2013-2014 NFL Thread

So the Bears have young defensive linemen entering their prime like Cameron Jordan (24), Akiem Hicks (23) and Broderick Bunkley (29)? Plus in 2012 the signed Hawthorne and Lofton.

So the process took 2 years, it wasnt just over night. Jordan and Hicks were 1st and 3rd round picks 2 years ago. Lofton and Hawthorne FAs 2 years ago.

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2013no.php

(edit)

Lost,

I just dont believe you can do it in one off-season, especially if Cutler is going to be taking up 15-20mil of cap.

Edited by Soxbadger

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
If an offense as s***ty as the 2012 Bears can be turned around as fast as it was then the defense can be pulled from out of the depths of hell by 2014 too. That said does anyone know of a mercurial, misunderstood All-Pro DE with behavioral issues languishing away on a bad team that can be acquired with a third round pick? That worked once before.

I want Martelus to recruit his brother Micheal over here next year....He was near pro bowl level last year and if he's anything like his brother he's probably a little misunderstood,

He's a free agent.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:00 PM)
and a lack of actual playmakers. Emery has brought in Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and an actual offensive line.

So basically an entire offense given the quarterback and RB he already had which quickly became one of the highest scoring offenses in the league. Go figure.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:47 PM)
This talk about "rebuilding" really makes my head hurt. What the hell would you do that for? The defense needs a complete overhaul - obviously - so you get some defensive mind with a solid track record like Wade Phillips (I hate the 3-4 talk, he's just the first name that comes to mind) and then you invest heavily in the defense with your draft picks and what's left in FA. But the offense? It was JUST rebuilt! The price tag hasn't even been cut off of it yet. Why would you rebuild it again? There's no work that needs to be done there, only minor retooling like drafting a replacement for Garza or a #2 TE. You can try to trade Earl Bennett or Michael Bush to make this easier but that's all.

Also, of all the options discussed, tagging Cutler and drafting a QB is the worst idea. You immediately use $20 million on Cutler right then and there and you've also burned a draft pick you desperately needed to use for a new DE, S, or CB. If you are moving on from Cutler then just rip off the band-aid and do it and you better damn well be sure you're hitting the jackpot.

If the draft is that deep at the QB position, you can still get guys in the later rounds that may develop on the bench and be the future. There's also lots of money coming off the books next year (Tillman, Jennings, Hester, etc). More than half the roster is open. So spending a little more on Cutler (his tag amount was projected at around 16 mil at the start of the season) isn't a huge deal.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Seriously, I have no idea how you can look at the modern NFL and say "it's impossible to completely overhaul one side of the ball in an offseason". The message of the modern NFL is exactly the opposit.e

And you don't have to overhaul it. You need to make it average. You need to make it so that it doesn't give up 30 points a game.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:17 PM)
And you don't have to overhaul it. You need to make it average. You need to make it so that it doesn't give up 30 points a game.

This. If you have a top 5 defense, that's kind of a bonus, but the offense is ready to compete the way it is right now.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:13 PM)
Seriously, I have no idea how you can look at the modern NFL and say "it's impossible to completely overhaul one side of the ball in an offseason". The message of the modern NFL is exactly the opposit.e

Its theoretically possible, but given the Bears current defense, you arent talking 1-2 players, they are going to need almost half a starting unit minimum.

Its possible, but I just think 2 years is the general timeline for a turn around.

Even the Bears offense, Jeffery/Marshall were brought in 2 years ago, not this year. Which people are forgetting.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)
Its theoretically possible, but given the Bears current defense, you arent talking 1-2 players, they are going to need almost half a starting unit minimum.

Its possible, but I just think 2 years is the general timeline for a turn around.

Even the Bears offense, Jeffery/Marshall were brought in 2 years ago, not this year. Which people are forgetting.

That's perfectly fine. The Bears have 4 new starting O-linemen this year and a new tight-end. That's 1/2 a starting unit right there. And that wasn't with an extraordinary amount of cap space either.

And you might look back next year and say "Those 2 LB's we drafted in 2013 really made a difference in our defense this year".

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:27 PM)

I actually mentioned that. But this offense like I said is a finished product, meaning it is capable of finishing in the top 5 in scoring. THAT can't be done in one offseason. It would've been middle of the pack with better coaching last season.

The thing is I dont think Mel Tucker is a bad defensive coordinator. Its not Tuckers fault that a ball lofted to the endzone found its way between Tillman and Conte.

Peppers seemingly got old overnight, etc etc.

Id love to be wrong, I thought the bears defensive would be fine this year. It just kind of went the route of the titanic.

The plan was to focus all the attention on the offense, and not do anything to fix the defense because it wasn't broken, and do as little as possible to rock the boat. Tucker was a caretaker DC. The gamble completely fell apart for whatever reason (it's not his fault he lost his 2 best tackles, and his best lineman turned into a regular DE). Conte and Wright were competent safeties last year though, decent even. I put that on the coaching.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:48 PM)
The plan was to focus all the attention on the offense, and not do anything to fix the defense because it wasn't broken, and do as little as possible to rock the boat. Tucker was a caretaker DC. The gamble completely fell apart for whatever reason (it's not his fault he lost his 2 best tackles, and his best lineman turned into a regular DE). Conte and Wright were competent safeties last year though, decent even. I put that on the coaching.

Conte and Wright were competent safeties last year because there was a pass rush. This year Peppers is old, DTs are injured, McCllelin is still bad and suddenly the Bears safeties are being exposed. It's not on coaching IMO.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
Well, Rex Grossman sure didn't run as much as Manziel.

It's hard to find a perfect comparison for Manziel, the best I've thought of is Colt McCoy though Colt didn't run as much. I like Johnny more than pretty much everyone but I don't see him being a successful NFL starter.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 06:55 PM)
Manziel is going to have to become a lot more judicious with his throws if he wants to make it in the NFL.

It seems like all his "best" throws this year are just jump balls to 6'5" Mike Evans. Maybe the Lions should draft him for Megatron?

Don't talk about the line as proof that you can rebuild things quickly. PFF ranks us second to worst in pass blocking (6th best at run block, though). The bottom 3 on pass blocking: Long, Bushrod, Mills in that order. Mills being the worst as well as PFF's worst tackle in football. He leads the league in QB hurries surrendered by a fairly large margin; Bushrod is 10th worst and Mills has allowed twice as many. Slauson has been our best lineman, according to their stats, with nobody else having a markedly positive impact.

The only thing that you can improve right away is your coaching staff, it seems, which has been good enough to cover up a really iffy line.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:54 PM)
Conte and Wright were competent safeties last year because there was a pass rush. This year Peppers is old, DTs are injured, McCllelin is still bad and suddenly the Bears safeties are being exposed. It's not on coaching IMO.

This. As we all know the key to a cover 2 is getting pressure from the front 4. When that doesn't happen the whole defense gets exposed.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 07:04 PM)
Don't talk about the line as proof that you can rebuild things quickly. PFF ranks us second to worst in pass blocking (6th best at run block, though). The bottom 3 on pass blocking: Long, Bushrod, Mills in that order. Mills being the worst as well as PFF's worst tackle in football. He leads the league in QB hurries surrendered by a fairly large margin; Bushrod is 10th worst and Mills has allowed twice as many. Slauson has been our best lineman, according to their stats, with nobody else having a markedly positive impact.

The only thing that you can improve right away is your coaching staff, it seems, which has been good enough to cover up a really iffy line.

Oh man, you would get so much s*** for saying this over on talkbears. After I brought up that Webb was our best OLmen last year and the whole Bushrod is only a marginal upgrade over Webb article they put out those guys turned on PFF real quick.

I for one believe in the work they do. I had the chance to "intern" with PFF so I know how much time they put into analysis. They had me do one player participation spread and it took me nearly 8 hours.

Just for s***s and giggles I wanna throw these stats at them and watch their heads explode.

Edited by scs787

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 07:24 PM)
What will it cost to franchise Cutler? Franchise him for a year or even two, draft a QB, and see what happens.

I think it is the average of the top 3 contracts at the position

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 07:30 PM)
I think it is the average of the top 3 contracts at the position

I am not a Cutler apologist. I think he is what he is. I don't think he is going to wake up one day and be Rodgers or Peyton Manning. He has warts, and the Bears will have to accept that. However, I also don't buy the Trestman can make any old journeyman QB. Pro bowler. There are people who get paid millions who know football a lot better than me, and i really believe if they thought that, he wouldn't have ever had to coach in Montreal. Pay jay the franchise tag. Develop another QB. If Jay shows he deserving of a longer huge commitment, fine. If not the replacement could then be ready to go.