Bryan Anderson vs Hector Gimenez

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 03:31 PM)
Agreed. Could've had Kottaras, Olivo, Shoppach...but, nope, they signed with other teams.

The White Sox could not have had Kottaras. He was claimed on waivers by a team with a worse record than the White Sox who therefore had priority. It was fully impossible for the White Sox to get him. For all we know, they may have put a claim in on him.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
Considering we have a terrible start catcher, you think we might look for a decent backup. But no...

We don't know that Flowers will be terrible. I for one doubt he'll be that bad. His defense is good, he calls a good game, and he has a lot of power. If he can do an okay job at hitting for average, he'll be fine.

However, I am concerned about the lack of a decent back-up.

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 02:24 PM)
Considering we have a terrible start catcher

I've seen you post this twice... but never seen you say why you think this is the case. He's been projected by Bill James to put up a better OPS than AJP, his minor league career shows some promise, and his defense is already better than AJ's without much doubt. So where are you getting this? I mean, he might be terrible... or not.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 02:38 PM)
The White Sox could not have had Kottaras. He was claimed on waivers by a team with a worse record than the White Sox who therefore had priority. It was fully impossible for the White Sox to get him. For all we know, they may have put a claim in on him.

If they really wanted him, they might have been able to trade for him. I read defensively he was similar to the 45 year old Carlton Fisk. Normally, teams want a defensive guy as the back up. Maybe they just didn't want him.

I do think back up catcher will be a bigger role than it's been for a while. Maybe one of these guys will surprise.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 03:54 PM)
If they really wanted him, they might have been able to trade for him. I read defensively he was similar to the 45 year old Carlton Fisk. Normally, teams want a defensive guy as the back up. Maybe they just didn't want him.

I do think back up catcher will be a bigger role than it's been for a while. Maybe one of these guys will surprise.

More likely is the A's jumped at the Jaso deal and decided they weren't going to tell all 30 teams he was available before putting him on waivers. Otherwise, they'd have been holding up that 3-way deal, which could of course have endangered it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 02:57 PM)
More likely is the A's jumped at the Jaso deal and decided they weren't going to tell all 30 teams he was available before putting him on waivers. Otherwise, they'd have been holding up that 3-way deal, which could of course have endangered it.

He was DFA'd which took him off the roster and gave Oakland 10 days to decide what to do with him. He was claimed 8 or 9 days after he was DFA'd, so he wasn't waived until about a week after the trade.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 04:03 PM)
He was DFA'd which took him off the roster and gave Oakland 10 days to decide what to do with him. He was claimed 8 or 9 days after he was DFA'd, so he wasn't waived until about a week after the trade.

That's not how it works. If he's put on waivers, all 30 teams have the right to claim him. The highest priority team to claim him wins the claim. The fact that it was nearly 10 days means most likely that they awarded the claim win to the highest priority team at the end of the waiting period.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 03:05 PM)
That's not how it works. If he's put on waivers, all 30 teams have the right to claim him. The highest priority team to claim him wins the claim. The fact that it was nearly 10 days means most likely that they awarded the claim win to the highest priority team at the end of the waiting period.

He wasn't waived right away after he was DFA'd the day of the trade. They still could have traded him. If the Sox really wanted him, they could have had him, but would have had to give Oakland something they would want other than the waiver money. The waiver period is only a couple of days. They have a week to put him on waivers once he's DFA'd if he hasn't been released or traded or returned to the 40 man.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 04:11 PM)
He wasn't waived right away after he was DFA'd the day of the trade. They still could have traded him. If the Sox really wanted him, they could have had him, but would have had to give Oakland something they would want other than the waiver money. The waiver period is only a couple of days. They have a week to put him on waivers once he's DFA'd if he hasn't been released or traded or returned to the 40 man.

The A's had no rights to him. Their 40 man roster is at 40 counting Jaso. In order to complete that trade, they had to remove all of their rights to Kottaras.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 03:15 PM)
The A's had no rights to him. Their 40 man roster is at 40 counting Jaso. In order to complete that trade, they had to remove all of their rights to Kottaras.

Designated for assignment is a contractual term used in Major League Baseball. A player who is designated for assignment is immediately removed from the team's 40-man roster, after which the team must either:[1]

return the player to the 40-man roster within 10 days from the date of designation, or

make one of the following contractual moves:

Place the player on waivers (which can only be done within the first 7 days of the 10-day period)

Trade the player

Release the player

When the trade happened he was immediately DFA'd. Not placed on waivers. The waiver period is 2 business days. If they had no right to him and had to waive him immediately, he would have been claimed a week earlier.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 03:30 PM)
Kottaras was claimed at a higher priority than us. We could not have "had" him.

Not off waivers. He was available via trade or sale. He is supposed to be brutal defensively. Hahn probably likes what he has as back ups anyway.

Edited by Dick Allen

I don't think the left-handed bat argument has any merit here. Gimenez is a switch hitter, which by that argument would make him the better option.

I think Anderson will prove to be a better hitter against RH pitching than Gimmy or Tyler.

I am hoping that Bryan Anderson makes the team because of his bat but it all depends on his defense.

It doesn't matter what he hits if he can't handle the position defensively.

• 1 month later...
QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Mar 26, 2013 -> 09:59 AM)
I know that Gimenez has looked pretty decent this spring and should fine in a backup role. However, does anyone think the Sox will have or should have interest in Rod Barajas or Ramon Hernandez who both will be released in the coming days?

I don't see why. The job is Flowers, and he should get the majority of the time. After that Giminez should be fine as a 40 or so games a season back up.