Rick Hahn

ZionrulZ

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We're waiting while others set the market

It's a way to get deals, and in the MLB you have to make savvy deals (even if you are a big spender)

It's not cheapness, it's what puts you over the top. To manage your resources the best way possible. We can look at the teams that made huge fast moves and played 0 postseason games. It's time to be smart

The Sox obviously haven't been able to do everything they want to do, but it's a weird market out there this year.

This may be a year where trades happen during spring training more than usual.

The Sox will be in Milwaukee 12 weeks from today for exhibition games. I'll try not to judge the roster until then.

Hahn and KW are probably polar opposites when it comes to patience. KW could never wait to get his chips in the pot. We're used to having more offseason activity by now. Hahn is more conservative and can hold out in attempt to get what he wants. Hahn's best skill as assistant GM has been in contract negotiations, so that should translate well when he makes his first trade.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:04 AM)
Hahn and KW are probably polar opposites when it comes to patience. KW could never wait to get his chips in the pot. We're used to having more offseason activity by now. Hahn is more conservative and can hold out in attempt to get what he wants. Hahn's best skill as assistant GM has been in contract negotiations, so that should translate well when he makes his first trade.

Blake Tekotte hates you. In fact, he hates all of you. He's going to be my superman.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:07 AM)
How many blockbusters did KW pull off by this time last year?

None. But Sergio, Quentin, and Frasor had each been traded. And he picked up what would become nearly three wins in superstar rookies Quintana and Veal. :)

Not if you remember Ron Schueler. This would have been a blistering off season for him.

Bingo!

I've always been a huge KW fan. Long suffering Sox fan that I've been (remember a Sox-Yankee game as a 5 year old in 1963), I loved that in KW we had a GM who aggressively went balls-out, pedal-to-the-metal, and clearly wanted "it" as badly as the most devout fan. Where he got himself into a bit of trouble is that he seemed to have become a relative easy "read" for other GMs. Like a bad QB, he stared down his intended target, or telegraphed his punches (pick your sports metaphor), and the other GMs took advantage of him by often extracting sometimes incredible overpays. Loved the passion, sometimes hated the execution.

Enter Hahn. I wanted KW to have more of a poker face, to have some cunning and guile, to exercise patience. Transparency and all those leaks leading to deals (with overpayments) didn't get us very far in most cases. It's far too early (not to mention unfair) to jump to any sort of conclusion about Rick Hahn. Let's see what the man does. Let him have a track record. Let's watch with greater perspective so we can fairly label his style. In my opinion, criticizing the man for not having a "pulse" is absurd. KW didn't have a pulse, he bled publicly. The time was right for a change, but it's far too early to tell what we have in Rick Hahn.

We're waiting while others set the market

It's a way to get deals, and in the MLB you have to make savvy deals (even if you are a big spender)

It's not cheapness, it's what puts you over the top. To manage your resources the best way possible. We can look at the teams that made huge fast moves and played 0 postseason games. It's time to be smart

I don't disagree with you at all.

It would be nice to hear something...a rumor, a hint of a rumor, anything.

QUOTE (CyAcosta41 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 10:29 AM)
Bingo!

I've always been a huge KW fan. Long suffering Sox fan that I've been (remember a Sox-Yankee game as a 5 year old in 1963), I loved that in KW we had a GM who aggressively went balls-out, pedal-to-the-metal, and clearly wanted "it" as badly as the most devout fan. Where he got himself into a bit of trouble is that he seemed to have become a relative easy "read" for other GMs. Like a bad QB, he stared down his intended target, or telegraphed his punches (pick your sports metaphor), and the other GMs took advantage of him by often extracting sometimes incredible overpays. Loved the passion, sometimes hated the execution.

Enter Hahn. I wanted KW to have more of a poker face, to have some cunning and guile, to exercise patience. Transparency and all those leaks leading to deals (with overpayments) didn't get us very far in most cases. It's far too early (not to mention unfair) to jump to any sort of conclusion about Rick Hahn. Let's see what the man does. Let him have a track record. Let's watch with greater perspective so we can fairly label his style. In my opinion, criticizing the man for not having a "pulse" is absurd. KW didn't have a pulse, he bled publicly. The time was right for a change, but it's far too early to tell what we have in Rick Hahn.

I get the feeling the leaks weren't coming from Williams. They were coming from his manager. Tell me I am not the only one who noticed how much quieter things got after #teamguillen left Chicago.

Honestly guys, Rick filled out ALL of the trade paperwork but then his dog ate it.

Mama Hahn: "Ricky?! Ricky what are you burning up there?!"

Ricky: "Nothin' Ma!"

Daddy Hahn: "You listen to your god damn mother! And god damn it Ricky you turn that music down or I'm comin' up there myself!"

James_Rolfe.jpg

bong.jpg

Edited by The Ultimate Champion

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Your opinion please...let's say that (for whatever reason) the Angels offered Albert Pujols to the Sox for Paul Konerko, straight up, no financial incentives. Do you think Reinsdorf would okay the deal?

No, because Pujols has a ridiculous contract that only 1 team was willing to offer.

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:35 AM)
Your opinion please...let's say that (for whatever reason) the Angels offered Albert Pujols to the Sox for Paul Konerko, straight up, no financial incentives. Do you think Reinsdorf would okay the deal?

I hope not. With every year that goes by, that Pujols deal gets worse and worse. Give it 3-4 more years that deal will be one of the worst in baseball.

QUOTE (The Ultimate Champion @ Jan 4, 2013 -> 11:34 AM)
Honestly guys, Rick filled out ALL of the trade paperwork but then his dog ate it.

Mama Hahn: "Ricky?! Ricky what are you burning up there?!"

Ricky: "Nothin' Ma!"

Daddy Hahn: "You listen to your god damn mother! And god damn it Ricky you turn that music down or I'm comin' up there myself!"

Oh wow, a video game and marijuana reference in the same post, that's amazing. Because I bet that's what someone who has a degrees from the University of Michigan, Northwestern (MBA), and HARVARD LAW SCHOOL do.

Keep on trolling though