Healthy Eating Thread

witesoxfan

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 10:28 AM)
Any reason for keeping olive oil out of your diet? Its fairly healthy for you to have some oil.

I'm just trying to keep the weight off, and oils especially olive oil are very fattening.

I get my oils from Nuts/Seeds with a much lower caloric intake...

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Cali @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 01:17 PM)
I'm just trying to keep the weight off, and oils especially olive oil are very fattening.

I get my oils from Nuts/Seeds with a much lower caloric intake...

Personally I am not in favor of eliminating it to lose weight if you use a TBSP of EVOO at a time. As long as you arent substituting chemicals for it you should be ok. Ive seen too often people focus on lower calories and substitue chemically-enhanced items which most likely have negative effects on your body anyway.

When I was on the Steve Harvey show there was a cook who gave me one of her cookbooks. Its all about lowering calorie intake but she adds in all of these fake foods. Overall a terrible diet.

QUOTE (Tex @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 03:19 PM)
I log in to soxtalk while eating half a pack of girl scout cookies and this is the first thread I see. :chair

LOL. I just got mine last night. I have allotted myself 2 cookies per day only if I hit the gym hard. So difficult because samoa's are my weakness.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 03:39 PM)
They only way to eat Samoas is one whole box at a time.

I'm this way with Thin Mints.

I ate a box each last Wednesday and Thursday nights. The scale was unkind Friday morning, but that just gave me motivation to work out some more heh.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 05:27 PM)
Do you freeze yours? I like to and I've been told its weird.

Freeze? I haven't. I know the common thing is to refrigerate thin mints, but maybe I'll refrigerate a few Samoas. Wouldn't biting into a frozen Samoa be a bit rough? Yeah I'd say that's weird.

Edited by IlliniKrush

Wow, there have been a lot of discontinued ones per Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scout_cookie

Discontinued:

All Abouts: The LBB version of Thanks-A-Lot. Shortbread cookie dipped in chocolate with a message proclaiming values that Girl Scouts are "all about," such as Respect, Friendship, etc.

Aloha Chips: Included white chocolate chips and macadamia nuts.[23]

Animal Treasures and All Abouts: Replaced by Thanks-A-Lot[23]

Apple Cinnamons: Apple shaped sugar cookies with cinnamon sugar.[23]

Cafe Cookies: Shortbread with a cinnamon topping.[23]

Cartwheels: Reduced fat oatmeal and cinnamon.[23]

Cinna-spins (LBB): Cinnamon-flavored cookies shaped like miniature cinnamon rolls that came in 100-calorie packs. Replaced by Daisy Go Rounds.[23]

Daisy Go Rounds (ABC): Cinnamon-flavored cookies shaped like daisies; replaced Cinna-spins for the 2009 sale; replaced with Shout Outs! in 2011.

Double Dutch: Chocolate cookies with chocolate chips.

Forget-Me-Nots: granola cookie.

Golden Yangles: Triangular cheddar crackers; sold in the 1980s.

Iced Berry Pinatas: Sugar cookies with a berry jam center and icing.

Juliettes/Golden Nut Clusters: Milk chocolate, caramel, and pecans.

Kookaburras: Layers of wafers and caramel coated in milk chocolate.

Lemon Chalet Cremes: Rectangular cinnamon sandwich cookies with lemon creme filling; changed to round cookies in 2010; replaced by Savannah Smiles in 2012.

Lemon Coolers: Vanilla wafers with lemon zest, dusted with powdered sugar.

Lemon Drops: Sugar cookie with lemon-flavored chips

Lemon Pastry Cremes: light pastry cookie sandwich with lemon creme filling

Ole Oles: Powdered sugar cookies with pecans and coconut; sold from 2001 to 2003.

Oxfords: Chocolate cookies with vanilla cream filling.

Pinatas: Oatmeal cookie with fruit filling and topped with cinnamon and sugar glaze; introduced in 2004.

Savannahs: A peanut butter sandwich cookie

Scot-Teas (Burry): Shortbread cookies with sprinkled sugar.

Shout Outs: Belgian-style caramelized cookie

Snaps: Iced oatmeal raisin.

Striped Chocolate Chips: Chocolate chip cookies with fudge stripes

Sugar-Free Chocolate Chips: Small sugar- free cookies; discontinued in 2011.

Sugar Free Chalet Cremes: Lemon pastry cream sweetened with aspartame.

Thanks A Lots: chocolate filling between two vanilla cookies with "thank you" in different languages. Similar to an Oreo. These came before today's Thanks A Lots replaced animal treasures.

Upside Down Frosted Oatmeal: oatmeal cookies with frosting on the bottom (http://www.oocities.org/troop1087/cookies.html)

Van'chos: Vanilla and chocolate cremes.[24]

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Feb 20, 2013 -> 08:03 PM)
Freeze? I haven't. I know the common thing is to refrigerate thin mints, but maybe I'll refrigerate a few Samoas. Wouldn't biting into a frozen Samoa be a bit rough? Yeah I'd say that's weird.

Its actually not bad as it doesnt fully solidify for some reason. It makes em last longer for me since I have to take smaller bites.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 21, 2013 -> 08:50 AM)
Its actually not bad as it doesnt fully solidify for some reason. It makes em last longer for me since I have to take smaller bites.

Frozen Samoas are delicious. You are right about making them last longer too. They are definitely the cookie I can eat a box of without noticing.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:35 AM)
I am the king of this thread.

http://teamreddy.blogspot.com/2013/04/what...d-how-do-i.html

from my blog...

It's not exactly healthy eating, but homemade chicken stock makes great risotto too.

And it's probably easiest to get chicken bones, but you can use this exact same formula for any sort of stock you want. I have made veal stock in a very similar fashion, except that we coat the bones in a layer of tomato paste, bake at 300 F until brown (but not black), and then cover with water (and a mirepoix) and simmer overnight.

Also, from that stock, you can make demi too - put your stock in a pot, SLOWLY reduce by anywhere between 1/2 to 2/3, transfer to a large sautee pan, continue SLOWLY reducing until it is slightly viscous at hot temperatures. Take off heat and chill, and when it comes out, you are left with nothing but your gelatenous product. With our veal stock, we also added port wine and salt to taste. With chicken demi, it would make for an incredible sauce in a homemade pot pie of sorts.

EDIT: Also, if you want a richer, deeper flavor, you can roast the chicken bones too, though you are also likely cooking some of the nutrients out of them this way as well. Get them a nice golden brown in the oven and you have yourself roasted chicken stock.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 9, 2013 -> 10:51 AM)
It's not exactly healthy eating, but homemade chicken stock makes great risotto too.

And it's probably easiest to get chicken bones, but you can use this exact same formula for any sort of stock you want. I have made veal stock in a very similar fashion, except that we coat the bones in a layer of tomato paste, bake at 300 F until brown (but not black), and then cover with water (and a mirepoix) and simmer overnight.

Also, from that stock, you can make demi too - put your stock in a pot, SLOWLY reduce by anywhere between 1/2 to 2/3, transfer to a large sautee pan, continue SLOWLY reducing until it is slightly viscous at hot temperatures. Take off heat and chill, and when it comes out, you are left with nothing but your gelatenous product. With our veal stock, we also added port wine and salt to taste. With chicken demi, it would make for an incredible sauce in a homemade pot pie of sorts.

EDIT: Also, if you want a richer, deeper flavor, you can roast the chicken bones too, though you are also likely cooking some of the nutrients out of them this way as well. Get them a nice golden brown in the oven and you have yourself roasted chicken stock.

definitely another option, and I may try that out next time just for fun, but I typically get that richer flavor from offal like hearts. kali ma!

Mexican themed chicken (chicken breast cut into thin strips, with paprika, cumin, chili powder, garlic, lemon juice, cilantro, salt)

Squash, zucchini, onion, and orange pepper saute with a hint of lemon and cilantro to pair with the chicken.

photo.JPG

So... apparently Figs are "meat eating" fruits that are not technically vegetarian. According to this, they digest wasps as part of their pollination process, meaning there are animal byproducts etched into the DNA of fig fruits.

Apparently this only applies to wild grown figs. Those cultivated in captivity are not allowed to be the carnivores they are in nature. ;)

http://www.thekitchn.com/strange-symbiosis...-fig-and-126960

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:11 PM)
So... apparently Figs are "meat eating" fruits that are not technically vegetarian. According to this, they digest wasps as part of their pollination process, meaning there are animal byproducts etched into the DNA of fig fruits.

Apparently this only applies to wild grown figs. Those cultivated in captivity are not allowed to be the carnivores they are in nature. ;)

http://www.thekitchn.com/strange-symbiosis...-fig-and-126960

And ketchup has flies in it.

Edited by Steve9347

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Apr 11, 2013 -> 12:17 PM)
Is this true? Not that I care, I love ketchup, and therefore I love flies if true. ;)

The FDA allows up to 30 fly eggs per every 100 grams of tomato sauces, or up to two maggots per every 100 grams of tomato juice.

Not just ketchup, but that's the fun one to talk about.