2013 Video Game Thread

Kyyle23

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:28 PM)
They could stop pretending that college sports aren't a multi-billion dollar industry and pay their most important employees (or let them be paid through licensing fees, jersey sales, etc.)

My problem with paying players is that you've just created a professional league where the schools with the most money will win each time. "Come here and we'll provide you with the richest boosters to pay for your autograph." I get that there's really no parity in college football as-is, but at least now you have teams that win conference titles or go to BCS bowl games once a decade.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 01:56 PM)
My problem with paying players is that you've just created a professional league where the schools with the most money will win each time. "Come here and we'll provide you with the richest boosters to pay for your autograph." I get that there's really no parity in college football as-is, but at least now you have teams that win conference titles or go to BCS bowl games once a decade.

Lets be honest, isnt it already that way in every way except by legal name?

It's already basically a professional league, it's just that everybody (administrators, coaches, apparel companies, TV networks, video game manufacturers, etc.) but the athletes get a cut.

edit: /rant, back to video games discussion!

A little over a week ago I picked up the Quakecon Pack. Given my current pace of getting through games, this should last me until about 2020.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 02:46 PM)
Lets be honest, isnt it already that way in every way except by legal name?

Yeah I mean for the most part it is, but I think if you're truly allowing an 18 year old to go to a school where he can make the most money possible, 99% of the time that will be the deciding factor. Right now schools with money might spend more lavishly on other amenities that get a lot of recruits, but the ability to earn money will trump all of that. At the end of the day I just don't feel bad for the players. The ones who actually make the NCAA and schools money are more than likely making themselves rich in the pro game anyway. The rest need the money those players generate to be able to play sports in college. Add in the amenities they already get over normal students and I just don't see the big deal.

Back to video games, a friend sent me this deal for some older headliners for real cheap:

https://www.humblebundle.com/

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Aug 14, 2013 -> 08:30 PM)
Was thinking of getting it

I beat the first two, this one is just as fun, plus has the mission and bingo mode.

I cant wait for The Wonderful 101 next month though. IGN and Kotaku have been raving about it. I am going to download the demo this weekend

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 08:26 PM)
PS4 will launch Friday, November 15th in North America.

Preordered for my son on Amazon a month ago. It will be interesting If there are enough PS4 to go around this holiday season for people who did not get to pre order on launch date edition, it is sold out on Amazon now.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 09:37 PM)
Preordered for my son on Amazon a month ago. It will be interesting If there are enough PS4 to go around this holiday season for people who did not get to pre order on launch date edition, it is sold out on Amazon now.

Today at the press conference they said they have already eclipsed 1 million preorders. That's f***ing insane.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 20, 2013 -> 09:32 PM)
The Arkham Origins trailer is awesome

http://kotaku.com/bam-pow-its-a-dramatic-n...5558?autoplay=1

My favorite games of all-time get another sequel, and this one looks absolutely glorious.

I like how Bane is Bane now, and not some gigantic two-story freak that makes dinosaur roars.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 21, 2013 -> 08:58 AM)
My favorite games of all-time get another sequel, and this one looks absolutely glorious.

I like how Bane is Bane now, and not some gigantic two-story freak that makes dinosaur roars.

It looked like the knightfall back breaking scene was happening in that trailer

I'm not really sold on either new console. They don't appear to be a huge leap in technology. They've focused on crap I don't care about (motion/kinect, social media integration), and at least for the foreseeable future all of the best games will still be available on current gen systems.

Toys R' Us is having a Buy 1, Get 1 40% off promo right now that ends TOMORROW. Also, free shipping on the games too.

http://www.toysrus.com/shop/index.jsp?cate...+on+Video+Games

I just picked up NHL '14 and Watch Dogs for $95 before tax. Figured I can wait a day or two for those two games, and I'll just get GTA 5 at midnight.

Edited by Chilihead90

Nintendo just announced a price drop for WiiU, the Windwaker bundle which also will include Hyrule Historia for 299.99. They also just announced a 2DS, which will play 3DS and DS games, but will not have the 3D setting.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:06 PM)
Nintendo just announced a price drop for WiiU, the Windwaker bundle which also will include Hyrule Historia for 299.99. They also just announced a 2DS, which will play 3DS and DS games, but will not have the 3D setting.

Still more expensive than a tennis ball, which is actually more useful for playing fun games than the WiiU.

In other news, Madden came out yesterday. Trestman looks legit, and the gameplay and presentation is a true blast.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 12:23 PM)
Still more expensive than a tennis ball, which is actually more useful for playing fun games than the WiiU.

In other news, Madden came out yesterday. Trestman looks legit, and the gameplay and presentation is a true blast.

So is it actually good this year, or is it good for the first 2 weeks and then s*** again like Madden 2013? Because I hated it on the demo and then your review made me buy it and I played it for maybe 10 hours and then shortly thereafter you declared it s***.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Aug 28, 2013 -> 01:16 PM)
So is it actually good this year, or is it good for the first 2 weeks and then s*** again like Madden 2013? Because I hated it on the demo and then your review made me buy it and I played it for maybe 10 hours and then shortly thereafter you declared it s***.

Valid point.

My review was of the demo - which you'd played so if you didn't like the demo (and thus did not agree with me) and bought it anyway - well you are stupid.

Madden 25 is a pretty great football simulation. I need to spend a lot more time with it before I sign off on telling you to spend your last $60 on it instead of on cocaine.

Edited by Steve9347