GT 9/27: TB @ CWS, 7:10pm CT

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:38 PM)
You could just as easily say this just wasn't our year, with the rookie-heavy bullpen, a rotation of non-horses and key injuries to Danks, Dunn and (possibly) PK.

Think of where people had us before the season. I bet half the people on this board wouldnt be posting if this team was playing like they were expected to.

QUOTE (Real @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:36 PM)
Nobody missed the point, except for you missing mine. Let me spell it out because you missed it: Our front office doesn't know it's head from it's ass. Moving KW out of his role is a step in the right direction, albeit a very minor, nearly insignificant step.

Until I see evidence to the contrary, I think this is a very good assessment.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:27 AM)
Weird, but this is still doable. Didn't Detroit have a 3 game lead with 4 to play a few years ago?

Ginger it is not doable. Tampa is gonna win a minimum of 3 this series, though I still think we are going to win the Cleveland series. That's very Sox-like. Once we are out of it, we'll have a very solid series in Cleveland. I think we lose 3 or all 4 to TB then win 2 of 3. Detroit is not going to choke vs. Minnie and KC. Not at this stage. Detroit's fat cats got to loaf most of the season and win it at the end. That's what high-payroll teams do during their down seasons. The problem is next year they might be interested in playing well the first 2-3 months and we could be out of it in June.

QUOTE (Baron @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:35 AM)
I acknowledged that yesterday. I actually like the uncertainty.

Our rotation will be Sale, Floyd, Danks, Q and Santiago. Yuk. Does anybody really believe that is the rotation of a .500 team? No way. And who starts before Danks is ready? Omigrosso? We could be out of it after six weeks.

What free agent pitchers can we get to replace Peavy? We need 2 of 'em. Seriously ... who are the candidates to join our staff? Don't say Guthrie. He is NO GOOD.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:34 PM)
Sox are in a heap of uncertainty moving forward.

THIS WAS OUR YEAR.

Last year at the season end there was very very little to be optimistic about in regard to the next (2012) season. Most thought it was going to be a rebuilding year. As this season progressed and the Sox were actually contending (much to most people's amazement), then yeah this "became our year". They've let us down at the end but who really honestly thought at the beginning of the season they would be "fighting" for 1st place. This end to the season has been painful but hey, I and probably most, never would have dreamed that the 2012 Sox would even sniff 1st place.

The Sox are in a heap of uncertainty moving forward though, but that's sure not anything new.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Drafting guys with fundamental swings. Not looking for light tower power. You can do that once in a while, but good lord every year we are picking more Borchards up hoping that one will land.

Seems like the organization is too outfield heavy. They need to address 3b and C. It doesn't look like the FA market is the solution.

QUOTE (Baron @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:40 AM)
Think of where people had us before the season. I bet half the people on this board wouldnt be posting if this team was playing like they were expected to.

A lot of people on this board pointed out we still had a lot of veterans and if a lot of things went well, the team would not suck.

Look at our rotation entering the season: It added Peavy and had a healthy Danks. Not everybody on soxtalk thought the team would be horrible.

QUOTE (BigEdWalsh @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 03:43 AM)
Last year at the season end there was very very little to be optimistic about in regard to the next (2012) season. Most thought it was going to be a rebuilding year. As this season progressed and the Sox were actually contending (much to most people's amazement), then yeah this "became our year". They've let us down at the end but who really honestly thought at the beginning of the season they would be "fighting" for 1st place. This end to the season has been painful but hey, I and probably most, never would have dreamed that the 2012 Sox would even sniff 1st place.

The Sox are in a heap of uncertainty moving forward though, but that's sure not anything new.

Phenomenal post. It's disappointing that team has collapsed down the stretch, but there's no doubt I'll have positive memories about this season in the years to come. The Sox are in a much better position going forward into the future now as opposed to a year ago.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
Ginger it is not doable. Tampa is gonna win a minimum of 3 this series, though I still think we are going to win the Cleveland series. That's very Sox-like. Once we are out of it, we'll have a very solid series in Cleveland. I think we lose 3 or all 4 to TB then win 2 of 3. Detroit is not going to choke vs. Minnie and KC. Not at this stage. Detroit's fat cats got to loaf most of the season and win it at the end. That's what high-payroll teams do during their down seasons. The problem is next year they might be interested in playing well the first 2-3 months and we could be out of it in June.

Our rotation will be Sale, Floyd, Danks, Q and Santiago. Yuk. Does anybody really believe that is the rotation of a .500 team? No way. And who starts before Danks is ready? Omigrosso? We could be out of it after six weeks.

What free agent pitchers can we get to replace Peavy? We need 2 of 'em. Seriously ... who are the candidates to join our staff? Don't say Guthrie. He is NO GOOD.

Why are you asking me? Go look at the list of pitchers. A few guys would be just fine on that list and there may be some out on the trade market.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:44 AM)
Seems like the organization is too outfield heavy. They need to address 3b and C. It doesn't look like the FA market is the solution.

We need 2 starting pitchers. Who we gonna get? That is the big question.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:44 PM)
A lot of people on this board pointed out we still had a lot of veterans and if a lot of things went well, the team would not suck.

Look at our rotation entering the season: It added Peavy and had a healthy Danks. Not everybody on soxtalk thought the team would be horrible.

I never said everybody

QUOTE (Baron @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:45 AM)
Why are you asking me? Go look at the list of pitchers. A few guys would be just fine on that list and there may be some out on the trade market.

You didn't hear? The Sox will lose Peavy, Floyd, AJ, Youk and Thornton and won't replace them with anyone outside the organization.

QUOTE (Baron @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:37 PM)
I wasnt having that discussion at all with the previous poster which was the point. Im sorry you think Kenny wont be involved heavily in the moves this offseason. He will be.

Are you fly on the wall in the organization?

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 28, 2012 -> 04:45 AM)
The Sox are in a much better position going forward into the future now as opposed to a year ago.

How so? Are you convinced Q and Santiago are major league caliber starters? They've looked like 4-5 inning wonders of late. If you truly think they have the tools, I'll trust you. I believe you know talent. I'm not convinced. And I'm not convinced Jones is a special reliever. I think Reed can close.

We have no third baseman, a lousy hitting second baseman.

We have an aging first baseman who could have future injury concerns. Our young leftfielder is a question mark suddenly. Or do you think Viciedo is a certain star? DeAza's tailspin puts in question how good he is. Rios is Rios. AJ is aging.

Why do you think this team looks good for the future? It's a little bit better than a .500 team right now as we speak and is losing an innings eater as for the second year in a row we lose innings eaters from our staff.

I think an infield of Morel, Lexi, Becks and an aging Paulie is average at best.

Our outfield is average at best.

Our starting staff is average at best.

Our team next year: Upside of 10 over .500; downside of 15 below .500.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:45 PM)
Phenomenal post. It's disappointing that team has collapsed down the stretch, but there's no doubt I'll have positive memories about this season in the years to come. The Sox are in a much better position going forward into the future now as opposed to a year ago.

The "they weren't suppose to be there" is a nice mental band-aid, but the 2nd half choke job is something were are quite tired of.

QUOTE (fathom @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 10:45 PM)

For the rest of time you can bring up 2012 and it's not going to bring positive memories, just pain and anguish for me.

Reasons I think Sox are in better position now than a year ago:

- Dunn proved that he didn't forget how to play the game of baseball, meaning his contract wasn't an absolute waste going forward

- Manto was able to make Rios into a good player again

- Chris Sale proved he can be a very good starter in the majors

- Good experience for Reed and Jones (Jones was never even expected to be in the big leagues this year)

- Quintana came out of nowhere and gives you hope he can be a 5th starter. Santiago started the year as closer, failed, and then showed some promise as a possible starter

- ADA proved he can be a very solid player, and gives us the best all-around leadoff hitter the Sox have had in a long time

- Ventura proved he knows how to motivate the players and create a good environment in the clubhouse.

The biggest setback was Morel looking like he's not MLB caliber, causing the Sox to have to scramble to find a 3B this year and in the future.

QUOTE (daggins @ Sep 27, 2012 -> 09:52 PM)
They'll pick up Gavin's option and get some unexciting RHP option, this team always pulls pitching out of its behind.

They reaaaally need a 3B and a catcher, assuming AJ leaves for greener (richer) pastures.

His market value has to have dropped 30%. He looks like a player who is intentionally trying to lose games since August. He's suppose to be one of the more fundametally sound players on the time and it's a major 180.