2012-2013 Sox off season Catch-All thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 09:34 AM)
Mike Morse. Former White Sox prospect, who was busy here developing at the same time the organization was taking Brian Anderson and, as some here would insist, were ruining him. Because they're so bad at developing people.

Mike Morse was also busy getting his steroid on

• Replies 662
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike Morse. Former White Sox prospect, who was busy here developing at the same time the organization was taking Brian Anderson and, as some here would insist, were ruining him. Because they're so bad at developing people.

Would you rather have kept him and not acquired Sweaty Freddy?

Just disregard the guy the Sox got for him helped them win a WS. Can't posters find something legitimate to complain about?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)
Just disregard the guy the Sox got for him helped them win a WS. Can't posters find something legitimate to complain about?

The White sox lack of moves this offseason has caused me to feel jealous of any team that is making acquisitions good or bad

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:25 AM)

That wasn't my point at all.

The only point there was that we can develop someone (which sadly some--maybe not you--tend to not believe). The trade with SEA was great, we'd all do it 100x over.

Edited by Jose Paniagua

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
That wasn't my point at all.

The only point there was that we can develop someone (which sadly some--maybe not you--tend to not believe). The trade with SEA was great, we'd all do it 100x over.

The Sox traded Morse in 2004. He didn't become worth anything until 2010 when he was 28 years old. If the Sox would have kept him, most would have given up on him long before that, considering this board has problems with 23 years olds who hit 25 homers.

QUOTE (Bubba Philips @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:38 AM)
The White sox lack of moves this offseason has caused me to feel jealous of any team that is making acquisitions good or bad

Hopefully for your sake the Sox trade Chris Sale for a milkshake machine today. Any move is better than no moves right?

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 10:50 AM)
The Sox traded Morse in 2004. He didn't become worth anything until 2010 when he was 28 years old. If the Sox would have kept him, most would have given up on him long before that, considering this board has problems with 23 years olds who hit 25 homers.

Since anyone complaining about Dayan Viciedo is a horrible thing in your opinion, I'll go off on your ridiculous homerism and your more ridiculous confidence that your way of thinking is so great.

Viciedo's on base percentage is horrific, and he was worse than a replacement-level player offensively while providing no defense as a corner outfielder on a team that lost the division by 3 games - while he had an OPS of .660 after May. But keep slurping Dayan Viciedo and wearing your Sox-player blinders, Dick.

14 jacks over his last 100 games. Let's all roll out the red carpet for the future superstar and see nothing wrong with him ever!

Edited by Steve9347

Since anyone complaining about Dayan Viciedo is a horrible thing in your opinion, I'll go off on your ridiculous homerism and your more ridiculous confidence that your way of thinking is so great.

Viciedo's on base percentage is horrific, and he was worse than a replacement-level player offensively while providing no defense as a corner outfielder on a team that lost the division by 3 games - while he had an OPS of .660 after May. But keep slurping Dayan Viciedo and wearing your Sox-player blinders, Dick.

14 jacks over his last 100 games. Let's all roll out the red carpet for the future superstar and see nothing wrong with him ever!

:cheers

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:05 AM)

Great post. 23 year olds never get better with experience. You really should be a GM. I will say you are the first to accuse me of homerism, and ridiculous homerism at that. Fact is, if all the other GMs are half as smart as you, they won't want Viciedo either, so the Sox are stuck with him. Better hope he improves.

Edited by Dick Allen

Michael Morse tested positive for nandrolone (deca-durabolin). A smart cheater does not use this. He got flagged, admitted it, and continued to pop positive for every test for two years because that's how long it takes for nandrolone to leave your system. Back in the day, people selling OTC nandrolone (yes, this happened) often contaminated other dietary supplements with little bits of nandrolone that would cause positive tests despite not being large enough to cause an enhancing effect. They simply didn't clean their equipment. I do not believe Morse was one of these accidental positives. He also was given horrible advice from whoever gave him that Deca

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:15 AM)
Great post. 23 year olds never get better with experience. You really should be a GM.

Great post. 23 year olds never fail to live up to expectations while franchises burn year after year on them.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 12:05 PM)

He was very slightly worse than the MLB league-average player offensively. Not worse than a replacement level player.

Though I understand your concern. Viciedo's value will mostly come from his bat, and since he doesn't draw walks, he's going to have to make more contact and hit for even more power. But as Dick Allen said, he's still quite young, so we'll see.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:28 AM)
Great post. 23 year olds never fail to live up to expectations while franchises burn year after year on them.

Of course they fail, but that doesn't mean you give up on them when they are 23 or they are what they are at that age like many people here have mentioned. Sometimes, young players actually improve.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
Of course they fail, but that doesn't mean you give up on them when they are 23 or they are what they are at that age like many people here have mentioned. Sometimes, young players actually improve.

I don't know that I'm saying give up on him, but you carry yourself like you are so f***ing certain Viciedo is going to be a monster. He'll absolutely have to hit .300 with his plate discipline to be a valuable member of the White Sox. I just don't see how his approach will EVER yield a .300 average - he's never going to be anything more than streaky.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jan 18, 2013 -> 11:36 AM)
I don't know that I'm saying give up on him, but you carry yourself like you are so f***ing certain Viciedo is going to be a monster. He'll absolutely have to hit .300 with his plate discipline to be a valuable member of the White Sox. I just don't see how his approach will EVER yield a .300 average - he's never going to be anything more than streaky.

I do think he'll be fine. Check his age 23 numbers. Check Carlos Lee's age 23 numbers. Very similar. Lee had a few more hits. Viciedo actually walked a bit more, and homered more. If he becomes more selective, something that often occurs with experience, he can become a monster. You carry yourself like he's a bust. I think he can be Carlos Lee. Both busts as 3rd baseman, both will have weight issues. Sometimes the sequel isn't as good as the original. Maybe this one is.

Edited by Dick Allen

Viciedo may end up being like Quentin. Streaky, just hopefully not getting injured as much. I am talking when it comes to his power surges. He won't walk as much as Quentin, but may end up being similar in HR and RBI. I just hope he can become closer to Soriano, w/out the speed which he doesn't have.