AJ will not return to Sox

Big Hurt35

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 02:07 AM)
I know we need the LH bat, but all good things must come to and end and I believe AJ's time in Chicago is done. That said, I love what AJ did while he was here and he is the most likeable obnoxious jerk I've ever been exposed to. Thanks for the memories AJ!

This

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (YASNY @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 01:07 AM)
I know we need the LH bat, but all good things must come to and end and I believe AJ's time in Chicago is done. That said, I love what AJ did while he was here and he is the most likeable obnoxious jerk I've ever been exposed to. Thanks for the memories AJ!

AJ has become one of most favorite players during his time here. When he is on the field, he will quite literally do anything it takes to win. I love the passion he plays the game with. I wish you could bottle that up, and give it to the whole team.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Why I love AJ.

http://deadspin.com/5930722/aj-pierzynski-...hit-to-his-face

Anyway, I don't know why you guys are so adamant against bringing back AJ. I mean, if the Sox can get a decent deal, you don't want a LH bat who is coming off the best year of his career?

Reasons to not bring back AJ...

#1, we have a starting catcher in waiting who is going to be making $500,000 this year. AJ is going to be making at very least 10 X's that. Probably more like 15 to 20 X's that. Flowers also played much better when he got consistent playing time. There is a pretty decent chance that he puts up numbers comparable to AJ, for a much smaller price.

#2, Many, many stories about his clubhouse antics

#3, instead of spending the money on a position where we already have a young cheap player, we could spend it elsewhere

#4, the guy had a career year, at age 35, and it wasn't even really close. All kinds of red flags should be going up, such as regression, was he cheating, etc.

#5, the guy is a catcher who has played at least 125 games in every season since 2001. Breakdown could happen any day.

#6, If AJ doesn't play every day, will he cause problems?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)

#1, we have a starting catcher in waiting who is going to be making $500,000 this year. AJ is going to be making at very least 10 X's that. Probably more like 15 to 20 X's that. Flowers also played much better when he got consistent playing time. There is a pretty decent chance that he puts up numbers comparable to AJ, for a much smaller price.

#3, instead of spending the money on a position where we already have a young cheap player, we could spend it elsewhere

#4, the guy had a career year, at age 35, and it wasn't even really close. All kinds of red flags should be going up, such as regression, was he cheating, etc.

#5, the guy is a catcher who has played at least 125 games in every season since 2001. Breakdown could happen any day.

Well, that is a pretty good list of reasons. You thoroughly answered my question there.

QUOTE (IowanSoxFan @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:45 AM)
Why I love AJ.

http://deadspin.com/5930722/aj-pierzynski-...hit-to-his-face

Anyway, I don't know why you guys are so adamant against bringing back AJ. I mean, if the Sox can get a decent deal, you don't want a LH bat who is coming off the best year of his career?

This.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 09:52 AM)

Besides getting into it with Peavy, what are some of the many,many clubhouse antics AJ is guilty of since joining the White Sox?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 10:58 AM)
Just to throw a wrench into the catchers' market... multiple reports on Twitter are indicating a possible problem with the Napoli signing. Could be nothing, could be a deal modification due to a medical report find, could be the deal falls through. But that would change things.

I don't think he's viewed as a catcher. More of a 1B/DH at this point, with probably AJP back-up like starts at catcher at the very most.

QUOTE (forrestg @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 04:20 AM)
How cheap is damn cheap. I am not a fan of his when it comes to throwing out base stealer but without that man we would be in the same predicament as the Cubs still waiting for a world series championship. We as sox fans have to pay a little respect to him. The allegiance of Aj to the managers, management, players fans should not be understated. Watching him in spring training with Ozzie etc will make you value him more. I would not be surpised if he does resign with the sox and whatever he receives I won't complain

because he desrves it and it is not coming out of my pocket.

I like this

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 03:55 AM)
Flowers need sunlight to bloom.

Say no to AJ, it's time to close that book.

Problem is most games are played at night under the artificial lights. You do use artificial light to grow some stuff but I am not sure it helps you play better

The future destination of catcher A.J. Pierzynski is unknown, however a return to the Chicago White Sox appears doubtful. The durable receiver appears more likely to end up with a one- or two-year deal from one of three American League clubs .Teams that have shown interest include the New York Yankees, Texas Rangers and Tampa Bay Rays.

The White Sox will be maxed out in payroll at close to $110 million once they sign arbitration-eligible players Gordon Beckham and Alejandro De Aza. That will put the club in a position of having to trade a salary in order to fit Pierzynski’s projected $9 million or $10 million salary into the budget. For that reason alone the premise of the 35-year-old backstop seems remote.

Pierzynski is coming off of a career year in home runs (27) and RBI (77) and may be deserving of a two-year deal at $18 million to $20 million. Former Yankees catcher Russell Martin signed a two-year contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates for $18 million after hitting just .213 in 2012. That contract alone puts Pierzynski in a position to sign a multiyear deal with a contender.

The body of work Pierzynski has amassed is impressive. The Orlando, Fla., resident has caught 100 or more games in 12 consecutive seasons. (The ML record is 13 held by Bill Dickey, Johnny Bench and Brad Ausmus.) He is ranked first in games caught since 2001 with 1,512, first in hits by a catcher (1,609) and first in doubles (325).

The argument for bringing Pierzynski back to the Sox is strong one . First and foremost, no one is sure what Tyler Flowers will do as the No. 1 catcher. The plan last season was for Flowers and the veteran catcher to split the job. Pierzynski got off to a hot start and Flowers’ playing time suffered. The young catcher compiled just 136 at bats, hitting .213. The other part of the equation has only two left-hand hitters in manager Robin Ventura’s lineup -- Adam Dunn and De Aza.

Although Pierzynski is durable , father time has robbed him of some of his mobility behind the plate. The Sox finished second in the league in wild pitches. Some of that was the by-product having a young pitching staff and part was due to the catcher’s lack of movement in the crouch.

Tampa Bay would be close to home for Pierzynski, however due to financial constraints the Rays do not usually hand out big contracts to veteran players. After trading pitchers James Shields and Wade Davis to the Kansas City Royals, they should have money to spend. The Texas Rangers would be a top choice, with the ability to platoon him with former Chicago Cubs catcher Geovany Soto and get Pierzynski at-bats at DH when Soto catches.

The one intangible to signing Pierzynski is his ”winning player” reputation. Although some teammates and opponents have taken exception to the catcher’s personality over the years, many agree he is one of the smartest and tenacious players in the game.

Link.

I sure hope Tyler Flowers can hit because this is one of those offseasons where the Sox are doing nothing. Keppinger for Youkilis is a blah move on paper. And Flowers for AJP is a downgrade as well, except for defense. And AJ's throwing ability was better last season for whatever reason.

I sure hope Tyler Flowers can hit because this is one of those offseasons where the Sox are doing nothing. Keppinger for Youkilis is a blah move on paper. And Flowers for AJP is a downgrade as well, except for defense. And AJ's throwing ability was better last season for whatever reason.

I agree 100%!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)

Looking at minor league numbers for Flowers, knowing he'll get regular reps, and looking at AJ's career numbers and his age... I'd say there is a pretty good chance Flowers hits as well as AJ does overall in 2013. Might not happen, call it 50/50. And "except defense" is kind of a big deal for catchers. Also, AJP's throwing really wasn't much better - pitchers adjusted on the Sox is primarily what happened. All this for $500k instead of $4-5M.

And Keppinger for Youk is probably a downgrade offensively (but not necessarily - Youk may be fading, and Keppinger is just coming into his own), but an upgrade defensively, and freed up some $8M for using elsewhere on the team. Also, you aren't just going Youk to Keppinger - you are going Morel/Hudson/Youk to Keppinger, when looking at season-over-season. That is probably an upgrade.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 09:13 PM)
Looking at minor league numbers for Flowers, knowing he'll get regular reps, and looking at AJ's career numbers and his age... I'd say there is a pretty good chance Flowers hits as well as AJ does overall in 2013. Might not happen, call it 50/50. And "except defense" is kind of a big deal for catchers. Also, AJP's throwing really wasn't much better - pitchers adjusted on the Sox is primarily what happened. All this for $500k instead of $4-5M.

And Keppinger for Youk is probably a downgrade offensively (but not necessarily - Youk may be fading, and Keppinger is just coming into his own), but an upgrade defensively, and freed up some $8M for using elsewhere on the team. Also, you aren't just going Youk to Keppinger - you are going Morel/Hudson/Youk to Keppinger, when looking at season-over-season. That is probably an upgrade.

Nice post. I can buy your arguments.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:45 PM)

Note: The offseason is not over yet.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Dec 13, 2012 -> 01:46 PM)
I agree 100%!

Looks like Greg has a buddy now. Lets drink til our hearts stop.