JPINAA

LittleHurt05

Not only is Jake Peavy not an ace, but I am sick and tired of hearing about this competitive "bulldog" bulls***. With two different franchises, he has proven that he will s*** the bed if you pitch him in a big game.

2005 NLDS: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 3 BB, 8 ER

2006 NLDS: 5.1 IP, 11 H, 1 BB, 5 ER

2007 "Game 163": 6.1 IP, 10 H, 4 BB, 6 ER

7/26/11 vs. DET: 6 IP, 10 H, 1 BB, 4 ER

7/20/12 vs. DET: 7 IP, 8 H, 0 BB, 4 ER

8/31/12 vs. DET: 6 IP, 9 H, 4 BB, 6 ER

9/11/12 vs. DET: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 3 ER

And that doesn't include the 6-0 lead he blew against DET this May either. Maybe he gets too pumped up for big games, but Peavy is absolutely not to be trusted in a big game.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 10:34 PM)
Not only is Jake Peavy not an ace, but I am sick and tired of hearing about this competitive "bulldog" bulls***. With two different franchises, he has proven that he will s*** the bed if you pitch him in a big game.

2005 NLDS: 4.1 IP, 8 H, 3 BB, 8 ER

2006 NLDS: 5.1 IP, 11 H, 1 BB, 5 ER

2007 "Game 163": 6.1 IP, 10 H, 4 BB, 6 ER

7/26/11 vs. DET: 6 IP, 10 H, 1 BB, 4 ER

7/20/12 vs. DET: 7 IP, 8 H, 0 BB, 4 ER

8/31/12 vs. DET: 6 IP, 9 H, 4 BB, 6 ER

9/11/12 vs. DET: 5.2 IP, 6 H, 2 BB, 3 ER

And that doesn't include the 6-0 lead he blew against DET this May either. Maybe he gets too pumped up for big games, but Peavy is absolutely not to be trusted in a big game.

He's needs to go back to the NL so he can have better numbers since the NL studs like Pujols and Fielder are not there. Ovaaaaa rated.

Despite the talk about him not being a big game pitcher, I have a lot of respect and gratitude for Peavy pitching so many innings this year. Especially in the first half, he was just a beast. With that said, there are a lot of warning signs that hopefully cause the Sox to not try and bring him back next year or for a multi-year deal. Same goes with Youkilis, but that's for another thread.

If you gave today's Jake Peavy the stuff of San Diego Padres Jake Peavy, you'd have something amazing. At this point his pitching acumen and general execution are excellent, but his stuff isn't quite good enough to make up for the few mistakes he is bound to make throughout a game. Against a team like the Tigers in high leverage situations, the hitters rising to the occasion will sometimes trump his smart pitching because his stuff isn't as good. The real problem, in my estimation, is that his fastball doesn't sink anymore. You can see this borne out in his GB:FB stats. Last I saw, he was in another world compared to other similarly successful pitchers...giving up many more flyballs. This Jake Peavy that is not as good at striking people out AND not as good at getting ground balls is more likely to be touched up as the stakes get high.

However, with all that said, I trust him very much in these key games. I want to see him out there. I know we'll get a chance to win and I know he won't be afraid.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 05:09 AM)
Despite the talk about him not being a big game pitcher, I have a lot of respect and gratitude for Peavy pitching so many innings this year. Especially in the first half, he was just a beast. With that said, there are a lot of warning signs that hopefully cause the Sox to not try and bring him back next year or for a multi-year deal. Same goes with Youkilis, but that's for another thread.

Peavy won't be back which actually will be a setback for our staff, of course. But he won't be worth the kind of money he'll want.

Let's face it. Robin is manager of the year having the Sox two games up in this division with a couple weeks to go. Danks, Floyd hurt and no Buehrle and the Sox are two games up? With this bullpen of inconsistent pitchers? You gotta be bleepin me.

And all the other injuries we've had, DeAza, Paulie. Even Dunn's injury of late has been a killer. Robin is manager of the year without a doubt, despite his decisions that all have backfired of late.

Youk won't be back either unless somehow we get in the playoffs and he goes nuts and gets us into the WS.

Edited by greg775

Really??? Is there a need for this thread? is it peavy's fault the offense sucks when he pitches? Is it his fault half of would be wins Thornton coughed up the lead?? After that injury he's been good, wayyyyyyy better than expected, if floyd, Humber and liriano had half the balls and guys peavy has they would be studs in the ML... I hate that everytime after a loss people go crazy and start these threads without doing any research or looking at facts, just to complain cause the team lost, I can give it to people when a player has been bad(Humber, Floyd, liriano, Thornton at times) but sheesh, next thing we know is the Chris sale sucks thread.... ;)

Not about him being bad or awful.

Simply the fact that he failed ONCE AGAIN vs. the Tigers, in a "big game" situation.

It wasn't exactly "must win" compared to the way the games Wed and/or Thursday will feel in comparison, but it definitely will be seen as one of the many many turning points in the 2nd half of the season when we could have buried the Tigers and let them off the hook and back into it.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 05:29 AM)

Simply the fact that he failed ONCE AGAIN vs. the Tigers, in a "big game" situation.

It wasn't exactly "must win" compared to the way the games Wed and/or Thursday will feel in comparison, but it definitely will be seen as one of the many many turning points in the 2nd half of the season when we could have buried the Tigers and let them off the hook and back into it.

He gave up 3 runs? He struck out 9. He probably could've finished the inning. He made one bad pitch. You don't think our offense not being able to hit anymore when runners are aboard or the fact that no one is bunting on this team to take advantage of Cabrera's s***ty defense is a bigger reason? Or how about this burnt out, gas can bullpen? Poor execution thread starter.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
Kind of late in the game for this debate. He's got four more regular season starts and then he's either pitching in the playoffs or he's getting $4 mil to probably never pitch for the Sox again.

Just hope for the best at this point.

No matter what happens, that option is not getting exercised. It is just a matter of the Sox wanting to fit Peavy in to next year or not.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 02:19 AM)
You're not an ace.

Oh, and I have no problem with Peavy tonight. He gave up 3 f***ing runs and struck out 9 guys among those 17 outs. The only person who deserves blame tonight is Robin Ventura.

Only 17 outs. He couldn't even make it out of the f***ing 6th inning.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:02 AM)
He gave up 3 runs? He struck out 9. He probably could've finished the inning. He made one bad pitch. You don't think our offense not being able to hit anymore when runners are aboard or the fact that no one is bunting on this team to take advantage of Cabrera's s***ty defense is a bigger reason? Or how about this burnt out, gas can bullpen? Poor execution thread starter.

This.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 07:02 AM)

You mention the burnt out, gas can bullpen, while your $17 million starter can't even finish the 6th inning? He forced them to get 10 outs, since he had already thrown 117 pitches.

The offense deserves blame too, but excuse me if I would like to see Peavy outpitch the other team's starter in a clutch game.

QUOTE (flavum @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 06:54 AM)
Kind of late in the game for this debate. He's got four more regular season starts and then he's either pitching in the playoffs or he's getting $4 mil to probably never pitch for the Sox again.

Just hope for the best at this point.

That will be the best $4M Kenny will spend in the off season.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 04:29 AM)

That wasn't invented by Soxtalk or WSI. The Chicago media have pointed this out more than once.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 08:42 AM)
You mention the burnt out, gas can bullpen, while your $17 million starter can't even finish the 6th inning? He forced them to get 10 outs, since he had already thrown 117 pitches.

The offense deserves blame too, but excuse me if I would like to see Peavy outpitch the other team's starter in a clutch game.

Um, he allowed his last batter on base and got pulled. I'm sure it wasn't his choice. And one reason why his pitch count was so high was because he struck out 9. I'm sure he wanted to finish the inning. Seriously, last night is not a good argument at all.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Sep 11, 2012 -> 10:30 PM)
Statistically, he's been a top 10-20 pitcher for most of this season in all of the majors.

Theoretically, that makes him a #1. All the evidence presented in this thread would tell you another story.

MLB RANKS

WAR 8th (TIE)

WHIP 14th

ERA 19th

How dare you bring facts and common sense to an argument. Some of you all are pathetic.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 12:19 AM)
You're not an ace.

Oh, and I have no problem with Peavy tonight. He gave up 3 f***ing runs and struck out 9 guys among those 17 outs. The only person who deserves blame tonight is Robin Ventura.

How about Youk and Wise for striking out in key situations. Konerko for going down weak in another key situation. The players had piss-poor execution. Liriano pitched like ass too. There is plenty of blame to go around. Robin deserves some too, but this game wasn't on any one person.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Sep 12, 2012 -> 02:59 PM)
How about Youk and Wise for striking out in key situations. Konerko for going down weak in another key situation. The players had piss-poor execution. Liriano pitched like ass too. There is plenty of blame to go around. Robin deserves some too, but this game wasn't on any one person.

Correct