a single "three up, three down" inning, Jones has only allowed 2 earned runs in 15.1 innings, with 12 stikeouts and 6 walks.

He appears to be getting better, with more experience. He does have the raw stuff to close.

I hope he can develop a really good off speed pitch to go along with his 98 to 100 MPH fast ball.

Nate could be our closer next year, if not sooner.

What Nate needs to learn is how to pitch inside to righties. Everything is away, away, away to righties.

I had mentioned before that Reed and other youngsters were giving up too many hits and walks and always seemd to have to work out of a jam. I think the magic word here is youngsters. Little or no major league expereince coming in this year. They will get better I think but this year that inexperience could be the death of us.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Sep 8, 2012 -> 06:22 PM)
I had mentioned before that Reed and other youngsters were giving up too many hits and walks and always seemd to have to work out of a jam. I think the magic word here is youngsters. Little or no major league expereince coming in this year. They will get better I think but this year that inexperience could be the death of us.

It's not just the youngsters. It seems like Sox pitching is giving up a ton of runners of late.

Not too happy when I see Reed on the mound lately, but especially if it's not a save situation. If this is what he's going to be, whoever he's talking to when it comes time to sign him can just point the browser to www.gasbuddy.com and submit that team's zip code to speed things up. Until then, luckily, he's a controllable player with a supposed upside (and, well- a rookie in all fairness to Reed)- Kenny goes after guys like that all the time after they get dropped by other teams.

Edited by Swingandalongonetoleft

It's worth noting that most closers are power pitchers, and that they pitch better out of the full windup.

Every time that Reed puts base runners on, he has to pitch out of the stretch. Since he has not had a single appearance in his last 17, where he was able to retire the side in the order, he has had to pitch out of the stretch, quite a bit.

That consideration makes the comparable numbers even more favorable for Nate Jones, when you take into account that Jones is quite often brought in with runners on base, and has to pitch out of the stretch. As a closer, Jones would have the opportunity to start with no runners on, affording him an even better chance of keeping guys off base.

Reed, on the other hand, is making his own problems, by putting so many guys on.

I wonder how many other closers have had 17 consecutive appearances, without a single one, two, three innning.