2013-2014 NFL Thread

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jay is an excellent fit and is, honestly, a lot like Rich Gannon - they act like him having a bigger arm than Gannon simply makes him "different" than Gannon. Jay happens to be highly talented. Sweet. He's a great fit for the offense we're running. I'm sure they'll consider everything, but it will be very difficult to sell letting the best QB we've ever had go with so many other veteran assets on offense. If I'm letting Jay go, I'm probably cutting Forte as well and going with Bush for the near future. You sure as s*** aren't going to stick a rookie on an offense with so many high-salaried stars

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 02:23 PM)
Jay is an excellent fit and is, honestly, a lot like Rich Gannon - they act like him having a bigger arm than Gannon simply makes him "different" than Gannon. Jay happens to be highly talented. Sweet. He's a great fit for the offense we're running. I'm sure they'll consider everything, but it will be very difficult to sell letting the best QB we've ever had go with so many other veteran assets on offense. If I'm letting Jay go, I'm probably cutting Forte as well and going with Bush for the near future. You sure as s*** aren't going to stick a rookie on an offense with so many high-salaried stars

Isn't that the exact scenario you would want to slide a rookie qb into?

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)

If you're letting Cutler go, Marshall is out the door too.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:33 PM)
jon greenberg ‏@jon_greenberg 2h

Ed Werder on NFL Insider show said he talked to Trestman who said Cutler "told his head coach he thinks he'll be back before" four weeks.

This means he's either

a) crazy

b) stupid

c) not actually as badly injured as we thought

d) thinking about using PEDs

e) some combination of a through d

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:33 PM)
You can count on that. Or if he is still under contract, prepare for the major diva act.

Which is why this dumping Cutler talk makes no sense to me.

You have a solid offense, and can focus on improving the defense, and possibly competing again next year.

You dump Cutler and now you need to rebuild both sides of the ball.

QUOTE (Jake @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:23 PM)

Nice they have the stat I wanted, lets see:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/...-time-to-throw/

Cutler actually performs in these stats better than I thought. Hes bottom third in time to throw, but over 50% of his passes are thrown in under 2.5 seconds.

I dont really think hes like Gannon at all, but hes definitely not as bad as I thought. My guess is that Trestman would like 60%+ to be out within 2.5 seconds.

Cutler is smart, and he is tough. He knows he needs to play as much as he can this season to make his bread. This is his big money payday, after this contract, it is very unlikely that he sees another one that will come close to what he gets.

this may sound stupid, but I wonder if PEDs are even a safe option for him. IIRC his diabetes makes it so he cant even take most painkillers(ie. why he didnt get a shot during the championship game). I wonder if PEDs would mess with him in the same way

This talk about "rebuilding" really makes my head hurt. What the hell would you do that for? The defense needs a complete overhaul - obviously - so you get some defensive mind with a solid track record like Wade Phillips (I hate the 3-4 talk, he's just the first name that comes to mind) and then you invest heavily in the defense with your draft picks and what's left in FA. But the offense? It was JUST rebuilt! The price tag hasn't even been cut off of it yet. Why would you rebuild it again? There's no work that needs to be done there, only minor retooling like drafting a replacement for Garza or a #2 TE. You can try to trade Earl Bennett or Michael Bush to make this easier but that's all.

Also, of all the options discussed, tagging Cutler and drafting a QB is the worst idea. You immediately use $20 million on Cutler right then and there and you've also burned a draft pick you desperately needed to use for a new DE, S, or CB. If you are moving on from Cutler then just rip off the band-aid and do it and you better damn well be sure you're hitting the jackpot.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:16 PM)
Johnny Manziel looks like a little kid. I can't see him lasting in the NFL.

I'm far from a football scout, but he reminds me a lot of Grossman at Florida.

QUOTE (bmags @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:42 PM)
Oh can we please PED the hell out of our defense? I know it's wrong but it's not fair we have to watch this crap. It would only make us league average.

Let's do it now before the stronger testing is in place

If an offense as s***ty as the 2012 Bears can be turned around as fast as it was then the defense can be pulled from out of the depths of hell by 2014 too. That said does anyone know of a mercurial, misunderstood All-Pro DE with behavioral issues languishing away on a bad team that can be acquired with a third round pick? That worked once before.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:51 PM)
If an offense as s***ty as the 2012 Bears can be turned around as fast as it was then the defense can be pulled from out of the depths of hell by 2014 too. That said does anyone know of a mercurial, misunderstood All-Pro DE with behavioral issues languishing away on a bad team that can be acquired with a third round pick? That worked once before.

The reason the Bears offense had been s***ty was due to inept coaching.

The reason the Bears defense is s***ty is because the players got old.

One is considerably easier to fix than the other.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 04:53 PM)
The reason the Bears offense had been s***ty was due to inept coaching.The reason the Bears defense is s***ty is because the players got old.

and a lack of actual playmakers. Emery has brought in Marshall, Jeffery, Bennett, and an actual offensive line.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Oct 22, 2013 -> 05:53 PM)
The reason the Bears offense had been s***ty was due to inept coaching.

The reason the Bears defense is s***ty is because the players got old.

inept coaching, and inept players. Emery partially addressed the second issue when he first got here and he finished doing the bulk of the work this offseason. 5 new starters on offense.

It's a tall order to fix the whole defense but since the Bears would pretty much be directing all their resources at the effort it wouldn't be inconceivable or even really difficult. Especially given the right coordinator.