2013-2014 NFL Thread

The nation's largest youth football program, Pop Warner, saw participation drop 9.5 percent between 2010-12, a sign that the concussion crisis that began in the NFL is having a dramatic impact at the lowest rungs of the sport.

According to data provided to "Outside the Lines," Pop Warner lost 23,612 players, thought to be the largest two-year decline since the organization began keeping statistics decades ago. Consistent annual growth led to a record 248,899 players participating in Pop Warner in 2010; that figure fell to 225,287 by the 2012 season.

Pop Warner officials said they believe several factors played a role in the decline, including the trend of youngsters focusing on one sport. But the organization's chief medical officer, Dr. Julian Bailes, cited concerns about head injuries as "the No. 1 cause."

Link

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 12:54 PM)

They are just guessing that's the reason, there are no actual stats showing that is the reason they are leaving. It very well could be since it's the hot issue, but it's all a guess without actually taking surveys of those players leaving the program or surveying potential players' parents.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 02:01 PM)
They are just guessing that's the reason, there are no actual stats showing that is the reason they are leaving. It very well could be since it's the hot issue, but it's all a guess without actually taking surveys of those players leaving the program or surveying potential players' parents.

But they are definitely noting it's the largest decline seen in the sport's recorded history. That doesn't bode well for the future viability of the sport.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 14, 2013 -> 01:31 PM)
But they are definitely noting it's the largest decline seen in the sport's recorded history. That doesn't bode well for the future viability of the sport.

For one I dont understand why it would do anything to football in general. Pop Warner starts kids out WAY too early. You are just as good starting in Jr High or High School.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 05:31 AM)
Think the Colts regret the Richardson deal yet? What a bum.

Awful trade for the Colts. The Browns taking a RB with the third overall pick was dumb, but the fact that they still got a 1st round pick back via trade is a pretty good deal. I still think if the Browns get a good QB they can win that division in the next year or two.

I bet you couldn't trade Richardson for a 3rd round pick this off season.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Nov 15, 2013 -> 05:05 PM)
Awful trade for the Colts. The Browns taking a RB with the third overall pick was dumb, but the fact that they still got a 1st round pick back via trade is a pretty good deal. I still think if the Browns get a good QB they can win that division in the next year or two.

I bet you couldn't trade Richardson for a 3rd round pick this off season.

Not sure he'd even net a 3rd anymore. His YPC is truly amazing how consistent it is. But yeah he has a "nose for the end zone"

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 07:28 PM)
My folks are in Central IL. Baseball-sized hail in Bloomington, tornadoes in Peoria. Several tornadoes sprinkled around other rural areas as well. Peoria TV station knocked off the air.

I'm in logan square, I can't see more than a few feet outside. It's just a football game, who makes the call here? NFL or Chicago? Why take this risk?

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 12:30 PM)
I'm in logan square, I can't see more than a few feet outside. It's just a football game, who makes the call here? NFL or Chicago? Why take this risk?

Not sure. I assume the operators of the stadium will make recommendations to the referees/NFL overseers.

I'm not sure if it would be good to get 70,000 people to leave the stadium and start driving around the suburbs either

QUOTE (Jake @ Nov 17, 2013 -> 07:32 PM)
Not sure. I assume the operators of the stadium will make recommendations to the referees/NFL overseers.

I'm not sure if it would be good to get 70,000 people to leave the stadium and start driving around the suburbs either

That's not what would happen. They would take the fans to the field museum to wait it out as well as use the parts of the stadium with cover.