Grady Sizemore worth a flyer?

peteward

Sizemore is still recovering from injury and is always hurt, it seems, but we all remember how he once shined

as an outfielder and a clutch hitter. Since Hahn and the Sox seem to be in the hail Mary / long shot mode signing players and pitchers who are reclamation projects or almost all-out gambles, what about Grady Sizemore? No one seems to want him so I realize that is for good reason, but that said, it might not take much to sign him.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 05:21 PM)
Sizemore is still recovering from injury and is always hurt, it seems, but we all remember how he once shined

as an outfielder and a clutch hitter. Since Hahn and the Sox seem to be in the hail Mary / long shot mode signing players and pitchers who are reclamation projects or almost all-out gambles, what about Grady Sizemore? No one seems to want him so I realize that is for good reason, but that said, it might not take much to sign him.

Sizemore has stated that he is going to wait until he is completely healthy to sign with a team. I remember reading an article where he said he felt too much pressure to come back and contribute last season while he was under contract. He will wait until around midseason to sign.

QUOTE (kevo880 @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 05:49 PM)
Sizemore has stated that he is going to wait until he is completely healthy to sign with a team. I remember reading an article where he said he felt too much pressure to come back and contribute last season while he was under contract. He will wait until around midseason to sign.
Healthy Grady in form would be a great acquisition. He played well against us so all the acqusition of players we acquired never worked out but this guy seemed to be a complete player.

QUOTE (Bubba Philips @ Feb 1, 2013 -> 07:48 PM)
Healthy Grady in form would be a great acquisition. He played well against us so all the acqusition of players we acquired never worked out but this guy seemed to be a complete player.

Who is this healthy Grady you speak of

QUOTE (Bubba Philips @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
A healthy C.C. Sabathia played withe Indians when he became a free agent he signed with the yanks and is now wealthy C.C.Sabathia.

Those healthy situations are neither healthy nor similar

QUOTE (Bubba Philips @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
CC started out healthy hence its relative.

Sizemore hasn't been healthy in 4 years, thus it is not relative.

Seriously, the last year he completed was when the Indians were in the playoffs. CC has won and lost a World Series since that happened. Cy Young too.

edit: whoops, just won a world series. Been to the playoffs every year since

Who is this healthy Grady you speak of

The original post stipulated to the facts about his current rehabilitation and to his history of injury.

The question proffered was that, given the above, would it be worth taking a flyer on Sizemore on a one year

Contract?

Despite the history of ijnjuries, Sizemore is a proven major league talent unlike many of the low end players that have been signed (Lars Anderson, Bryan Anderson) hoping for a reliable LH bat.

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)
The original post stipulated to the facts about his current rehabilitation and to his history of injury.

The question proffered was that, given the above, would it be worth taking a flyer on Sizemore on a one year

Contract?

Despite the history of ijnjuries, Sizemore is a proven major league talent unlike many of the low end players that have been signed (Lars Anderson, Bryan Anderson) hoping for a reliable LH bat.

Thank you for breaking it down for me. He is never healthy, therefore not worth a contract

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 07:25 PM)
Thank you for breaking it down for me. He is never healthy, therefore not worth a contract

Not even a low dollar amount one year contract? Personally, I think he is worth a roster spot. If he gets hurt, little is lost.

Edited by MAX

QUOTE (MAX @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 08:28 PM)
Not even a low dollar amount one year contract? Personally, I think he is worth a roster spot. If he gets hurt, little is lost.

We'll see what the OF is like in June when he decides to sign with a team.

If we have 3 guys performing well, he's not going to sign with us, he'd have that choice. If he's healthy, he'll go somewhere that he at least can have regular playing time.

If someone is struggling, then sure, I'm not going to complain about signing him, but waiting until June is the right move for both him and the teams in the league.

QUOTE (Bubba Philips @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 10:32 AM)
A healthy C.C. Sabathia played withe Indians when he became a free agent he signed with the yanks and is now wealthy C.C.Sabathia.

C.C. Sabathia has never made less than 28 starts in a season. He is a fat Mark Buehrle. What the hell does he have to do with Hafner & Sizemore who can't stay healthy?

QUOTE (Lamar Johnson 23 @ Feb 4, 2013 -> 09:50 AM)
Grady Sizemore at 80% is better than DeWayne Wise at 100%, isn't he?

Sizemore was playing hurt in 2009 and really slipped in performance. He was brutal in limited appearances in 2010 and 2011 and didn't play in 2012. To expect anything out of him is a dream. It might come true, but chances are his days of being a good player are ova. Sizemore hasn't been elite or healthy since Lance Broadway was considered a prospect.

Edited by Dick Allen

Sizemore was playing hurt in 2009 and really slipped in performance. He was brutal in limited appearances in 2010 and 2011 and didn't play in 2012. To expect anything out of him is a dream. It might come true, but chances are his days of being a good player are ova. Sizemore hasn't been elite or healthy since Lance Broadway was considered a prospect.

True.

Lance Broadway... :lol:

QUOTE (southside_hitman @ Feb 2, 2013 -> 07:16 PM)

Contract?

You say yourself that he is proven major league talent, so what makes you think he's only worth "a flyer" and that no one else seems to want him? If he's worth a flyer to the Sox, then he's worth a flyer to many other teams, and there are plenty of teams that were looking for OF help that didn't get it this off-season. Assuming he can actually get healthy (proven by a physical), there will be a market for him, even though it may be a small market, which means he can probably get a contract that is more than merely a flyer.

That being said, his injuries, if I recall correctly and without actually looking it up, were of an ambiguous nature, i.e., leg fatigue or something like that. Those kinds of injuries give me more pause than a broken bone or torn ligament, for example. And a lot of his value was in his legs. Aside from any injury, he is also 30/31 this year, and age takes a toll on the legs, too. But I'll trust the professionals to determine whether he is healthy or not, and if they say he is, I would still pay more than a flyer to get him. You don't lose talent.

We need a lefthanded bat, and options aren't exactly brimming over at this point

The only thing that worries me if any permutation of this roster finalizing will involve some Viciedo time at 3b

If we ...have to, I actually would be fine with leaving pitching/defense where it is......going forward with what we have....and then seeing midway through the year if once again we can make bigger improvements once other teams have their outlook change (which netted us Youk, Liriano)

Edited by Jose Paniagua